Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Synthetic vs Down Underquilt

I'm thinking about upgrading my jarbridge to a HG Phoenix 20 and need your opinion. I have a HG Burrow 20 that I bought in the spring and it is the warmest thing I own! Sometimes my underside gets chilly, even in 55 degrees (I'm a really cold sleeper) and would be upgrading to a down UQ specifically for the warmth. Can anybody speak to this?

I started with a jarbridge then switched to 3/4 length JRB greylock 0 and 20 degree, then a HG 40 phoenix to fill out my temp range. The down UQ's packs much better than the synthetic. I also get a warmer feeling when using the down UQ's.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    I've had great success with my 3 season Jarbidge down to the low 30s. From what I've read down is more for people looking to reduce weight and space in their packs but it's easier to get the perfect temperature range with down.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by toddseimer View Post
    I'm thinking about upgrading my jarbridge to a HG Phoenix 20 and need your opinion. I have a HG Burrow 20 that I bought in the spring and it is the warmest thing I own! Sometimes my underside gets chilly, even in 55 degrees (I'm a really cold sleeper) and would be upgrading to a down UQ specifically for the warmth. Can anybody speak to this?
    purely from a theoretical standpoint, I try to stay with synthetic if the temp is going to stay above freezing. in these light temps the weight difference is offset by the cost, IMO, and it handles moisture/humidity and sweat/body oils better than down. also, a lot of people think the distribution of down is too spotty in a lighweight...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Let me clarify... you're using the Jarbridge and getting cold up to 55 degrees? No reason you should be cold with the Jarbridge if its snugged up right against you. Get that figured out first before you decide you need to go with down.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Is your Jarbridge the 3 season or the summer version?

Quote Originally Posted by toddseimer View Post
    As far as down vs synthetic. If you are car camping or backpacking short distances say, under 100 miles then probably doesn't matter much if your a little bit bulky or heavier. If your are going to go long distances then weight and packability becomes a bigger issue. Also, if you are not careful about not getting wet then down can be a negative. Synthetics are getting pretty good and in some ways are better but the weight and packability of down is tuff to beat if your going to be lugging it a long way and need room for other stuff.

Hammock
    10 ft DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    11ft Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In my opinion, the issue is not that synthetic does not insulate as well as down, it's just that down will provide more warmth with less weight depending on the fill power used. As someone else mentioned, you shouldn't be cold in a 3 season Jarbidge in temps at 55*. If so, you most likely don't have the under quilt snugged up right against the underside of the hammock. If you're sure it's right, try having someone else lay in the hammock while you check for gaps before going out and spending your hard earned money on a new down under quilt. On the other hand, they sure are nice

• + New Posts