Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images

Seattle Area Folks

Ok, make that Western Washington State. I've heard from two other hangers out here who are interested in getting together for a hang. Personally, I'm more up for dinner to talk first, on a Saturday evening, maybe with a hike first if we meet somewhere suitable. I'm shamelessly borrowing Rain Man's format for the Nashville, TN get together .

Since I'm new out here and don't get out much, I'm going to ask those who know the area better to suggest a place. I'm thinking some Saturday in January. While we eat/drink/hike/whatever we can plan the first WWHHA hangout. Who's in?
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    I am interested. The whole hammock thing is still pretty new to me and it would be good to see how other folks do it. I have backpacked extensively in the Olympics, mostly solo, although so far only as a ground dweller and never in the winter. I am not really familiar with other possible locations but am game. A face to face ahead of time would be nice, if for no other reason than to get some familiarity with the others I might be sharing a trip with.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Depending on how far south the Seattle and points north folk are willing to drive, I'd say Tacoma Mall REI or points north for a dinner meet-up. Hiking might be a bit much to add to our first get together.

For a hang, I'm thinking either the campground on Hurricane Ridge (Heart of the something?), or the hot springs area. Depends on how early in the Spring we want to make it.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, I'm not there yet, but I hope to be soon. I'm in the Navy and will be transferring to the area in September and hope to settle down there. I have only been hammocking once with a homemade setup and now have a hennessy on its way. I love backpacking and, when I can get my wife up to it, she loves it too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Welcome to HF, cody1786. I look forward to meeting you and your wife when you get here to WA. Hopefully by then the WWHHA will be in full swing. (that would be W. WA Hammock Hangers Assoc.)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Depending on how far south the Seattle and points north folk are willing to drive, I'd say Tacoma Mall REI or points north for a dinner meet-up. Hiking might be a bit much to add to our first get together.
    Tacoma would work for me. It's 45-60 minutes from home, depending on just where. I don't know that the REI that is near the Tacoma Mall would work well though. Unless they have some hidden room, there is no place there to meet or congregate without being in the way. There are lots of eating places around though were we could top off the grease levels and swap a few stories. Of course that also depends on how much interest there is from others. I will try to entice my hiking partner, and I know another hammocker from down in Longview that I might get.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    For a hang, I'm thinking either the campground on Hurricane Ridge (Heart of the something?), or the hot springs area. Depends on how early in the Spring we want to make it.
    I have driven by Heart of the Hills a number of times, but never stopped there. I generally try to get back off the road a few miles.

There are two hot springs areas at the north end of the Olympics. Sol Duc is very developed and touristy, and reachable by car. Olympic Hot Sprints, on the Elwa, used to be reachable by car, but the last couple of miles of road has been abandoned. So there is basically a front country type of camp 2 miles back with a lot of sites, all of them covered with Douglas Fir. The hot springs themselves are pretty crude, but functional.

There are a number of other easy to get too spots in the Olympics, although the park generally tries to keep group sizes below 10-12. I don't imagine that would be an issue for us though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cody1786 View Post
    Well, I'm not there yet, but I hope to be soon. I'm in the Navy and will be transferring to the area in September and hope to settle down there. I have only been hammocking once with a homemade setup and now have a hennessy on its way. I love backpacking and, when I can get my wife up to it, she loves it too.
    Welcome. Where will you be stationed?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Having consulted someone who is much more knowlegeable about the area than I, it seems that Bremmerton is more centrally located for where the hangers we know about live. So, I'm now suggesting Bremmerton for the dinner. If it's on a Saturday, which I think it should be, there are interesting things to do in the area. So, anyone think this is a good idea, bad idea, any other suggestions?

As for dates, I'm thinking January 9th or January 16th. I'm open as to which, so post here if you have a preference. I know that 2 of us will be meeting, so that's enough to make this a 'go' for me. I do hope more of you will come hang out with us.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Either date would be OK for me, at least as far as I know now. The wife is out shopping today, and she may well have other plans for me on one of those days.

I will be trying to strong-arm my hiking partner into coming. He is in the Navy though and Uncle Sam may have other plans for him. He will be back home in a few days and I will check with him.

If the weather is nice enough, we could probably find a place to setup our rigs and compare different rigs over lunch. I have yet to have the opportunity to see anyone else's rig. Illahee State Park is pretty heavily forested and should be fairly empty this time of year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I have 5 hammocks, 2 or 3 tarps, and a prototype Molly Mac Pack I can bring to show off, err, I mean demonstrate. One of the hammocks is a BB 1.1 double, and I have a TrekLight double, a no-name jungle hammock, a Parrot Bay $25 hammock and one of the $16 no-name hammocks that are oversized Eno/TL types.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast