Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    When I lay with my knee up high in the fig.4 position... the TQ doesn't cover my knee fully either and I think this will be the case for most people unless they are using a full sleeping bag as a TQ. Unless you can cover it both top and bottom in cold conditions your knee would get cold after awhile regardless.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by benfishin View Post
    I've compiled several pros and cons that I have observed in the past few days:

Pros
    Cons
    Mine left August 4 (6 days ago) and is still getting farther and farther away from me every day. Strangely, it goes to San Francisco and then Vancouver before heading east. The hammock took the same route last spring.

Thank you, very good list. I'm glad I like the pros and don't mind any of the cons. My BB is green, I debated brown or green when I ordered the quilt. I chose the same color for the quilt as my hammock thinking that it won't be evident that the quilt is not integrated to the hammock. It sounds that I should've ordered brown.

Is there something I could do to make it kind of foolproof to always sit in the hammock? Do you think that the static alone is going to be enough to keep both edges (quilt-hammock) together?
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 08-10-2016 at 07:10.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    When I lay with my knee up high in the fig.4 position... the TQ doesn't cover my knee fully either and I think this will be the case for most people unless they are using a full sleeping bag as a TQ. Unless you can cover it both top and bottom in cold conditions your knee would get cold after awhile regardless.
    Agree with you, I use the fig 4 position (sounds dirty...) when it's hot and I want to vent.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockCanoe View Post
    Is there something I could do to make it kind of foolproof to always sit in the hammock? Do you think that the static alone is going to be enough to keep both edges (quilt-hammock) together?
    The best way is to just find the edge of the UQ first, then find the edge of the hammock body (zipper) and hold those 2 layers together in one hand as you sit down, this also puts the edge of the UQ about where it needs to be. (you can always grab the edge of the Wooki after you are situated and pull it a couple inches so it is even with or slightly past the zipper (wherever you prefer it to be). I suppose you could also easily sew a ribbon or something onto the edge of the wooki and hammock body and tie them together similar to the attachment on the backside, but once you get in the habit of putting the 2 edges together it becomes second nature. Also, a green hammock body and a brown UQ both look about the same color in the dark, so unless you are always using a headlamp, having different colors for each won't work as well as just grabbing both layers and holding them together i dont think

I don't feel like the loose edges do much (or need to) in regard to trapping heat, since there is absolutely no air gap anywhere underneath the user, the hot air can't move around between the UQ and the hammock to find an exit in the first place. Basically it seems like being sealed around the perimeter is not needed when you have full contact with the user underneath. With other designs there are often hidden air gaps between the UQ and the hammock body (often under the knees for instance) this pocket of warm air starts trying to find a way out so a good seal around the perimeter is more important in that case.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 08-09-2016 at 13:24.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Also, a green hammock body and a brown UQ both look about the same color in the dark, so unless you are always using a headlamp, having different colors for each won't work as well as just grabbing both layers and holding them together

Good point, I feel better with my color choice.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Great job Skylar! Thanks for the review benfishin. I'm still on the fence and will be watching for more reviews. I'd like to see some real winter reviews comparing a 0* incubator with overstuff vs a 4 season wooki.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Reading this I am confused as every to buy or not to buy. I don't know if controlling the ventilation is that big of deal to me or not. I typically sleep cold so it might not be a big deal. Is the static that big of a deal ? Taking them apart I would feel would be the only time you would notice this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If anything I think the static is a good thing. Helps keep things nice and tight.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WBBBXLC single layer in Multicam
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20* HG TQ/Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Depends on the day

Wooki first impressions

The static is only apparent when pulling the quilt off of the hammock. I never feel any at all while using the hammock. It could also be worse here in zero-percent-humidity Utah. I don't know if a more humid environment will have less static at all, but it's possible. I think LuvMyBonnet is right; the static helps hold the quilt snug on the bottom of the hammock while in use anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJERM View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown in pros/cons & quick first look benfishin!

The lack of venting and knees coming off the insulation could be a major concern with no ability to adjust for that or the knee off insulation could factor into the "cooling down". At first lay I certainly noticed the warmth right away but was comfortable without any top insulation adding to the heat. (This was also early afternoon with minimal breeze in the back patio) I'm hoping to get some testing in overnight the next few weekends. I have a 5 day trip coming up with temps into the low 30s that I'd like to be all set for and I have no doubt the Wooki will come through.

Looking forward to your next video review of it!

I think with temps in the 30 range you are going to be fine. The only concern I have with being able to vent would be in warmer temps, like in the 40 range, and for me I would be using a much lighter UQ, something rated to 40. Where I can see this being a problem for folks is for those that want to use a 20 UQ for 3 seasons, and quite frankly I don't know how people do that when temps are warmer. I use my 40 down into the 30's and my 20 down to 10 and maybe a bit lower. As a back sleeper who seldom moves as he sleeps, the wooki looks like the perfect quilt for the BB and XLC for the intended temps. I absolutely love the fit and function of my lynx on the ridgrunner, I assume the wooki is going to fit just as well. Good luck with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast