Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    I would be willing to join as well. I am new to hammock'ing and would probably be on my first hang around that time of year (as I purchase the gear that I need). If available, I'm sure my brother would be willing to join too. Although, he would probably be on the ground. I'll be following this thread. Thanks for putting this together if it happens.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I would definitely be interested. How far do you all want to hike? I would go back to Browning Hill for 6 miles both ways or Brown Hollow for 4 miles there and back, or the Deam Wilderness where there are good campsites from a mile in to 5 miles in. In the Deam, we could park at the tower or the Grubb Ridge parking lot and just hike till we found a nice spot.
    Then there are other destinations like Hayes Branch for about 10 miles for the loop.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    I'm going to take a leap and say that Charles Deam seems to be an acceptable location.

Here are some basic instructions to getting there:
    If you are comming from Indianapolis take Indiana 37 south untill you get to Indiana 46 and you want to take that east.Then when you get to Indiana 446 you will turn right at the stop light and you will be going southeast.You will see the sign to Charles C.Deam Wilderness on you left hand side.There are 3 trail heads to park at Blackwell,Grubb Ridge,and Hickory Ridge. The U.S Forest Service phone number is 1-812-275-5987.

Also, you can get a print a free copy of the trails at this web address:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/imag...l_map_ccdw.gif

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    A date needs to be selected. In april, we have (going from Fri thru Sunday) the 2nd - 4th, 9th - 11th, 16th - 18th, and 23rd - 25th. The first weekend is associated with Easter and there are a lot of events that happen the day after taxes are due, so I'm thinking maybe the weekend of the 23rd. Friday, we can meet-up and camp so those that want to hang just for the night can do that with the group. Saturday and Sunday, we'll do a reasonably easy hike. The easy miles will allow new backpackers/young backpackers can enjoy themselves, give plenty of time to just relax, and ensure enough time to drive back home (for those of us who are more than an hour or two away).

The Grubb ridge trail and maybe some trail connecting it seems like a good choice depending on the weather conditions. I've read that Grubb is a favorite of many hikers. I don't have any particular preferences or experience with the trail or the date, except Easter Weekend.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think I'll be able to come, provided work doesn't interfere. Problem is that I won't get any definite time off notice until February at the earliest. I've already committed to work my second job on Apr. 3. I also need to schedule my son's birthday backpacking trip at the end of April or beginning of May, so when we get a date locked down here I'll see what I can do. Love to be able to meet you all!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    M50 Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopie
    Images
    I hope this all comes together, it really sounds fun. I've never been to Charles deam wilderness. I definitely will be following this thread.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Count me in (if work allows). The Deam Wilderness would be an excellent location, have hiked and camped there many times. Fairly easy trails, plenty of water, and numerous locations to hang. I can probably make any weekend in April work, except for Easter weekend.
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Love the idea. Dont really care what format you choose. Dates are a bit rough for me. I work the weekend of the 9th and 23rd. If I can make it great and if not well there is always next time. Sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in for a definite maybe.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Love the idea. Dont really care what format you choose. Dates are a bit rough for me. I work the weekend of the 9th and 23rd. If I can make it great and if not well there is always next time. Sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in for a definite maybe.
    Lets tentatively rule out those two weekend so Otter can come.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

The Deam, Are you Sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Charles Deem sounds like a good plan. I'm in.
    THE DEAM Wilderness area is OK, but in the spring can be crowded in places. Both the Grubb Ridge trails and the Sycamore and Axium Branch trails are very busy. I have seen it where there was no room in either of the grubb parking lots and almost no room at the Tower parking lot.
    But if we parked at Crooked Creek Lake or the parking lot right past it, called the Handicapped Parking lot (for some odd reason) we could hike in about 4 miles to the Hayes Branch or about 3 miles to Panther Creek (branch) on the Tecumseh Trail. It is not crowded, in fact is secluded, and very beautiful. The trail is a little iffy in places but we only get lost about half the time there. Here are some pictures of Panther Creek and Hayes Branch. Nobody but a few of us ever goes there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast