Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Here is a vid of a tarp I made up real quick. It has a variety of tie out points. It took me a little more than an hour to make and cost about $30 in materials. One of the beauties of it is there is no seam sealing and there is no seam running down the center of the hammock. It weigh a little more than 9 ounces and I think you will see it covers an 11 foot hammock quite well. It starts out as an 10 foot by 75 inch wide rectangle but the ridgeline is on the diagonal.
    Enjoy...
    I really want to see this tarp too but the link gives me an error message on my phone. Any chance you could give me the title and I could search it out on YouTube?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Bone View Post
    I really want to see this tarp too but the link gives me an error message on my phone. Any chance you could give me the title and I could search it out on YouTube?

Title of the youtube video is "DIY ASYM tarp made from Xenon WIDE polyester sil". Actual link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAHmwNqBr0
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Thank you! That is awesome.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    What I really like is the extra tie out to create more coverage in bad weather.

I use an asym tarp for good weather and as a backup. When I take a group camping, I usually wind up with it. If rain happens, and it does, I end up draping a raincoat over one end and whatever I can find over the other end of the suspension.

The extra tie out would have helped me out any number of times. Wondering if moving it a little further down, or away from the peak, might help. Would need to experiment a little. Whatever works to maximize coverage.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

I bought some to make an asymmetrical tarp and looking at, I have a couple questions.

As indicated in the announcement with the comment about the usable width, the selvage is a little wider than I am used to. On other projects it has been narrow enough that I left it on and it ended up inside the rolled hem, but on this I will have to trim it off. By chance, is the grid of the ripstop parallel to the edge so I can use that as a guide?

One side seems like it is a little shinier than the other. Is this silicone on one side and pu on the other? Should the shiny side go on the inside? (I guess using the regular xenon or silnylon that is the same on both sides has made me lazy.)

What I am thinking, is that I will make it a 6 x 10.5 rectangle then I will add sufficient tieouts to give additional flexibility. That will give a 12' ridgeline hung on the full diagonal (corner to corner)or a slightly short and narrow but usable rectangle, or a rectangle wider on one side or partly diagonal (mid side to mid side).

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    I bought some to make an asymmetrical tarp and looking at, I have a couple questions.

As indicated in the announcement with the comment about the usable width, the selvage is a little wider than I am used to. On other projects it has been narrow enough that I left it on and it ended up inside the rolled hem, but on this I will have to trim it off. By chance, is the grid of the ripstop parallel to the edge so I can use that as a guide?

One side seems like it is a little shinier than the other. Is this silicone on one side and pu on the other? Should the shiny side go on the inside? (I guess using the regular xenon or silnylon that is the same on both sides has made me lazy.)

What I am thinking, is that I will make it a 6 x 10.5 rectangle then I will add sufficient tieouts to give additional flexibility. That will give a 12' ridgeline hung on the full diagonal (corner to corner)or a slightly short and narrow but usable rectangle, or a rectangle wider on one side or partly diagonal (mid side to mid side).
    We've had customers make tarps with this and leave the edges on and just roll them into the hem like you said and they haven't had any problems.

The shinier side is the PU side and it doesn't matter which side you have in or out. Just remember that if you need to seam seal at all that the PU side needs seam grip.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Dutch, I dont see the xenon .9 fabric wide option, is that a mistake?

want to make ultralight asym tarp, and this wide fabric made me to think about it again.

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    Dutch, I dont see the xenon .9 fabric wide option, is that a mistake?

want to make ultralight asym tarp, and this wide fabric made me to think about it again.
    There is no .9 xenon wide yet. We only have the regular xenon in wide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I purchased 8 yards of this new Xenon Wide and made myself a 25-ounce full-coverage 4-season widebody winter tarp (with integral doors) for less than $90...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...de-Winter-Tarp

Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    JacksRBetter Nests
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I purchased 8 yards of this new Xenon Wide and made myself a 25-ounce full-coverage 4-season widebody winter tarp (with integral doors) for less than $90...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...de-Winter-Tarp
    well done! is the ridge cat cut too? looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. --John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast