Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hammock for the yard

My wife loves the cotton rope hammock that she has strung between to pine trees in the yard. She leaves it up spring summer and fall. The spot is very shady but is exposed to the weather. The hammocks last 1 or 2 seasons and then need to be replaced as the ropes start to fail at that point. Mother in law sat on the hammock fell through when the current failure started happening and got tangled up. She was not physically hurt, I wasn't home to witness but I'm sure it was an entertaining site.

So it is time to replace the hammock. My wife asked me to get a new one that perhaps won't fail as quickly when left out all the time. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Cotton left out in the weather for months and months is just a bad idea. Synthetics aren't as susceptible to rot but the sun quickly degrades the fabric. Maybe you can build a small waterproof storage box and some quick-release suspension. She comes outside, connects one end to the opposing tree and it's nap time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post
    My wife loves the cotton rope hammock that she has strung between to pine trees in the yard. She leaves it up spring summer and fall. The spot is very shady but is exposed to the weather. The hammocks last 1 or 2 seasons and then need to be replaced as the ropes start to fail at that point. Mother in law sat on the hammock fell through when the current failure started happening and got tangled up. She was not physically hurt, I wasn't home to witness but I'm sure it was an entertaining site.

So it is time to replace the hammock. My wife asked me to get a new one that perhaps won't fail as quickly when left out all the time. Any suggestions?
    There aren't many that can take the sun and rain. There are some new rope hammocks made of polyester that may last a bit longer but they aren't a smooth.

Why not carabiners so you can leave the attachment points on the trees and quickly bring out the hammock and attach it when you want it?

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. 1.6oz. HyperD
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli Pro
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    +1 on the carabiner idea. That way you can easily take it down and setup in seconds.
    If you are under control, you are not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    Why not carabiners so you can leave the attachment points on the trees and quickly bring out the hammock and attach it when you want it?
    Thanks. My wife doesn't like this idea because she want to be able to come home from work and sneak off into the hammock and decompress with a few minutes of alone time before before alerting the family to her presence. Of course she also thinks that would be a lot of work. She spends her day working in an inpatient psychiatric hospital so she needs this time some days.

I'm going to pick up a synthetic rope hammcok and see how that goes. Very little sunlight penetrates this spot so hopefully it keeps the misses happy for a while. thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post
    Thanks. My wife doesn't like this idea because she want to be able to come home from work and sneak off into the hammock and decompress with a few minutes of alone time before before alerting the family to her presence. Of course she also thinks that would be a lot of work. She spends her day working in an inpatient psychiatric hospital so she needs this time some days.

I'm going to pick up a synthetic rope hammcok and see how that goes. Very little sunlight penetrates this spot so hopefully it keeps the misses happy for a while. thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    Why not set it up with carabiners, and show her how easy it is? Maybe she won't go for it, but if she does the hammock will last a lot longer. If she doesn't, you're just out the cost of the carabiners -- and it'll be that much easier for you when you take it in for the winter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Doesn't the hammock get wet and covered in mildew from being outdoors all the time? What about animals and their "waste"?? It doesn't sound so relaxing to plop down in a hammock that's been living strictly outside. Even the deck furniture comes inside for a cleaning or when not in use.

Images
    A mayan in nylon, instead of cotton, should fit your bill,

I've had my cotton one for three years, but I do bring it in if it's rainy.
    http://hammocksrada.com/22-larger-hammock-no-20.html#

Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    Why not set it up with carabiners, and show her how easy it is? Maybe she won't go for it, but if she does the hammock will last a lot longer. If she doesn't, you're just out the cost of the carabiners -- and it'll be that much easier for you when you take it in for the winter.
    I put up the old one with S hooks and that was too much work to take down and put up. I think she really craves the ease of sneaking off without alerting the kids and husband to her presences. The hanging spot is is a bit like a private room in the middle of some big aged pine trees.

The hammock definately gets wet but I haven't seen any mildew. The ropes do rot away though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast