Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Help wanted: anyone in the Columbus area want to organize a parking spot in a shopping center or something for a car pooling meeting place? This should really be decided upon in advance. Thanks, Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

Parking

I do not live in Columbus, but right off of 65, there is a Lowes with a large parking lot. This might be good, there is also a Holiday Inn, and other hotels as well, they might be ok if someone called and set it up..

Just thought I would try to offer my thoughts.

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Thanks, pick one.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    This hang is not untill april, I have some friends down in this area that might be willing for us to use there parking lot..

Let me talk to them about this, and I will let you know.. We have time..

I think this might work out very well if they will let us.. and everyones cars woudl be secure..
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Raffle List

Quote:
    First up is a donation from http://www.theperfecttrees.com/
    Storm is donating a Ptarmigan, 6 ounces of 900fp Goose down and possibly a couple stuff sacks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Next Up is a donation from www.whoopieslings.com
    A complete Tarp line set-up. This will include a RL with either toggles or Stainless S biners. Also how ever many Guy Lines your tarp needs. Your choice of Yellow or Gray.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grizzly Adams is donating a one-of-a-kind, navy sil GrizzBeak that has been hand-autographed by the Professor himself!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bonsaihiker is donating a Heine pot/Fancee Feast stove set and a book, "How to [Poop] in the Woods."
    Oms has offered up a HammockForums.net hat.
    Mule has offered a slightly use Trangia stove.
    Seth at www.TrekLightGear Has offered up a hammock for the raffle.
    HamMike has offered up - matching 2cup cookpot and 1cup cookpot. The 2cup size is made from a 24oz heiniken top and a 24oz foster's bottom. The 1 cup size is made from a 12oz heiniken top and a coke bottom. They have two coats of black high heat bbq paint.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Otter is offering 2 sets of Slurpee straw toggles for use with the marlin spike hitch. Just like you see in Shug's videos for noobs. They will be of 2 different colors one red one gold to distinguish head and foot ends of the set up. The 2 winners can swap if they like to each have a single color set. Now I have to make them.
    Last edited by RePete; 03-11-2010 at 16:10.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    Claytor 13' x 10'
    Insulation
    trimmed down pad
    Images

I'm in

This is great I'm there and I know that my brother in law and wife are coming also his friend also my wife maybe. I just need to know details of Charles C. Deam area. I have the topo maps and trails but have not been in the area yet. So let us know of what trail heads or parking areas, and times to meet at and we are there. Easy drive I live in Evansville, In.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    It's gonna be a trip to Brown Hollow and Browning Hill now. We are going to meet and hike in from the Nebo trailhead.
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Map of trailhead & possible parking spots.

I have created a Google Map with placemarks of the TrailHead, Bob Evans, and a few possible parking spots. (I just guessed at the parking spots based on the map image. This really needs to be confirmed.)

Could somebody with local knowledge confirm/deny this information and/or fix it for me.

You can download the file at:
    http://n0spam.mnsi.net/Hoosier_Hang_2010.kml
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock View Post
    This is great I'm there and I know that my brother in law and wife are coming also his friend also my wife maybe. I just need to know details of Charles C. Deam area. I have the topo maps and trails but have not been in the area yet. So let us know of what trail heads or parking areas, and times to meet at and we are there. Easy drive I live in Evansville, In.
    The plan is to meet in either Nashville or Columbus, a place which will take a definite shape soon, and car pool to the Nebo Ridge parking lot. There, a lot that will hold only maybe 20 cars, we will meet and leave for Brown Hollow as soon as a time is made definite for when many will be arriving. Whatever that time ends up being, I am saying 10 AM for now, those of us going in first will leave ribbons on trees making the turns and the way to the hollow. Hope this helps for now.
    Mule

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Fall hang scouting trip

Last post from me here regarding the fall get together.

I just got back from Brookville Lake:

What I was looking for (my criteria): Nearby water (less than 1/2 mile RT), trees for 10+ hangers within 100 yards of item 3: get together area, within 2.5 - 7 miles of trailhead, not within ear shot of "civilization",

I hiked to mile 7 from the north end of the Wolf creek trail (mile zero). There is parking for 14 cars in "spots' & about 4 others on gravel. The trail head is right at the west end of the bridge.
    My first impressions: easy to moderate trail, sadly close to suburbia as the property surrounding the lake is quite narrow. Almost all of the water coming into the lake is from someones back yard.

Skipping all the "fiddly bits";
    Site #1 that fits 3 of 5 of my criteria: just short of 2.5 miles in, water nearby, group area. At this site there are a lot of trees, but those within hanging distance (12' to 20') were few & far between, or had other trees in between them or had 1 or two 8' or more diameter trees. There was another site a few hundred yards south, but similar tree situation. I suppose we could spread out on two sites & communal at site #1.

There is another site at about mile 3.5 (just S of the marker) but fewer trees than the one above.

Site #3 is at mile 5.5, water NOW seems fine, but I question the supply come fall. I did not fully explore this site, just looked at it from on trail as I was tired I it is somewhat downhill. From 200 - 300 feet away, there seemed a fair amount of trees. I crossed a stream N and S of the site, but both may be very seasonal. I saw one mostly level site where we could have the group thing, & it is in a slight cove so is protected from 3 sides, sadly the open side is to the west (facing the lake), where most of the weather comes down here.

Late summer, I'll take Firewalker & we will check these (& other) sites for a better idea. I saw no one for over 48 hrs, so the trail is lightly used. Granted, it rained hard all day today, so no sane person would be out in that.

OH! Another note: I realized Thursday, I can't do anything in the fall, I usually have to work every weekend from labor day to the end of Oct. Ain't no thing, just saying. Don't know why I forgot, been doing this show for over 10 years.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 41 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast