Rectangular or mummy pads in the ridgerunner?

I've read a lot of threads, but haven't found a clear answer.
    About to buy a Riderunner double layer, and trying to decide which pad to get.

Seems to be an agreement that a wide pad (25+ inches) is best. I've seen a few mentions of an hourglass shape to the RR hammock though, and just wondering if that's a problem with a rectangular pad? Also, is there a length consideration?

I'm leaning toward an Exped Synmat UL 7 or Downmat UL 7 as they both come in Long Wide versions which are 78 x 26 x 2.8 inches. Will this be fine in the Ridgerunner?

I'm 6'3" with wide shoulders, so would prefer a long, wide rectangular pad like these.
    Weight isn't a huge concern, but packed size definitely is as I am camping from a motorcycle

Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    I measured the RR at about 28" at the "waist"and about 38"near the head end spreader bar.
    If I didn't already own a 20" wide insulated Q-core from Big Agnes....I'd get a 25"wide job.
    So far I'm happy with the 20" insul Q-Core and a custom (home) cut Gossamer Gear closed cell on the bottom.
    The pad you mention will fit.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Go with the rectangular and the long/wide as you were planning. I think you'll be very happy with the results. It might be a bit of a tight squeeze to get it into the sleeve in the middle section but it's an air mattress, It will fit just fine. I used a BA insulated air core pad for a while before it sprung a leak and I totally gave up on ground pads. It was the long but not the wide (only 20" wide). It worked but when I moved I could feel myself on the edges of the pad. Luckily in the hammock it wasn't like I was going to "fall off" but it still made kind of a hump I could feel.

Also, you don't have to put the pad into the sleeve. You can just put it inside the hammock and sleep on it just like you were on the ground. Or, use a sleeping bag and put the pad inside, just like a ground sleeper. The bridge is a fantastic hammock and that's what makes it so versatile.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Keep in mind that with the cupping at the foot end that there will be a lot of extra pad that won't be used. I say that only to mean that if they make a semi-rectangular shaped pad then it would be better.
    I have the long and wide Exped Synmat and it is very comfy and the long version should be fine because you don't really want it all the way up on the head Ridge that goes across the head end of the hammock.
    I also have a smaller klymit mat that's not insulated and it's super comfy too. You just can't go wrong with anything in the RR I think!!! I love that hammock!
    Even a closed cell mat is comfy...not sure that this hammock can be made uncomfortable.

• + New Posts