Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner

Here is mine

Here is one I picked up not long ago from a guy who bought it at an estate sale. I got it for $80 and after getting it home I have realized it is in near perfect as new condition and sews like it is brand new. What a lucky deal.

Built 1952 in New Jersey a Singer 15-91. Came with the wicker box you see in photo and was nearly full of just about anything you could need to sew with on this machine. Stool had about 60 or spools of thread. All the attachments are like new. I imagine I will pass this on to one of my grand kids and it will still work like new.

What amazed me was that there is no part that is not available for these old machines. And the manuals for everything from Sewing for Beginners to Maintience manuals are available for free off the internet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Is anybody familiar with the Singer Model 99k, circa 1951. I see one locally for sale. Would this be suitable for doing hammock type DIY projects?

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx

The 99 is a nice basic workhorse and worth picking up the price is right.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by easyriver View Post
    Is anybody familiar with the Singer Model 99k, circa 1951. I see one locally for sale. Would this be suitable for doing hammock type DIY projects?
    The Singer 99k is a 3/4 size machine from what I can find on the internet. But it will do a good job on most any projects up to medium light leather.

Anyone looking for a deal on a thread injector should look into Goodwill's Auction site. They have a bunch of machines and they are very inexpensive in comparison to Ebay. Here is a link.. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

My Singer 15-91

This Singer 15-91 was my Grandmother's machine, and she was very proud of it. In doing some research, I read that in today's equivalent dollars, these were around $2,200 when new. My grandparents were not rich people, so I can only imagine how long they had this on a payment plan before it was paid for. They didn't trust banks and actually used the hidden shelf under the machine as their "safe deposit box" to store any cash they had on hand. This machine was quite important to them.
    Anyhow, when I got it, I thought it was great for sentimental value, but didn't realize what a beast it is for gear making. All metal, gear driven, and reliable (as long as I don't fiddle with the thread tension and get things out of whack).
    I feel very fortunate to have it.

Here is a pic of the 15-91 in use, finishing up the corner reinforcements and tie outs on my new Ogee tarp.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Chameleon by Dutch
    Tarp
    Sgt. Rock diy w/en
    Insulation
    JRB No-Sniveller+o
    Suspension
    yep
    Images

Singer 99-

I literally just got back from the antique shop down the block with this little nugget. I think I got terrific deal because I've seen them on ebay for much more than I paid. My problem now is I don't know whether I should keep it and use it or put it up and (hopefully) collect some profit. The only problem is that it has no book or accessories so I'll probably use it at least till I can fill out the package to make it a little more attractive to the ebay crowd.

Anyways; waddya think?

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    I also have my grandmother's old Singer foot/treadle machine, and my mother's Singer 221 Featherweight. Not sure who to pass these on to when I pass, but it should be someone who will keep and treasure them, as I do.
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images
    I also use a Singer 15-91, like rjcress and Sunny's Trike.
    I actually have two of them: one for canvas, one for everything else. Great machine.

Hammock
    JRB, Clark ultralight, Hennessy . .
    [QUOTE=ishmael;401402]I literally just got back from the antique shop down the block with this little nugget. I think I got terrific deal because I've seen them on ebay for much more than I paid. My problem now is I don't know whether I should keep it and use it or put it up and (hopefully) collect some profit. The only problem is that it has no book or accessories so I'll probably use it at least till I can fill out the package to make it a little more attractive to the ebay crowd.

Anyways; waddya think?

I have one of those. My mom bought it used in the 40s or 50s.
    It's a simple but tough machine! I have made a number of projects with it, including a tent and leather items (slowly and carefully). That was in the 80s when gore-tex tents first came out. Sooo expensive - so I bought material and made my own. My 12 year old used the tent on our last campout (last spring). I suggest you try the Singer before you sell it. You might decide it's worth keeping!

Marti

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

New/Old Thread Injector

I got a New/Old thread injector today at Goodwill for $30! everything seems to work great on it! it needs to be cleaned really bad and probably oiled good too. It is a Singer Touch and Sew Deluxe Zig-Zag Model 645. Anybody know anything about this model?

The other one I have been using is a Brother CE-5000PRW and it has been working fine, but this looked like a good deal for a better machine!?

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 198 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast