Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oreana View Post
    It's true, most home machines will not make a good stitch with that size thread/needle. <snip>)
    It is hard to

I wanted a 1950's ZZ machine from Japan. Gorgeous automotive quality Toyota paint on the heaviest sm here, a 65 year old Morse. No complaints about cost or stitch quality, even if it has a single plastic gear, on the ZZ cam, that might fail before it is a hundred years old.

But, does this end-loader handle Tex 70 thread, the way some other SS and end-loader ZZ machines from the era do, pretty easily?* Not so far, not for me, with several bobbin cases tried. Of course, many or most newer home machines have not been designed for even medium thread, ever.

So, it is all in the design of the machine, especially the bobbin case housing; and that is true even of true industrial machines.

*I've sewn dozens of loops and bound edges in straps with Tex 70 and Tex 105 bonded nylon and polyester thread.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 11-08-2012 at 20:48.

The overlock sewing machine has to pull the thread against the loop made when the hook grabs the upper thread. The thicker the fabric, and the larger the thread, the more force necessary to do this act. A proper stitch has both threads buried in the fabric, the crossover of the upper and lower thread should not be situated on the top or bottom of the sewn fabric pieces. Even If a home style sewing machine can accept a needle large enough to accommodate a larger thread diameter, it often does not have the ability to exert enough force to pull the stitch where it needs to be. Using a needle too small with larger thread sizes is difficult to thread the needle, and with the needed top thread tension increases, will start to shred the thread.

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    Here's a video of my new toy - an old Necchi BU Nova.

I saw pics of a beautiful machine within this very thread and started looking immediately. Stumbled on this beauty actually with a friend who was thinking to give a machine to her young daughter for Christmas. I immediately offered to trade her my 12 stitch Kenmore as she needs light weight and 12 stitches more than me...

Great Machine Italian I believe back when products were made to last. If you are looking at other machines, one criteria is that the drive gears be metal or at least very heavy duty phenolic. Another thing to look for is gears that are attached to shafts with TWO set screws instead of one. I had a Chinese portable that that had a single set screw that would untime itself when I would cause a jam or break a needle. Or would the slipping gears cause a jam and break a needle. Anyway, all the older metal geared machines had double set screws and flats machined onto the shafts the set screws bore against.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    That Necchi is a 1950-54, and nothing sounds and feels like them ..... except their predecessor from a few years earlier. It will sew well with Tex70 and even Tex 105 weight bonded thread. Find the oil wick inside the hand-wheel and reload it with oil if it is dry, or replace it.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 11-11-2012 at 23:47.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That Necchi is a beautiful machine! These old machines make me think of motorcycles - functional but at the same time, works of art in themselves.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

That Necci looks so cool I am going to start looking for one.....

Today one of the guys at work brought in a Singer Stylist Model 774 and gave it to me. I will be cleaning and oiling it later this evening as I pulled the covers earlier and she looked a little dry and fuzzy.

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    Just picked up a Kenmore 1774. I found it on craigslist and snagged it for $35. It came with manual and a box full of accessories.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    Today one of the guys at work brought in a Singer Stylist Model 774 and gave it to me....
    Hopefully you'll get many years of use out of it....but if one of the plastic gears breaks, TNT Repair probably has the part.

• + New Posts
  • Page 37 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast