Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Stomach Sleepers

How many of you are sleep on you stomachs in your hammock? How tall are you? How long is the fabric of you hammock?

Even when I sleep on my side I still get a weird bend on my upper hip. It's just enough pressure to make in uncomfortable.

I'm beginning to wondering if the fabric I use is just to stretchy? I've been using Supplex. I want to switch to ripstop. Any of you used Supplex and found it too stretchy?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I sleep on my stomach sometimes in my HH clone. I'm 5'10" and I use 1.9oz rip stop fabric. I think it has to do more on how the hammock is made than what type of material it is made from.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Funbun, I'm a stomach sleeper as well, at least part of the time. I sleep in an ENO DoubleNest usually and am 5'8".
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

How do you sleep on your stomach without being in pain? Am I just a horrible hammock maker?

How many of you are over 6 feet 2 inches, have line backer shoulders, and sleep on your stomachs in a hammock?

My hammock are gather using a roll whipping and a structural ridgeline. Maybe my ridgeline is too short? I've got it pretty deep to get a better asym. I've got a 144 inch fabric bed and a 109 inch ridgeline.
    Last edited by funbun; 06-11-2007 at 08:49.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm sure your hammock making skills are just fine. It's probably due more to subtle differences in the the whipping, sag, and most of all, differences in body size. Maybe a longer hammock would help you sleeping on your stomach.

Although I can now sleep comfortably on my stomach in my hammock, I rarely do for some reason. I do sleep on my side a lot.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Until recently I was have a very difficult time finding a sweet spot in my ENO single nest. I was about to turn it into a gear hammock, but I'm just stubborn enough to keep going.

I finally found (I think) the right combo and woke this morning on my stomach (first time in a hammock). Lots of sag was the answer for me. For whatever reason, I have to put a lot more sag in my ENO than any of my other hammocks to get diagonal; probably about 40 degrees. I'm not sure if this would be as true with the double nest. Point is, play with the sag; it worked for me.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I'm just under 6'2" and haven't been able to sleep on my stomach in a hammock yet. Hurts the back!

Quote Originally Posted by toddhiker View Post
    I'm just under 6'2" and haven't been able to sleep on my stomach in a hammock yet. Hurts the back!
    That's what I've been wondering, if taller people simply aren't as comfortable. Or maybe taller people need much longer hammocks. I mean much longer, like 13 to 15 feet even.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    That's what I've been wondering, if taller people simply aren't as comfortable. Or maybe taller people need much longer hammocks. I mean much longer, like 13 to 15 feet even.
    That's what I've been thinking. Let us know what works!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    You are also be limited by the width.

For a 60" wide hammock, the absolute maximum you can get on the diagonal is 54 deg.

Now a shorter person, say 5' 8" can get to a maximum of 61 deg.

That's ignoring the practicalities of sag and what-not.

In order for the 6' 2" person to get the same amount of diagonal that the 5' 8" person can get to, you would have to have a 65" or 66" wide hammock.

Maybe take your hammock and instead of adding to the length and the same width, add side panels to get wider and keep the same length. The wider you go, the more diagonal you can get.

The extreme is the hammock here where you are at a 90 deg diagonal and the hammock is as wide as or wider than you are tall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast