Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    That sounds good. That was one of the reasons I was inquiring about the Winter Yeti.. It sounds like it might be good underquilt for the late spring and summer. Maybe it could fit on my Warbonnet Traveler in the summer months. The coldest it gets in the summer is the low thirties. I live up in the northern Catskill Mountains.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Winter Yeti user here...5*F my lowest and warm
    best option for me as I backpack all winter so space and weight is premium for me.
    as far as staying warm, IMO, much of the snugfit is extra material and insulation IF you move around. Think of comparing a mummy sleeeping bag to a rectangle one...both are warm but the mummy is lighter because it is smaller and the rectangle lets you move around. I don't move, so the smaller quilts work for me...YRMV
    Comparing all the winter quilts I know of (here) the Yeti is baffled thicker than anyother. (it is one of, if not, the thickest quilt) This is directly related to warmth.
    IF the coldest you will be out is the 30's, IMO, the Winter Yeti is overkill (too warm)...I'm in boxer briefs and a tshirt in the low 20s sweatin with my Winter Yeti.
    It all depends on your needs
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 12-21-2009 at 08:14.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Comparing all the winter quilts I know of (here) the Yeti is baffled thicker than anyother.
    The Winter Te-Wa has the same baffle height, FWIW.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The Winter Te-Wa has the same baffle height, FWIW.
    yup, I noticed that afterwards. Note the disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    (it is one of, if not, the thickest quilt)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    John - the PeaPod is made for hammocks w/o bug nets. It's really more than a quilt b/c you can use a much thinner top quilt with it, so it's not an exact comparison...but a PeaPod isn't a good option for a BB.

The MWUQ4 is very warm...listed as 0-10F. I've been warm with it into the teens as both an underquilt and a top quilt and was very happy with its performance. It's a full-length underquilt, which is why it's bulkier and heavier than the Yeti...but you also don't need extra insulation for your legs.

The Yeti insulates your upper body only, so you'll need something else for you legs. Most people use CCF pads...I carry a torso-length CCF pad on winter trips anyway, just for safety and for a sit pad, so this is no extra weight for me. YMMV. Since it's a half-underquilt you can't use it as a top quilt...may or may not be a consideration for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Both the 3-season and winter Yeti have an asymmetrical cut which has a little more material in the left shoulder area for better coverage where you need it. To my knowledge this is the most unique feature of this UQ.

IMO the ease of installation and adjustment while you are in the hammock can't be beat with the continuous shock cord suspension system. I didn't carry a sit pad before but now I don't know how I lived without it. I'll often use my UQ for an around the campsite quilt to throw over my back or legs while hanging around camp and then just throw it up on my hammock when I turn in. I think this configuration is a great combination of multi-use utility and weight that is only rivaled by the Jacks R Better UQ with the head hole, which is heavier and you don't get dual use from the sit pad.YMMV.

Now once I invest in a TQ, if I went with the JRB no sniveler, I could get the poncho functionality, have the full length UQ option, but primarily use it for TQ. Combined with the Yeti over my legs and sit pad under by butt I think I might be comfortable around camp well below freezing without any additional insulation weight beyond my sleep system.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Squared View Post
    ...if I went with the JRB no sniveler, I could get the poncho functionality, have the full length UQ option, but primarily use it for TQ.
    Yep - I take the NS on every trip, as a top quilt, for exactly that reason. At least on every non-winter trip, and still take it on a lot of winter trips.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Yep - I take the NS on every trip, as a top quilt, for exactly that reason. At least on every non-winter trip, and still take it on a lot of winter trips.
    Thanks, everyone. I am getting a better overview of this, now.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I am six foot three. Is the Yeti too small for me to use. My shoulders are wide too. The Yeti looks like it was made for shorter people.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I like the minimalistic approach towards using the Winter Yeti. It seems to be as simple and imaginative as the maxed out Peapod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast