Hammock
    10 ft DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    11ft Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Most likely due to design and the formula they use for their estimated temp rating. I'm happy with my 40* HG Phoenix and the temp rating seems fairly accurate.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Also bear in mind that most quilt temp ratings are conservative - i.e. they should take most average users easily down to that temp rating, but some users could get lower. They also are already overstuffed, and I think that's where a lot of the variation probably comes in. So for example if it should take X amount of down to get the average user to 20˚, any given quilt maker will use X + Y% overstuff, to account for down settling, varied conditions, etc. The % overstuff (Y) may vary between vendors, so while one might overtstuff by 20%, another migh overstuff by 30%.

That, combined with dimensional differences (HG quilts tend to run a little narrower than some others) should likely make up for the ounce here and there difference in down fill. The important thing to check on in reviews for a given quilt vendor is whether or not people feel that they are true to rating. Most, if not all, vendors that participate and/or are popular on this site have a good rep for being true (or generous) with their temp ratings, so I wouldn't worry ... and if that extra ounce matters, go with the one that's lighter and feel confident that it will keep you warm.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have both a HammockGear 0º Incubator and a 0º Toaster Down UQ by Little Shop of Hammocks. The Toaster Down is significantly warmer. I have always been happy with my Incubator purchase, but now that I have something to compare it to, all my future quilt purchases will be made by Little Shop of Hammocks (and he makes purple hammocks! )

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Since I own only HG quilts, I have nothing with which to compare. However, I can say that I generally like a 10* cushion between the expected lows and my quilts' temp rating. So if the expected low is 30* F, I'll bring my 20* quilts. If the expected low is 20* F, then I'll bring the 0* quilts. I just can't tolerate being cold.

I'm neither a cold sleeper, nor a hot sleeper - I'm in between. However, I've tried to push a quilt's rating (13* F using my 20* quilts was not pleasant) and I'd rather not do it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Even if they use less i have a 40deg. and I don't start to feel the cold until 30deg so I think their system for rating them is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    One thing I can't quite figure out as I'm comparison shopping for UQs. I really like HammockGear's Incubator design, but it seems they use a lot less down than everyone else. How do they do that? It seems everyone is satisfied with their warmth, so what's the difference?
    What do you mean by "a lot less down" just curious about how much of an actual difference we are talking about here. Remember temp ratings are not a standard, they are a manufactures suggestion(even with sleeping bags). And while yes our awesome hammock vendors tend to be more conservative than more commercial enterprises they are not rating based on any standard. Everyone sleeps different, plus factor in different climates, humidity levels, etc. So one man/woman's 40 might be fine for another person down to 25. So I don't think it's any secret to what they are doing. They are just putting in what they "feel" is the appropriate amount

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Yes, you can't beat these quilts and I've never seen a negative review on one of the quilts either. I have two of these and two Locolibre and love them both.
    What TQ do you run? I agree the HG UQ is pretty great, but I am wondering if you have any preference between LLG TQ vs HG TQ.

Whelp, I went for the Incubator, +2 oz and baffled for 10 degrees rather than 20. We'll see how it goes this winter. I did end up getting a Loco Libre top quilt after comparing those options long and hard, and it's pretty kick ***.

Rest assured, you won't be disappointed

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phincubator; EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    Whelp, I went for the Incubator, +2 oz and baffled for 10 degrees rather than 20. We'll see how it goes this winter. I did end up getting a Loco Libre top quilt after comparing those options long and hard, and it's pretty kick ***.
    I'm curious how you like your Incubator so far. Also, I noticed that Hammock Gear appears to be using more (not less) down in the Incubator than Warbonnet for the comparable Wooki. This is in line with Scubahhh's comment in this thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast