Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    SnuggPak
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    I couldn't help myself....

Yesterday's local find: Elna Supermatic Type 722010 . Knee control.
    $50 with case and a pretty full set of accessories, including the #03 cam which is required for zig-zag.
    And, no flat spot on the driver wheel, so only a dusting and oiling was required to get it performing well.
    Attachment 90056
    If that machine is open underneath,it would be excellent for hemming bags,shirts,sleeves,pants legs,and tight areas where the material needs to travel around the machine.
    Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

I have a White D'lite I bought for my wife years ago so we could make a huge quilt for her parents for Christmas. It was an adventure to say the least and she hasn't really used it since.
    I believe it is a run of the mill sewing machine. I'm no sewing machine expert. In fact I know little to nothing about it.
    If anyone does I'd love to hear it.

T

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SCWalker View Post
    If that machine is open underneath,it would be excellent for hemming bags,shirts,sleeves,pants legs,and tight areas where the material needs to travel around the machine.
    The Elna Supermatic was one of the 'early' free arm home/domestic sewing machines that appeared in Canada/US after WWII - some historian can correct this- and I think that was the reason for its instant popularity with folks who could afford one.
    Industrial free arm machines were common even in the 1930s (and earlier?) I think.

Not a lot of gear sewing needs a free-arm, but it's handy for stuff sacs if you turn the drawstring tube (or add it on) after the side seam is closed. If your pants drag in the mud, it's easier to shorten them as well...

....And here she is!

20140725_141050.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Bone View Post
    I have a White D'lite I bought for my wife years ago so we could make a huge quilt for her parents for Christmas. It was an adventure to say the least and she hasn't really used it since.
    I believe it is a run of the mill sewing machine. I'm no sewing machine expert. In fact I know little to nothing about it.

T

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    I have a White D'lite .......
    T
    Show us a picture
    Anything in particular that you want to know?
    Got a DIY project in mind?

I'm considering a hammock. What type I'm not sure as of yet. Any ideas what limitations I might find with this machine when it comes to nylon straps and/or any types of common materials in the DIY Hammocking world?

T

After some quick research via Google, I found it was made by Singer and is noted for being a very functional machine that lasts a long time under heavy use. So I'm thinking it might serve me well.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    After some quick research via Google, I found it was made by Singer and is noted for being a very functional machine that lasts a long time under heavy use. So I'm thinking it might serve me well.
    Well, the only way to find out is to do some sewing with it - I'd start with some 'practice cloth' (old bedsheets or even paper towels) to see how it does.
    I don't think it will be happy punching through anything like webbing though grosgrain shouldn't be a problem.
    One problem with the 'mini' style machines is that there isn't a lot of space to the right of the needle, so you need to plan your projects so you are not feeding anything bulky through there....perhaps that was the excitement with the quilt project?

If you are at all interested in 'machinery', keep a lookout for an older metal machine (like a 50s or 60s portable) that's going cheap (under $25?) locally. They don't slide around on the table and have enough power to deal with heavier stuff, and probably stitch faster as well. You can always take a machine out of a table and use it as a portable if you don't have space.

I'm quite sure that the person who wrote "heavy use" was meaning "using it a lot" and not "punching through many layers of heavy materials". Those are 2 completely different things.

Mine is a school model Singer bought new 12 or so years ago. It is very robust for a table top machine and I have no doubt that I could pound through several layers of webbing. I like my machine and have no intention of using it for purposes it was not designed for. Punching through several layers of ripstop and a layer of grosgrain is nothing, add a couple layers of webbing to that and an industrial machine is really what should be used. Obviously the vast majority of us will not be running out and purchasing an industrial machine, so a $20 sacrificial older machine of decent quality is the way to go. Look for an older Singer or Janome as they tend to be better quality than most. Then again, if you don't care about punishing your machine, hammer away!
    Good judgment comes from experience... Experience comes from bad judgement.

I used to buy parts from an 'old singer guy' who had a shop locally. He said that many years ago when he was first married he sold singers. He said that he had a thick leather belt (when leather belts were solid leather and not some crap from china) and part of his sales pitch was to sew through the belt. He said after a while he needed a new belt but the machines managed just fine!

• + New Posts
  • Page 112 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast