DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Safari clone

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by TeeDee; 08-07-2007 at 10:45.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's a great looking project, TeeDee. Can't wait to see the completed pics.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's a really nice looking hammock. Great job. Keep us updated.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    tee dee you are far braver than I...keep up with the great work!!

Images
    Hi TD!
    the whipping socks will look good on my homemade hammocks. Nice innovation and nice on aesthetics. Would you mind if i copy it?

I've been working on a Quasi-Safari clone too. But I'm just doing it with a top entry. And I hemmed the edges. I measured the ties out just above my shoulder to be 49.5 inches from the top of the tube. I measured my friend's HH it was 42 or 43 inches from the top. Would making it that far up the really make it more comfortable?

Also, I'm using black taslan/supplex. 144in x 59in.

And I'm still not sure how I want to do the bugnet yet: zipper, velcro or just a bug tube to fit around the whole thing. How would you do tie outs with a bug tube?

What about this: make the top and bottom bugnets separate, similar to an over/under quilt. Attach the top bugnet via zipper, attach the bottom via velcro a la Speer style. Do you think Velcro and a zipper would be add unnecessary weight? Maybe a double layered hammock would be a better solution.
    Last edited by funbun; 04-14-2007 at 12:50.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    And I'm still not sure how I want to do the bugnet yet: zipper, velcro or just a bug tube to fit around the whole thing. How would you do tie outs with a bug tube?

What about this: make the top and bottom bugnets separate, similar to an over/under quilt. Attach the top bugnet via zipper, attach the bottom via velcro a la Speer style. Do you think Velcro and a zipper would be add unnecessary weight? Maybe a double layered hammock would be a better solution.
    I think making the bugnet in two pieces would add more weight than you'd want. You could make a sock/pod that would allow you to use the side tie-outs: just add two reinforcement patches to the inside of the sock so they line up with the hammock tie-outs. Put an attachment loop on both the inside and outside of each reinforcement patch. The inside loop attaches to the hammock and the outside loop gets shock cord to a stake. Simple.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    That's pretty heavy... I'm pretty sure that my Speer-type with sock, Potomac, and 20* bag for a top quilt is at least somewhat lighter than that, and the bag weighs more than 3 lbs. I've had that setup below 15* plus a LOT of wind, and I could knock at least 1.5 lbs. off by subbing a top quilt for the sleeping bag.

I think you're overestimating the weight for a full bug bivy. My sock is only 12-14 oz. (don't remember exactly right now) and it's DWR, which is heavier than noseeum. Hammock Engineer has mentioned his bivy weighing in at around 8 oz. There's also the issue of being bitten from the bottom if you go with the top-only bugnet.

I guess you really like that bottom entry :P Not for me! If you're planning on leaving the bugnet attached instead of making full use of its removability, why not save the weight and just sew it in permanently? You must really like Velcro, too...I HATE it. IMO a good zipper would also be lighter and not require additional pieces to keep stuff out.
    Last edited by blackbishop351; 04-14-2007 at 17:37.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

I'm a big heavy guy: 6'2", 260lbs+ with linebacker shoulders. I worry that 1.9 ounce ripstop would be too weak for me.

I'll probably make another hammock like this one and use 1.9 ripstop just to see. It seems that Speer and Hennessy use heavier fabric for heavier people. I followed suit.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I'm a big heavy guy: 6'2", 260lbs+ with linebacker shoulders. I worry that 1.9 ounce ripstop would be too weak for me.

I'll probably make another hammock like this one and use 1.9 ripstop just to see. It seems that Speer and Hennessy use heavier fabric for heavier people. I followed suit.
    I meant TeeDee's numbers

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast