Eno single nest
    Tarp
    Nube 2.0
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas

Foothills trail section or thru hike!

I am looking at planning a hike on the foothills trail. I live in SC and really haven't been able to get in a lot of hiking with any type of elevation. I hope to get in a trip in September and would love to hike the full thing. Anyone have any advice or information about this trail. I am active duty military and in pretty good shape, I work a second job that requires me to literally climb 35 flights of stairs a night, so should be ok with the distance. I would like to start in OSP and if I have the time complete the whole thing. However, if I can only get in a section where is a good stopping point that I can get a shuttle service from? Also, from watching Shug on youtube I noticed they had food drops. Is this something common along the trail? I have no idea how to set this up logistically speaking. Once again looking forward to any and everyone's advice. I have already learned a ton from this site. Hopefully I can start adding back, once I have more time in my hammocks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All I can say is give yourself a time buffer to enjoy it.
    Sounds like you saw our video of it so all my intel is in there.
    Not sure on shuttles ince we did not use them.
    Easy to food drop...just drive to the point you want to stash and go hide it. Don't need to but it lightens the load and gives you something to look foward too.
    I'd recommend 11 or 12 miles a day if you want some lollygag time.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I set out from Oconee SP to thru-hike the Foothills Trail one summer and the heat stopped me short. We bailed at Hwy 178 just before Sassafras Mtn. Went back later and finished to Table Rock SP. Then went back another time and did the spur down to Jones Gap SP. It's a great trail, a real gem.

I would recommend getting the trail guide and map from --
    http://foothillstrail.org/

We were resupplied at the Bad Creek Access parking lot on a short side spur trail. The access road is gated, but at least at that time you could press a call button at the gate and Duke Power/Energy would answer and remotely open the gate.

If you'd like links to the three photo albums I posted online of my hikes, just let me know and I'll dig them up for you.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Eno single nest
    Tarp
    Nube 2.0
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Shug I appreciate the response when I first started hammock camping I was inspired by your youtube videos. Once again I started picking through your newer ones and found this amazing looking trail. I appreciate your feedback and will have to look at doing that with the food. I am trying to stay as light on my pack as possible. Sounds like there are a lot of water sources along the way so that should help. Rain Man I would love to see the photo albums. I am trying to pull together a crew to go with me, but may end up just being myself for a chunk of it. If I go alone I may just knock out a decent section and come back later to finish.

Hammock
    10 ft DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    11ft Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    [QUOTE=Rain Man;1665439]

+1 on this. The book has a lot of useful information regarding the trail, mileage to help with planning, and an elevation profile. If you need a shuttle, the site has a list of names of people who volunteer as a shuttle service. I've only done a few sections, however, I will say the trail is marked pretty well, and it offers some nice views.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Mike7540;1665489]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

+1 on this. The book has a lot of useful information regarding the trail, mileage to help with planning, and an elevation profile. If you need a shuttle, the site has a list of names of people who volunteer as a shuttle service. I've only done a few sections, however, I will say the trail is marked pretty well, and it offers some nice views.
    Get the pocket map too....used it a lot.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    I have done a few sections. I recommend waiting till the 3rd or 4th week of October when the leaf color is excellent. Or wait till mid November when the leaves are mostly down...much better views along the trail. Prior to that, you are mostly hiking a green, humid tunnel.

The stair climbing you mention...that will serve you well for preparation.

Scott

Hammock
    Eno single nest
    Tarp
    Nube 2.0
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 40
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback I will look into getting the pocket map and the trail guide. I hate going into an area without some type of map or guide to help me along. I have hiked several sections of the Palmetto trail here in SC and I always printed off their map. I just like having something to reverence. As far as a trail guide I know this will be useful. One of my bucket list dreams is to hike the Appalachian upon retirement from the military. I figure at 38 I would still be capable and hopefully financially able to do so.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin&swingin View Post
    Rain Man I would love to see the photo albums.
    Here you go.

Captions are a sort of trip reports--

Foothills Trail in SC/NC July 18-23, 2011

Sassafras Mountain, SC, Sept 2011

Hike the Foothills Trail Spur in SC, June 2012

BTW, thanks for your service. My AT thru-hiker daughter is in the Air Force Reserves (while in grad school, just graduated) and is waiting to hear if she's going on active duty as a 2nd Lt. Chaplain.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    We did the FHT from Burrells Ford to Hwy 178 a couple of years ago... here's that writeup.

We took the spur trail to the top of WW falls, which I would not recommend if you're not familiar with where to go. But worth finding out how to get there if interested.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast