Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod

Is the winter Yeti the best underquilt for cold weather camping?

I have been told that the winter Yeti is the best underquilt for winter camping.
    Is it really better than the MT. Washington, the Pea Pod or the rest? It seems so small and narrow.. Does it slide around alot? The Winter Yeti looks small and compact but it sure is no Peapod. How does the Yet keep someone warm?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I am very interested in this question too. How does it compare to a Speer Snugfit used on a BB?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    "better" is a very subjective term. The winter yeti is an ultralight torso-length underquilt, which requires you to use a partial pad or your pack for leg insulation.

The mt washington or pea pod are full-length insulation systems, which are potentially easier to use. They don't really compete directly, as all three fit different needs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Can you achieve a lower temperature range with the Winter Yeti? I know that I can stay very warm in my pea pod and MT.Washington 4 quilt. I was wondering if the Yeti was really as warm as they say it is suppose to be.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just slept to -2º last week in my Winter Yeti with a pad under my feet ..... was very good and warm. Worked for me but folks will use what suits them best. I wouldn't say best as my full length did the same for me before but totally able too.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    Can you achieve a lower temperature range with the Winter Yeti? I know that I can stay very warm in my pea pod and MT.Washington 4 quilt. I was wondering if the Yeti was really as warm as they say it is suppose to be.
    The Pea Pod is not as thick/lofty as a Winter Yeti or MWUQ4. So right there, I would expect either to be warmer on the bottom than the PeaPod. Assuming pad use for legs with WB Yeti, of course. Hence the 0-10*F MW4 rating ( about the same for Winter Yeti with pad?) and only a 20*F bottom rating for the Pea Pod.

In addition, the Yeti and MW and some others are Differentially cut, allowing them to be adjusted tight against the back. This can be a major benefit. With the Pod, you have to use some caution to not have it tight enough to compress loft, and not so loose so as to cause a big gap under you I find this easy enough ( with experience) to deal with. But not near as easy as just having the quilt nice and tight against your back.

But naturally, the full story is some what more complex. First and foremost, the Pea Pod is at least potentially a draft free approach, very much like a sleeping bag. And, at 38 oz ( new ones) there is a considerable amount of head insulation available with out adding a hood, as well as significant top side insulation to boost your TQ, or use alone when not super cold. The Non-snug design allows adding all manner of stuff to the bottom quickly and easily. ( space blankets , puffy jackets/pants, dry rain gear, quilts, pads, Garlington Insulators, etc), any of which can give a major warmth boost. This does not work so well with a snug design, which would compress the loft you added below. A 2.5" thick TQ used to fill any top gap would result in total TOP loft of 5", which should be some kind of warm indeed!

All of this makes the Pea Pod a major contender for extreme cold weather, IMO. However, if just comparing a Winter Yeti or MW4 to a Pea Pod by itself, I would think the former would be warmer on the bottom than the Pod, for sure. Probably by about the differences in rating. In my own experience, at about 11*F, I was just warm enough on the bottom in a Pea Pod plus space blanket. Didn't feel I could go much lower and stay comfy. At about the same temp in my JRB MW4 and nothing else, I think I was at least as warm and maybe a bit warmer on the bottom. I felt I maybe could have even gone a little lower. But, I got a little cool on top with a 20* Golite quilt and warm clothing. I was fine on top with a summer bag inside the pod, at least after I pretty much closed the pod all the way.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    The Pea Pod is not as thick/lofty as a Winter Yeti or MWUQ4. So right there, I would expect either to be warmer on the bottom than the PeaPod. ...........
    I should clarify one thing about that statement. The rated loft of the MWUQ4 is, I think, 4" single layer. And I think mine actually measures a bit more than that.

The Pea Pod has a relatively "measly" rated 2.5" of single layer loft, which should make it not nearly as warm as the MW4. And indeed it is not as warm on the bottom, as expected.

But, I find the Pea Pod to be the most conservatively rated product I have ever owned. The loft on mine is definitely a good bit more than 2.5". Laying flat on the floor, it really is a good bit more than 2.5", though this can be extra tricky to measure. Because the down is so easily shifted from top to bottom(EDIT: I mean: from either head or foot end to the middle). You can easily make it measure twice the rated loft in the middle, but that is not very applicable to field use.

On the other hand, in actual use on the hammock, with me in the hammock, I think the loft invariable falls back a good bit closer to the rated loft. And in fact under these conditions, I often have to make sure enough of the down is shifted down to the butt region, and not too much in the ends. But it is still easy for me to exceed the rated loft where it counts the most, some what decreasing the dif between this unit and some of the warmer ones.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-24-2009 at 10:08.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    What is so special about the Winter Yeti? What makes it different from the other underquilts?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    What is so special about the Winter Yeti? What makes it different from the other underquilts?
    Not sure ..... maybe it was the first one commercially available and made by an active member here so it got out of the gate early. I think....
    So many terrific UQs to choose from now.
    Best is best to the owner I say.
    I love my DIY ones and my Yeti. Want a MW4 and a Crowsnest ..... but that is down the line a ways ..... don't need 'em, just want 'em.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    What makes the Yeti different is the suspension. It has a full-length shock cord suspension, whereas most of the others have shock cord attached to the ends only.

YMMV, but I actually don't like the full-length shock cord. On my 3 season Yeti I often roll either my head or my left elbow over the suspension cord on the side, which causes a gap between the hammock and the quilt. For me, an end-attached suspension works much better.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast