Cheap Tarp done right...ish help?

I've got an overnighter in 2 weeks with my 8 year old, and she has been dying to sleep in her hammock. I am not at a point where I am confident in my diy skills to make a tarp on that time line, so I have concluded that I should just hit up the harbor-freight for a cheapo. Probability of getting some showers is there, but unlikely for any serious rain. This will not be used for backpacking or any other ounce shaving activities I'd love to be able to use it in the future, are there any steps I can/should take to help keep it from going full-cheap-tarp mode (I've had more of my share of grommets tear out) I had planned on duct-taping around the grommets to provide them some support for guy lines and such I know using 550 cord or the equivalent is a bad idea, I'll take pointers there (I'm not opposed to spending the $ to do that right) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dreadpiratebob; 08-12-2016 at 12:30.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If you currently have 550 cord, I would say use it. Is it the best? No. Does it work? Yes. I used a cheap tarp with 550 cord ridgeline for my first couple of trips with a hammock and it worked fine. I still have the 550 cord ridgeline as a back up if necessary. If you are planning to DIY a tarp in the future, use what you have now to learn what works best for you, then plan your build with the appropriate material and cordage.

Thanks,
    I do have a dutchware CRL, so my ridgeline should be pretty solid.
    I do not have 550 cord, so either way I'm buying something for guy lines.

Regarding the tarp, am I overthinking trying to strengthen the grommet tie out points?

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The one I have used does show a little wear around the grommets but no failures yet. I actually have a second cheap tarp that sewed tabs using ratchet strap material to use instead of the grommets. If you have or can get grosgrain, and you have a machine available, then you can sew tabs. I would not recommend using the same material I did, I only used because that is what I had available. The second tarp with tabs pitch better and provides more peace of mind. Here is a link that documents my mod. I have since made a tarp out of xenon sil 5300 from Dutch.

That doc is awesome! I'll probably go a very similar route (won't hurt the sewing experience either) and eventually make a good tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL Integrated
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah 9 and 12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, CDT DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I'd suggest looking into a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12. You save $$ over the fancier tarps at the cost of some added weight, but it's still easily transportable. Should be big enough to cover you and your daughter.

For inexpensive guy lines, grab a roll of braided mason's line from Home Depot. It's just a couple of bucks and it'll last you forever, or until you decide to upgrade.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    There were some great suggestions posted above. Don't feel too pressured to do too much before your trip. A standard tarp will do more than needed for an outing as you described. A Kelty Noah does seem like a pretty good choice albeit maybe 2-3 times the price of a cheap HF tarp.

-D.B.

Hammock
    ENO DN, couple DIYs, Dutch 1.6W Hex
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & CBs
    I 2nd the Kelly Noah's Tarp. Make or buy a set of snakeskins (XL Hennessy Snakeskins are under $20) and you'll have a great setup that will last for years. With the skins, you can have the tarp hung & ready to deploy if needed.

• + New Posts