Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    IF I remember right, I had about 42* the first night and 37* the second (give or take)
    nice sleeping weather!
    Wow you guys are fast!!!

Colder the second night but I stayed warmer, adjustments must have helped. Tarp to the ground, sung up underquilt, wear more clothes... I would guess I could get down to about 35* without being too uncomfortable. Thanks!

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    A fantastic turnout and it was fantastic to meet so many faces from the forum. The weather cooperated nicely and the trail offered some pretty views (especially from "the hil" and near the trail head coming back). The parking lot worked out pretty well and parking turned out fine. Each night around the fire was quite memorable.

Bonsdaihiker's comments really match mine. Especially this part.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Wow.

To all the organizers, fire-tenders, trail "shepherds" who kept people on the right track or got them back there, donators of raffle items, and those who loaned equipment and/or shared advice, handshakes, and smiles, here's a huge THANK YOU.
    I was greatly touched by the kindness of those that were concerned for my warmth and comfort. The equipment I used by Canoebie, Gabe, and BarefootChild made my 2nd night bearable - a special thanks goes out to them. Without Mule, the Hooiser hang never would have come together. Our two fire marshalls (Clint and Gabe) were unsung heros each night. There were enough raffled items that everyone was able to at least win one item - mmmmm. (Mule and Rug carried enough coffee crisp and large beers to feed a small army) Again, THANK YOU.

Stormcrow waited at the trailhead in the Sun on Sunday making the attempt redeem himself and say hello to those he could. It was a pleasure to meet him the the UQ! LOL I was able to be the first to get his new camo UQ which is beautiful. I'll be sure to post a photo or two.

To those who didn't or couldn't make, you missed a great hang. Your presence was missed. We had a several that were only able to attend one night or had to leave early. Thanks for coming all of the way even just for one nightl

I'll be posting on the t-shirts thread and getting in touch with those that still need to settle up or needed to have arrangements made/shipped. I have one XXL t-shirt unspoken for and a XXL sweatshirt (that fits more of a XL).

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    A fantastic turnout and it was fantastic to meet so many faces from the forum. The weather cooperated nicely and the trail offered some pretty views (especially from "the hil" and near the trail head coming back). The parking lot worked out pretty well and parking turned out fine. Each night around the fire was quite memorable.

Bonsdaihiker's comments really match mine. Especially this part.

I was greatly touched by the kindness of those that were concerned for my warmth and comfort. The equipment I used by Canoebie, Gabe, and BarefootChild made my 2nd night bearable - a special thanks goes out to them. Without Mule, the Hooiser hang never would have come together. Our two fire marshalls (Clint and Gabe) were unsung heros each night. There were enough raffled items that everyone was able to at least win one item - mmmmm. (Mule and Rug carried enough coffee crisp and large beers to feed a small army) Again, THANK YOU.

Stormcrow waited at the trailhead in the Sun on Sunday making the attempt redeem himself and say hello to those he could. It was a pleasure to meet him the the UQ! LOL I was able to be the first to get his new camo UQ which is beautiful. I'll be sure to post a photo or two.

To those who didn't or couldn't make, you missed a great hang. Your presence was missed. We had a several that were only able to attend one night or had to leave early. Thanks for coming all of the way even just for one nightl

I'll be posting on the t-shirts thread and getting in touch with those that still need to settle up or needed to have arrangements made/shipped. I have one XXL t-shirt unspoken for and a XXL sweatshirt (that fits more of a XL).
    Sweatshirt? there were sweatshirts? how much for the sweatshirt Trout?
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    The zip hoodie is $33. I made one just to see how it would work - I liked it better than the t-shirt, but it was a little short for my for my height (I like them long in the waist).

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Just wanted to drop a note and say how much fun it was to see everyone. Being able to put names and faces with avatars is very cool. I now view DPlant as more of an artist than anything after I heard how much work it was to change fonts, colors and do all the things he does. He is dedicated in his writing.

The organizers did a great job of planning this, and it was real fun for me to be in the woods of my youth as most of my outdoors time is up north and the flora and fauna, while incredibly similar, are different. I remember many times as a kid in the state parks and forests of Indiana, and they are all very fond memories.

It was also great to see all of the set ups, different quilts, hammocks, tarps, etc. allowing me to narrow my wish list down. Sharing fires, food, jokes, smiles and hand shakes also added to the sense of community.

Thanks to everyone for making the atmosphere so friendly, the gear so enviable, and the time so well spent. Special thanks to my traveling brothers, Otter46544, Gargoyle, and Barefoot Child. I am anxious to see you all at the Michigan hang.

It was also fun to share some of my canoeing adventures with folks, and for me to share backpacking a bit as it is not something I have done much. I hardly have enough time to paddle, now I gotta figure out how to get some time in packing.

Again, thanks to everyone, a tremendous sense of community for a bunch of strangers on the internet getting together. We talked a lot of the quality of people that are part of this forum and the positive culture of which we all are a part. It was manifested in the wonderful experience of this last weekend for me.

P.S. I just notice I broke 1,000 posts. Woo Hoo!!
    Last edited by canoebie; 04-19-2010 at 09:25.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

HH 2010 Stufffffffff

Hey HH'erz

GREAT fun meeting one of the most creative bunch of guys I can imagine. WOW ... did I bring home some homework to tweek my gear more. THANK "YOU" ForumFriends !

Below is an email I tried to send to GrizzAdams and one needs something special to access his email which seemed like a lot of "work", so when you read the below ... you'll probably surmize I'm not up for a lot of "work" yet.

HEY, lets do it again ANYWHERE not toooooooo fer a way?

My first "group" hang has many GREAT memories ...

dp

GrizzDave,

It was super seeing you at the HH. I can't believe you "hung-around" on your way home from Italy. You must have used the Indy airport?

AND, I was one jealous guy when I saw your "real" kilt ! Way to go. Plus, you looked most natural in it. got Scotch/Irish in your pipes? You could fool me if you don't ...

I want to share with you, remembering your Cuben Mock engineering in progress. My "coat lining" single layer WallyWorld polyester "FAILED" Saturday nite.

One of the head/top spreader bar junctions, the fabric just past the seam gave way and BOOM, I was on the ground about 1am. So, be careful with your Cuben especially if it is a Bridge?

FYI: I got REALLY frustrated as I didn't have a ground pad. (33*/frosty windshield that morning) I packed up and started to hike out to my car about 1:15am. Couldn't see the trail very well with a lamp even, soooooooo I abandoned and hit the leaves. As my luck goes, a curious deer circled me for about an hour about 3am. MERCY that un-nerves me. I played "dead", rather than try to intimidate "it". The last deer I had circle me was a HUGE buck, which I saw the next morning. I was about 20 yards from it's bed ... as he spooked out at daybreak. That snorting and ground stamping really frightens "me".

I couldn't wait for daybreak. I was HIKING at 6:15 and in the car at 7:15. Pretty cold nite with just my top quilt over me and my feet out. Left my boots on in case I needed to move around being that I was a "couch-crasher" in the wildlifes bedroom.

AnnieWHO ... wanted you to know about my Bridge fabric failure. There must be HUGE amount of stresses on those spanner bar junctions.

TTYL
    Good to see you again ...
    "dplant" KokomoDave

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune and suffering.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I guess I'll have to pass on it then. I like mine long as well. It was great hikin out with ya. I hope there wasn't any damage to the van from pullin over. I had a great time so thanks to you and Mule for the organizing. Thanks to Jake and Gabe for tendin to the fires. There was alot of good coversation around those fires. Joke night was a hoot with the back and forth between Canoebie and Skyline. I was taken by surprise with Mules gator joke, just not somethin I expected to come out of Mule, I loved it. Hey Mule(choke, choke) Here! Barefootchild was always a great source of entertainment, Thanks for the spirits! Killer brownies Bonzai! Great jerky Gargoyle!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One of my fears when I was in college was hearing someone say to me, "Boy, you shoulda oughta been there last weekend."

Looks like I missed a great time. Glad to hear so many good folks getting together and making some great memories.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    DPLANT, SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR FAILED CUBEN, IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL THING. YA KNOW, THEY SAY THAT THE HILL IS HAUNTED.... Perhaps karma ??
    Nice to meet you and glad your ok.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 81 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast