WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

using a claytor no net with the peapod

Hey guys, Im thinking of buying a claytor nonet to use with my new peapod. Ive heard its pretty narrow...................Im 6'5' with pretty broad shoulders. Am I going to be happy with a claytor? Will I be able to lay on my side? Is the claytor more prone to people falling out since its narrower? I would hate to order one and find out it doesnt work for me----althogh Im sure my kids will have a ball with it! Thanks for the advice!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, Im thinking of buying a claytor nonet to use with my new peapod. Ive heard its pretty narrow...................Im 6'5' with pretty broad shoulders. Am I going to be happy with a claytor? Will I be able to lay on my side? Is the claytor more prone to people falling out since its narrower? I would hate to order one and find out it doesnt work for me----althogh Im sure my kids will have a ball with it! Thanks for the advice!
    If I were you I'd get a Switchback. It has all the features of the Claytor plus more. Do a search on this site for Switchback and compare the two. I'm 6'2', 180 lbs and I get a slight bit of shoulder squeeze with the Claytor Jungle if I hang it too tight. With a looser hang it's OK but just. I plan on buying a Switchback as soon as the Xmas dust settles. IMO it's a better hammock hands down. It is a little pricier than the Claytor but not enough to be a deal breaker.

Miguel

Oops! Just noticed you said "no net" but I'll leave up the post anyway.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have the mosquito hammock, the dimensions of which are nearly identical to the no net. The narrow width (48") is a problem for me, but not in the shoulders. When I lie on the diagonal, my feet often end up outside the hammock, in the netting.

It's still a great, bombproof hammock, but for a no net option, there are any number of options out there that are, for me, much better choices.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I have the mosquito hammock, the dimensions of which are nearly identical to the no net. The narrow width (48") is a problem for me, but not in the shoulders. When I lie on the diagonal, my feet often end up outside the hammock, in the netting.

It's still a great, bombproof hammock, but for a no net option, there are any number of options out there that are, for me, much better choices.
    OG, which Mosquito hammock ( aka Claytor?) do you have? http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

They have the Expedition( 8 ft long), Jungle(9'9" long) and No net(10 ft long)- all 4 ft wide. I had a jungle, and my toes would be in the netting on the diagonal. But I pretty much stay in the hammock with the No Net.

I'm not sure I could be happy with the 8 ft Expedition. But I would still love to try it with the Pea Pod, as the pod will completely enclose the end channels. My friend has an expedition and I MUST borrow it and see for myself.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OG, which Mosquito hammock ( aka Claytor?) do you have? http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

They have the Expedition( 8 ft long), Jungle(9'9" long) and No net(10 ft long)- all 4 ft wide. I had a jungle, and my toes would be in the netting on the diagonal. But I pretty much stay in the hammock with the No Net.

I'm not sure I could be happy with the 8 ft Expedition. But I would still love to try it with the Pea Pod, as the pod will completely enclose the end channels. My friend has an expedition and I MUST borrow it and see for myself.
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I have the Jungle. It was my first hammock, and will proly always be my go-to hammock when the skeeters are about.

I also have a Traveler...much roomier and more comfortable.

Have either of you guys tried the 'Pod on an ENO Double?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I 'think' with the big size of the switchback, you'll have a hard time fitting the pea pod. Just a wild guess tho, maybe someone who has both could chime in.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Whooo, Steve, 6'5", you are a big boy! I'm only about 6'1", 210 lbs. I have no squeeze worth mentioning with my No Net on the diagonal, or on the mid-line, but it all varies with how tight you hang it, like Miguel said. There is certainly no excess width, that's for sure. Which I find to be pretty good. For one thing, there is no excess hammock material to rise up above my shoulders and squeeze! But hard to say how it would do with some one your size.

One thing: are you using a light top quilt with your pod? If so, that may mitigate most of the advantage of the narrow hammock allowing the pod to lay closer to you. I mean, after all, the TQ should pretty much fill up the space. Then again, a Claytor NN doesn't cost much to play with.

BTW, look over at post #30 in this thread
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=12767&page=3 for a pic of a Pea Pod being used over the Claytor NN.

Guess I need to look into that Switchback!

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I am six foot three and I fit into the Claytor no net hammock. I think that it is advertised as being long enough to fit someone up to seven feet tall. The Warbonnet Traveler works pretty good with the peapod.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    The Claytor no net hammock only cost 40 dollars including shipping and handling...... The Claytor is the most durable and heavy duty hammock that I have... The Warbonnet Traveler costs about 70 dollars.. It is like a wider version of the Claytor no net. It is like a net-less blackbird hammock. I like the Claytor no net and the Warbonnet Traveler about the same.. They both go perfect with a Pea Pod.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    The Claytor no net is the ultimate hammock for the pea pod. Since it is already a very long hammock it does not need to be too wide. It is a simple hammock used by the French Foreign Legion and British Special Forces. So it is a practicable hammock. It is certainly unglamorous and simple. But it makes a great sleeping system with the Pea Pod. Sleeping in the Claytor no net hammock is like sleeping in a poor man's bridge hammock.Plus it has got the double layered bottom which really works well when you place pads of insulation inbetween. The Warbonnet Traveler is like a modified updated version of the Claytor no net. When it is really cold out in winter the Claytor no net is the better of the two because like the peapod it is streamlined and simple. It costs only 40 dollars. You can not beat that. I might even order another Claytor no net for a friend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast