Thread: down?

down?

well i reclaimed the down out of an old comforter we use to use and am planning on making an UQ &TQ possibly if there is enough. i would like the uq to be 30 or so degree as i can where clothing to go a little cooler how much do i need to put in to achieve this. thanks for any and all help. and does anyone have a good resource to figure out the measurements of like a 2/3 or 3/4 uq for fabric. here is what i recovered and seemed like good down. 20160725_162012.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ght=calculator
    This is the go to for how to figure out a down under quilt.

down?

2 inches of loft should get you to 30F. Papasmurf from dream hammock has a handy loft/temp chart:

To find the fill amount calculate the area of the quilt and divide by the fill power. A 50"x72" rectangular quilt with two inches of loft would be
    50*72*2= 7200
    7200/800fp = 9oz of 800fp down. For more complex shapes those spreadsheets come in handy.

Since you don't know what your fp is exactly you will have to estimate. It's likely not 800 unless you are lucky. Look up pics of different clusters from different fill powers. If you're are mostly large with very few "feathers" it might be quite high. If you under or over stuff you can always open a seam and add/remove.

Thank you for the info I will have to do some comparing but I think it is either 700 or 800

maybe thinking 700 or so what you guys think

20160728_221012.jpg
    20160728_221706.jpg

It looks like it maybe 700 but there are some smaller clusters... maybe some bigger ones too. I had some down that's was similar and what I did was play around with overfill for some safety margin in case it was lower than I thought.

Overfilling makes the air gaps between down clusters smaller which traps heat more efficiently and helps prevent shifting of down... Basically makes a warmer quilt. You can't go overboard, 30% is the most people seem to go. Some people find it necessary. I don't. But it is convenient for situations like this because at 700 fp the previous example needs 10.29oz. At 600fp it needs 12oz. For 700fp with a 17% overstuff it requires 12oz.

So assuming you have at best 700 and at worst 600 (or 650) worst case scenario you would end up with a 600fp quilt stuffed adequately. Anything over that you are gaining warmth performance on overfill.

You CAN open the quilt to add/remove but as I am sure you found with the comforter... It is a messy job and I just prefer to have something that works without going through all that.

• + New Posts