Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner

Husqvarna 5610

Picked up this Husqvarna/Viking 5610 yesterday ($25).

It was pretty gummed up, but it's easy to work on (the back panels come off and expose most of the works- you don't have to work from the bottom of the machine), so a couple of hours of work and testing/running got everything humming right along.

It does have a few plastic bits, but the chassis is a solid aluminum casting. It's a nice solid little machine.

Pro:
    They painted the bottom of the presser foot 'leg' white - it makes it a LOT easier to see the needle eye when threading the machine. (Why aren't all machines like this???)
    It can do a nice long straight stitch if required. It has a built-in triple lock stitch which I like for webbing and other 'needs to not fail' stitching, plus the usual selection of zig-zag, overcasting, and buttonholing stitches.

Con: There's no needle position control, even though it's a zig-zag machine.
    It (ideally) needs a non-standard Viking bobbin, but they're easily available, and a standard bobbin will work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Singer 15-91

I picked up a Singer 15-91 off CL for $50. Ran well to start, but I figured I'd better rewire it and clean it up. I replaced the foot pedal and light, as well. I owe a lot of thanks gmcttr for pointing me in the right direction with the motor. It runs like a dream!

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I'm usually not the one that has the great find at a great price, but I did ok today. I took the day off and the wife and I went to have lunch in Camden, SC.
    After lunch we decided to walk their downtown area and low and behold they have several thrift/antique shops. We were just about done in the last shop when I saw a case that I thought was a musical instrument, but when I looked the tag said sewing machine $35. I opened up and there sat a Singer 301a that looked like it had hardly ever been used and extremely clean. A few light scratched on the handle wheel and end face plate, but I think those are just from being in the case. It had the original manuals, but no accessories, which is a bummer because you know they are some where and someone doesn't know what they are. It was very clean under the bottom plate...well taken care of, just not used much. Only issue I found was that the light doesn't work, but probably just the bulb.

It only does straight stitches without accessories, but I understand quilters like them for some reason. I'm not really sure why.

Works great and has a nice stitch. I think this is starting to get addicting, but these old machines are really well made and fun to tinker with.

Last edited by Wkerber; 09-27-2013 at 17:52. Reason: add photos

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings

Wkerber 301

Works great and has a nice stitch. I think this is starting to get addicting, but these old machines are really well made and fun to tinker with

Great find they are addicting I have close to 100 machines. The 301 is better at straight stitch than a machine designed for zig zag. Because the presser foot fits the feed dogs better.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Hey Wkerber,
    Nice machine, and yeah it's very clean! I did a double-take ------ looks a lot like my 404 Slant o Matic. Sweet stuff.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    DFW FIND

found a really good deal for anyone wanting a HD sewing machine

Tippmann "BOSS" Hand Stitching Machine - $1000

it is mounted on the Tippman bench

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/tls/4076704258.html

the price is firm, as i sadly found out, which is just out of my $$ range

it was the seller's dad's & there is still a sentimental attachment to it

however, it is still a good price, for a LIKE NEW machine

just thought i would pass the info along, in case anyone is looking for something like it

thanks for posting all the pics of the different machines

sure keeps me on my shopping toes

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    HamelinHammock
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY CatCut Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 4-season down
    Suspension
    Dutch!

Swedish engineering, Husqvarna 2000 Colormatic, European version

It is also called a Husqvarna 6440 in North America.

Made in the 60's, they named the model "2000" because it would last until the year 2000. Here we are 2013, newly maintenanced, replaced a plastic part and she is good as new! Heavy, solid, no fuss, no problems.

I call her "Ophelia", in Swedish it is a play on words that means "infallable" (O-fel-ia)

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Swede2378 View Post
    It is also called a Husqvarna 6440 in North America.

Made in the 60's, they named the model "2000" because it would last until the year 2000. Here we are 2013, newly maintenanced, replaced a plastic part and she is good as new! Heavy, solid, no fuss, no problems.

I call her "Ophelia", in Swedish it is a play on words that means "infallable" (O-fel-ia)
    I have a 6440 one of the first high quality machines I bought. Put it in low gear and it will punch threw just about anything.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner

Elna Supermatic 1952-56

Picked up an Elna Supermatic today - $20 because it was making 'a noise'

It was noisy - whump,whump,whump....

On these Elnas, the motor is mounted vertically and there's a bevelled rubber drive wheel on the top of the axle. The rubber contacts the handwheel and drives the machine. If the machine is left for a long (long) time, the rubber wheel can develop a hard, flat spot. Thus the noise.
    The 'cure' is to 'turn down' the rubber wheel (think lathe technique) with a small file or rasp till the flat is gone. Only in extreme cases is it necessary to buy a new ($$) rubber drive wheel, apparently.
    Cleaned off some old hardened grease from a couple of gears, lubricated it, and it is sewing 100%.

I was surprised how quickly I got used to using the knee lever (vs a foot pedal). Unlike a foot pedal, the knee lever doesn't scoot across the floor.....

Like a lot of Elnas you see going for a small price, all the cams (save one) had 'disappeared'. (they sell online for $5-20 each, depending on rarity). It will still sew straight stitch beautifully, and I think I have a regular zig-zag cam around here somewhere. The nifty original oil can, screwdrivers and brush, along with a good handful of bobbins were all in the accessory tray. The metal case for those Elna machines folds out to form a work surface if desired.

In 2013 dollars, these machines sold for the equivalent of $1500-2000.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    JerryW, your machine is exactly like my mum's. She's had it forever (and I'd have it now if my sister wasn't in the way )

This one I picked up at the Salvation Army the other day. Problems finding a manual for it as the model # on it apparently isn't a Kenmore model #. But of course, help came through Hammock Forums from gmcttr who sent me a manual from a similar model. I got it threaded and sewed a little bit today - just testing to make sure it worked.

Here's a pic
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ictureid=20829

Thanks gmcttr - you're the best!
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 62 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast