Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    TP,

Thanks for taking us along. I always enjoy your videos and the pointers that you add when it comes to production, navigation, etc.

STinGa
    Thanks STinGA. I figure maybe it will help somebody when planning for a trip or maybe get some inspiration to get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi TP excellent video as always. I always forget to post a thanks here on HF because I sub to your channel.
    Appreciate the feedback & sub OutandBack.. looking forward to seeing some more of your adventures. I always love seeing some Colorado snow & skies.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I think some settlers--pioneers, ended up living where they did--because they were too tired to go any further. I've gotten in really bad shape. TallPaul thanks for taking us with you--I feel like I'm in better shape already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Paul, thanks for taking us along. I've hiked from Carver's Gap to Damascus and enjoyed seeing what the other direction looked like.

what was the tarp you were using, is it an Edge and how did it do?..

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I think some settlers--pioneers, ended up living where they did--because they were too tired to go any further. I've gotten in really bad shape. TallPaul thanks for taking us with you--I feel like I'm in better shape already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Phantom Grappler

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    Hi Paul, thanks for taking us along. I've hiked from Carver's Gap to Damascus and enjoyed seeing what the other direction looked like.

what was the tarp you were using, is it an Edge and how did it do?..
    It's tough to beat the balds hiking north from Carvers gap. Still a favorite of mine. I was using an Warbonnet Edge tarp for this trip. We did get a pretty good rain soaking one night, but it was raining horizontal so tough to tell how the tarp would do in windy conditions. But I did appreciate the weight savings and only 4 tie-outs.

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Thanks Phantom Grappler

It's tough to beat the balds hiking north from Carvers gap. Still a favorite of mine. I was using an Warbonnet Edge tarp for this trip. We did get a pretty good rain soaking one night, but it was raining horizontal so tough to tell how the tarp would do in windy conditions. But I did appreciate the weight savings and only 4 tie-outs.
    yeah, really pretty. I'll do this section again and spend quite a bit more time. it's pretty magical

you got a good soaking one night - by that you mean you got wet? was the Edge not big enough, was the wind just coming in the wrong way?

IIRC, you have a MamaJamba, would this have been better?..

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    yeah, really pretty. I'll do this section again and spend quite a bit more time. it's pretty magical

you got a good soaking one night - by that you mean you got wet? was the Edge not big enough, was the wind just coming in the wrong way?

IIRC, you have a MamaJamba, would this have been better?..
    I should have phrased that better. We had a pretty heavy rain for an hour or so if I recall. It came straight down. I stayed dry, bit of splash on the UQ but mainly because I could have had my hammock closer to my tarp.

It still is a tough call on Mambajamba vs Edge (or SF) as I don't have a lot of experience with the Edge.
    Some say the Mambajamba is a good middle ground. Personally, I either want bombproof (Superfly) or lightest possible (Edge or something cuben fiber). Part of that is I don't want to spend time looking for protected sites.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    ...It was a tough one. I probably bit of more than I should have...
    Yep, I know that phrasing all too well.

Good to see Unaka. From what I'd heard, it sounded like a place I'd like to go hang, and it definitely seemed that way from your vid... seems worth the hump (including enough water for camp)?

Tarp - I recently went to a diamond tarp for summer when I know wetness won't kill me and a little breeze is welcome. I've not been wet under it yet. And only 2 tieouts! Otherwise, love having a big tarp for porch mode, and with doors as needed.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I should have phrased that better. We had a pretty heavy rain for an hour or so if I recall. It came straight down. I stayed dry, bit of splash on the UQ but mainly because I could have had my hammock closer to my tarp.

It still is a tough call on Mambajamba vs Edge (or SF) as I don't have a lot of experience with the Edge.
    Some say the Mambajamba is a good middle ground. Personally, I either want bombproof (Superfly) or lightest possible (Edge or something cuben fiber). Part of that is I don't want to spend time looking for protected sites.

Hope that helps.
    thanks. I was looking at the Edge but at the last minute I went with the MamaJamba as the "Goldilocks" choice in the middle of the 3 sizes.

I have a UGQ 12' silpoly Hanger tarp coming from Massdrop that I'm going to compare to the MJ. I'll keep the winner of that and pass the other on in favor of something smaller. the Edge could very well end up being that one...

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Nice video Paul, looked like a good time. Agree, the balds are nice. Thanks for sharing the video. Enjoyed your "what's in my pack" one as well. Later.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Thanks for sharing! I hope to hit this section this fall.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast