Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    The sheltowee does have an integrated UQ, but it is rectangular from what I can tell, and is more like a traditional uq fwiw. I agree on your point of the design being for a hammock company. The wooki will work on other hammocks, but they have to be within an a literal inch of the dimensions of the BB/XLC.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I see its being customized for WB hammocks as a strength, not a weakness.

I believe that when word gets out how cool this is (it really is!) a lot of owners of other hammocks are now going to move to WB and buy both a hammock and UQ because of the fit. So they'll not only sell a lot of quilts; they'll also sell more hammocks because of the quilts.

On this other hand, none is going to decide not to but WB because they have cool matching quilts.

This just might turn out to be a much greater game-changer than others think...
    Last edited by Scubahhh; 08-17-2016 at 13:12.
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    It's an interesting design and a novel approach to ditching the shock cords. I don't see it being a huge game changer though. People that like the WBBB will almost certainly consider it, but IMO I don't think it'll inspire people to ditch their setup and buy a whole new kit. Shock cords aren't that difficult once you're dialed in. In a way, it kills some versatility. Venting isn't as easy anymore.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't think it makes sense for an underquilt-maker who doesn't sell hammocks to use a similar design. The reason the Wooki fits like a glove is that it's made specifically for the Blackbird. I would be interested to hear how it well it can be made to fit other hammocks, but my guess is, it won't fit as nicely.
    I spent my first night in it and I had a long and close look. It is basically a hammock, made of light fabric, with an underquilt sewn to it. There are a lot of 11' gathered end hammocks out there that share pretty well the same shape.

The advantage over the hammocks with integrated underquilt is that it is very simple to switch quilt and one quilt can be used with more than one hammock.

We lay diagonally in a hammock, then we attach an underquilt from end to end and then try to make it fit perfectly under our body. The Wooki fits like a glove because it is sewn diagonally to a second layer that is held tight to the hammock. The insulated surface can be reduced because it is so well located.

To make the concept generic, the only change needed is for someone to think of a slightly adjustable device at the foot end. WB uses an elastic and mini carabiner at this time but I'm sure someone will come up with a solution. I have two other hammocks and I certainly want to use the same concept with them.

True it can't be vented easily. But getting rid of the shock cords is well worth it.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    This design is amazing. Seems like a true leap forward for hammocking. I've been hesitating about TQ/UQ mostly because of money, but partly because I'm not sure I want to get into the fiddle factor, and most of my trips are alone so adjusting it could get frustrating.

I'm actually considering scrapping my DIY hammock and going Warbonnet, or maybe changing my plans to match the Wookie. Or... trying to DIY one? That thought makes my head hurt, though... *brain explodes*

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

first trip

Lumpy 027.jpg

Had my lefty Wooki out for the first time last night. Overnight low was only 45 degrees, but I am very impressed with the easy of use. It is a bit heavier than the Yeti with underquilt protector. But no adjustments. Like the TV guy says - set it and forget it.

Picture from Peregrine campsite in Rocky Mountain National Park. Not a hammock friendly site.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ringtail-THFKAfood View Post
    Lumpy 027.jpg

Had my lefty Wooki out for the first time last night. Overnight low was only 45 degrees, but I am very impressed with the easy of use. It is a bit heavier than the Yeti with underquilt protector. But no adjustments. Like the TV guy says - set it and forget it.

Picture from Peregrine campsite in Rocky Mountain National Park. Not a hammock friendly site.
    Looks pretty hammock friendly to me. Congrats on the new quilt.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoopies were near maxed out. The only two trees were located too far apart. If I had been with another person with a hammock we would have had to camp outside the designated area.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ringtail-THFKAfood View Post
    Lumpy 027.jpg

Sweet! I am so jealous. Did the Lumpy Ridge loop and stayed in that exact site in June on my trip out there. Was in a tent at the time. It was a blast, except for the hail storm. Love the water right behind the site. Wishing it could get down to 45 degrees at night here. We are lucky to see sub 70, even in the wee hours of the morning.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Without shock cords, the Wooki keeps its "deployed" position after leaving the hammock. Different and it looks cool.

Taken from the head end.

wooki-open3.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast