Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles

Requesting help with backpacking cord for ridgeline and guyline using only knots

Fellow hammockers,

I'm new to camping/hammocking and am still putting together my gear. I've decided on Warbonnet's Ridgerunner and SuperFly along with Kelty Noah's 12.

I'm hopelessly lost after tirelessly researching lightweight, low-stretch cord options for using knots only.

I would like double layer 1/8in/3mm shock cord on guylines hanging on the tarp with loops on both ends for quick removal ( from Tarp and tie-outs ) . While unattached, total guyline would be ~8in/20cm and shock cord will be 3in/7.5cm (shock cord will be allowed to stretch to ~6in/15cm). The same configuration will be used on both Kelty and SuperFly. GadgetUK437 gave me this idea (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/....php?p=1657722)

I'm very close to purchasing 200-300 feet of spyderline cord (1.8mm polyester shielding dyneema from westmarine), but tribal knowledge/wisdom seem to lean towards zing-it (1.75mm) for weight reduction.
    ( spyderline: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-en...02_071_002_515 )

Since I enjoy cooking yummy food, I hope to carry my 40oz carbon steel pan, so being conscientious of significant weight differences will help my 3+year recovery from injury and get back into shape again.

Hoping to get advice on the following:

1 - How much of a weight difference would 100ft/35m be?
    2 - Which simple knots can be used from tie-outs to the shock cord contraption?
    3 - Which knots can be used for ridgeline duty?
    4 - Will a midshipman's adjustable hitch knot work for both spyderline and zing-it?
    5 - Which cord and knot should be used for tarp to ridgeline?
    6 - Will a 1.8mm ridgeline damage trees? If so, what diameter is recommended?

Thanks!
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 08-02-2016 at 15:14.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Hah. Found the answer to question #1.

1- Weight difference is negligible to me... For every 100-feet, Spyderline is 90.7gm/3.2oz; whereas, Zing-it is 51.6gm/1.8oz. (Seeing as Dutch tarp Flyz are 3.3gm and 6 are needed, weight savings are merely 15gm at a cost of $45 for convenience of no-knot setups; not that saving 39.1gm is that great a number before my additional calculations.... In truth, that $45 can go towards cookware/sleepware for greater weight savings)

Anyways, .....

I'd still love some advice on knots suitable for polyester cords though.

My book The Arts of The Sailor is due to arrive, but, being a slow reader, it'll take me 1-3 months to read between my studies...
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 08-02-2016 at 15:05.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    What an interesting read.

http://www.animatedknots.com/rope2.php

I'm sold on spyderline now. It seems to be a great compromise to various issues that have been expressed by members of this forum.

Why nylon cords are so frequently used for camping is beyond me since rarely does anyone parachute during rain....

Given the nature of nylon's tendency to stretch under load as well as weaken when wet, I foresee silpoly tarps over the next decade even if it means I need to learn to sew and hem!!

Now, to find the perfect adjustable knot for the spyderline...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey feller....I did some tarp tutorials. some knots, some not knots and some line......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Maybe some insight in there.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I use a lot of knots/hitches shown in this video. Nice and easy. I use zing-it for cordage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw

Also, use dutchware stingers or flyz on some tarps with zing-it. They would work with the 1.8mm spyderline as well.
    Bill

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Since you're using knots, you might want to try this cordage http://lawsonequipment.com/Reflectiv...2mm-5-64-c152/ Made by a great guy right here on the good ol' US of A!

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey feller....I did some tarp tutorials. some knots, some not knots and some line......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Maybe some insight in there.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Right on. Watching the 2nd video now..

I understand, too tight a tarp can be catastrophic when branches fall.... I imagine Wet, loose silnylon on a windy day can also wreak havoc.

Was there a reason for a single shock cord vs double shock?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Keep in mind that dyneema (zing-it, amsteel, etc) is very slippery and knots do not hold as well as they would in other fibers you might be used to.

For example, load testing info from Beth and Evan's site (appears to be down right now) indicates that Dacron double braid is breaking a figure 8 at 73% of the line strength. In contrast, dyneema single braid (no sheath) will break at 44% and things like bowlines have the tail pull through well below their expected breaking strength. Friction hitches will typically just slide at minimal load.

With that said, I'm using a prussick on my tarp lines and an occasional midshipman's hitch. For the prussick, the common advice is that the prussick loop is made of smaller diameter line than you are attaching to. For dyneema, that's especially important and I typically make the loop out of another fiber (say, small nylon cord). Also, you may need an extra wrap or two. It's working ok for the kinds of loads it sees, but I wouldn't use it for weight bearing applications without a little concern.

For a midshipman's hitch, you have dyneema on dyneema and you can just assume it will slip at relatively low loads. I'd never consider it for suspension purposes, but it's fine for things like tarps or setting up trip lines around camp to mess with your buddies.

For end loops, splicing is great. For in-line loops, an alpine butterfly loop is very easy to tie, holds well, and resists jamming. For connection points, consider using a dyneema "soft shackle" (rope carabiner). I recommend using the method shown at https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d-Soft-Shackle If you must tie an end loop, consider learning how to tie a water bowline. For a general purpose hitch, consider the EStar hitch (modified buntline).

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Zing-it will hold hitches just fine for tarp use, at least it has for my years of experience. I wouldn't use Zing-it on Zing-it for a prussick, I use Spectra line on the Zing-it for a prussick.
    Bill

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    UCR+Treestraps

Requesting help with backpacking cord for ridgeline and guyline using only knots

Farrimond Hitch is an option. I have recently been experimenting with it. Working well so far. http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimond/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast