MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'd be happy to help if I can.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Lots of nice old machines so figure I would show mine. It was given to me 20 some years ago. I do believe this is a Japan made 1/2 size machine, it's about all I know.

Ive been seeing a bunch of these older antique type machines. (Probably not the same one, but the same looking shape)

But they never come with manuals. Are they relatively easy to use?

I have a cheap $30 mini machine that does only 1 type of stitch. But i was looking for a nice machine to use, instead.

Most of these antique looking ones seem to go for $50 in 'working' condition. So I thought it may be a good strong machine to use. But I have pretty much zero experience with machines (About 2 hours of sewing cut up pieces of t-shirts.)

Are these pretty easy to figure out and thread, with little experience?

I figure the $50 'working' ones on craigslist are a good deal..... But if the are difficult to thread and learn, then it's as good as worthless.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Ive been seeing a bunch of these older antique type machines. (Probably not the same one, but the same looking shape)

I have a cheap $30 mini machine that does only 1 type of stitch. But i was looking for a nice machine to use, instead.

Most of these antique looking ones seem to go for $50 in 'working' condition. So I thought it may be a good strong machine to use. But I have pretty much zero experience with machines (About 2 hours of sewing cut up pieces of t-shirts.)

I figure the $50 'working' ones on craigslist are a good deal..... But if the are difficult to thread and learn, then it's as good as worthless.
    I can't speak for other machines as I don't have experience with them, but the old Singers are very straight forward. The older ones will have a serial number on the front right corner of the base. Look that up here and it will tell you what the model number is and when it was made. You should be able to find the manuals for all the common models online for free.
    Most of the "working" ones on CL just need some cleaning and oil. One thing to watch out for in the older machines is the condition of the power cords. Cords are easily replaced though. This is a popular source for cords, belts and what not.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post

Those are a singer clones made by the Japanese right after the end of WW2. The work as well as the old singers themselves and most only do a straight stitch. The good news is that you can make 99.9 percent of the items on this forum with one. They Aldo are very capable of stitching heavier things like canvas, upholstery fabric. Although folks we'll show you that they can also punch leather (they can), these are not industrial machines designed for that. You will stress these older machine sewing thick leather.

If you can get one for $50, buy it...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    I couldn't resist, after hearing so much about the Necchi machines, I had an opportunity to pick this up.

I paid more the I probably should have but what the heck... You only live once. Just finished sorting it out and it runs really well... Now I understand why folks like these machines. I also got the last of my supplies needed to start my first project. So next week I will make my first DIY hammock....
    I saw your intro post on the Necchi sewing machine club - yahoo groups, and wondered if you were a HF member. I know you're gonna enjoy that Supernova as I have a few of them too. (among other models) Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to talk Necchi.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    I saw your intro post on the Necchi sewing machine club - yahoo groups, and wondered if you were a HF member. I know you're gonna enjoy that Supernova as I have a few of them too. (among other models) Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to talk Necchi.
    Thanks, I'll take you up on that.... I've had it for 3 days and up till this morning it's been kicking my butt <grin>... I'm a lot more knowledgable about the Singers, I really like them a lot... But the Necchi is so smooth... I'm really glad I got it...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    FJRpilot ... just hunted you up on the Necchi group. What kind of stitch problems are you having? Photo?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    FJRpilot ... just hunted you up on the Necchi group. What kind of stitch problems are you having? Photo?
    Got it all sorted out, but thanks for the offer... It turned out to be the top tension. Someone had taken it apart and re-assembled it wrong. I didn't catch it until I had looked at almost everything else. The machine is running almost perfectly now. Still have a few minor issues to work out with the cams but the machine is everything I hoped it would be.

I'm thinking about replacing the stock foot controller for a new electronic one. Any thoughts or recommendations?

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    This is the only new electronic controller I've tried...http://shop.sew-classic.com/Foot-Con...p-SCE168FC.htm

It works well, but the old controllers are more comfortable for me to use. I like being able to rest my foot on the stationary "button", only having to rock the ball of my foot down to push the active button.

I take the old carbon pile controllers apart, clean (and adjust if necessary) the brass contacts and clean the dust and (occasional) roughness off of the carbon disks by rubbing them across a sheet of newspaper. It really perks them up and provides better speed control. However, I don't recommend cleaning the carbon disks unless you also have a parts donor controller (broken case, burned up contacts, etc) as the disks are easily broken.

• + New Posts
  • Page 103 of 198 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast