Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Best? No. I would give you one of the easiest. A little stretchy though and why a lot of folks think you're supposed to string it tight(because you will droop to much and touch the ground)

Not bad at all for car camping or those that like to carry 70lbs+ packs including complete meals just-heat-up type of stuff.
    I meant the best for hammocking, as an activity or hobby, not necessarily the best piece of equipment. a beginner can thread one around a tree and clip their hammock at the proper height and angle very easily. and they're very easy to adjust if you don't get it perfect the first time. also, they provide their own drip protection by hanging down and diverting water from running down the strap.

for a first timer/beginner there's no easier way to get started. it's intuitive and non threatening. they're also beefy and give the appearance of strength. very confidence inspiring...

and only the original Slap-straps stretched because they were made of nylon. the Atlas straps are polyester and don't stretch, even when wet...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    and only the original Slap-straps stretched because they were made of nylon. the Atlas straps are polyester and don't stretch, even when wet...
    A couple of weeks ago, I went camping and found a pair of Atlas straps on my trees. I removed them, and couldn't believe how much they weighed! It had been raining, and the Atlas straps seriously weighed over a pound. I looked on their website and they weigh 11 ounces dry. That's a heavy strap - I think it has to be the heaviest on the market.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-16-2016 at 00:38.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    I take my 3 kids, and sometimes friends.
    All my hammocks have 1" strap/buckles with a dutch clip (or carabineer).
    Hanging the hammock is fast and simple, I despise taking something that is simple and making it complicated.
    My UQs are labeled "up" and "down" on each side and "zipper" along one edge, plus the hammock tie outs go through the break in the edge, once again, very hard to screw up.
    I have switched most tarps over to a HH hex tarp hung separately,, If you cant hang a tarp between 2 trees, them maybe, just maybe you do not belong in the woods ??

Slack

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I went camping and found a pair of Atlas straps on my trees. I removed them, and couldn't believe how much they weighed! It had been raining, and the Atlas straps seriously weighed over a pound. I looked on their website and they weigh 11 ounces dry. That's a heavy strap - I think it has to be the heaviest on the market.
    haha, never said they were light weight. but when my son and his friends go down to the stream or to the park for a "chill sesh" that's all you see. ENO has probably introduced more people to hammocking than all the others combined. and that's a good thing.

it's funny but I see Atlas straps in videos by some of the cottage manufacturers here. there's no getting around how easy they are to use if weight is not a concern...

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I went camping and found a pair of Atlas straps on my trees..
    Lose a set of tree straps, you're out $8 (unless you're using Kevlar, of course), get an irritating lesson on policing your gear, and get to make a quick order to any vendor. (Chances are Dutch already knows and has the order waiting for you to put it in).

Lose a pair of Atlas Straps, you're out $30 and get a painful lesson on policing your gear.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    Lose a set of tree straps, you're out $8 (unless you're using Kevlar, of course), get an irritating lesson on policing your gear, and get to make a quick order to any vendor. (Chances are Dutch already knows and has the order waiting for you to put it in).

Lose a pair of Atlas Straps, you're out $30 and get a painful lesson on policing your gear.
    Using a Suspension Caddy to keep up with your gear so you don't leave it laying around or in a tree.....Priceless.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    Using a Suspension Caddy to keep up with your gear so you don't leave it laying around or in a tree.....Priceless.
    I used something like this for a while. I actually made a tyvek ground sheet that I put button holes in each corner to stake it out and sewed a panel on it to put the stakes and straps. That was brilliant. To try to cut back on weight, I stepped back to a basic homemade CF stuff sack.
    CF stuff sack.jpg

It lacks the class of yours, but I carry so little now anyway (4 stakes and 2 beckett hitch straps) since wasps and guy lines stay on the tarp.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Terra Nova
    Insulation
    Graylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am taking a ten year old boy and his mom on a short hike (three miles) and an overnight hang in two weeks. I got his mom to spend one night in my old eno single at my house and it was the best sleep she had in years. I offered to do a hike and hang with her and her son. Just one night. I don't know where or if there is a dad in the picture but I thought it would be a good experience for him. He is rather chubby and out of shape so he is practicing with two mile hikes at home (the city) almost every day. Mom bought a hammock and straps that I have not seen yet but I plan to use most of my stuff to get them comfortable. I really want this to be a wonderful time for this boy. I have a map of the trail with contour lines and a compass to teach navigation,a ferro rod and fire tinder to teach how to cook and make water safe. I am very excited to perhaps have a new hammock hanger and his mom come into the flock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I am a pretty good driver (I drive for a living), Pretty sure I cant drive in the Indy or Daytona 500 without some hard core instructions & quite a bit of practice..
    Those who follow the "set up this way" instructions that come with many hammocks, Can't do what we Hard core hangers do without at least some instructions & hands on practice with a "driving" Instructor.
    If I loan a hammock to anyone: I show them how it is done, AND I (usually) only loan it to them if I'm on the trip.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

My first hammock experience was during a 3D2N 22km hike through a tropical jungle/swamp beside South China Sea earlier this year. Those of you familiar with Borneo Island may know it as Bako National Park. My hammock gear was bought the week before. China made parachute nylon hammock with built in bugnet, china made tarp, nylon tree strap, tent spike & some paracords.

Spent the whole week reading up on theultimatehang.com & learning some basic knots though I did not do a test hang on the system. My first hang was inside that jungle. And that evening it rained. Crazy heavy rain.(the fishermen we met when we finished our hike told us its a huge storm outside)

Luckily for me my system hold up. No drip no leak at all despite the heavy rain. Slept like a baby while my other friends that brought along the china made bridge type complete system got drenched. Flooded hammocks

Im still sticking with the same equipment until today. Gonna upgrade to HH Expedition Zipper when it arrived in 2 weeks time. Hopefully it does arrive. I personally found that the HH system is way easier to hang with the snakeskin and all probably because I go hard and technical on my first hammock then easier one on my second (HH)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast