Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

Stupid, bloody, piece of crap metal-my sewing machine! First-timers DIY story.

First of all, you need to understand my mother was a home-ec teacher and made all the clothes for my brother & me until I was in the 4th grade. She even made outfits for all my Barbie dolls. To this day, she sews quilts for third world countries and I have NEVER had her teach me to sew. (I like to think it was my way of rebelling and to ensure I'd never become my mother.) I enter exhibit A: Matching yellow PJs my mother made for us:

Well, I need a shorter hammock to fit underneath the new tarp I picked up at an REI garage sale. Being the frugal German Lutheran that I am, I saw videos showing how easy it is to make a DIY hammock. Also, encouraged by fellow hangers, I decided to tackle this project! (Yes, I'm pointing at you @BananaHammock & @Intimidator)

From the bottom & back of my closet, I dug out the inherited 1979 JC Penny Model #6925 sewing machine from my dead Grandma Lilly, gathered up my fabric from RipStopByTheRoll and turned down the opportunity for a group hang last weekend to teach myself how to sew. I WOULD learn to SEW! (even if I became a bit like my mother)

I felt pretty confident being able to start with some simple stuff sacks (with the RBTR DIY $10 starter kit) and having watched a dozen or so YouTube videos. I knew my mother was only a phone call away (just as a back up).

I sat down to learn how to thread a bobbin and the rest of the contraption, but I couldn't find any videos on how to thread such a vintage model and ended up reading from the original instruction manual. (Thank you Grandma for keeping everything together!)

My first attempt at threading the gadget did not go as planned as this happened:

My bestest camping buddy happens to be an excellent seamstress & when she saw my bent needle Facebook post, she came over immediately with a replacement. After cleaning & oiling this (almost 40) year old appliance, fiddle & futzed around with the tension, slight motor issues - not moving the needle up & down, she was able to sew an entire seam on a scrap piece of ripstop. Before she departed, I gave it a whirl and when I completed my own row, I was confident enough to send her home.

I was hungry and decided to make a quick sandwich and apparently my machine was hungry too because it took a bite out of my stuff sack!

This is definitely NOT fun to deal with!

Dear Kyle (from RipStopByTheRoll) your on-line HOW-To videos made this project look EASY & you did not cover how to fix THIS! Luckily, I am a very smart independent woman and will loosen screws until I figure it out.

I'm not sure who told me DIY projects are very rewarding and fulfilling. I did not feel rewarded nor fulfilled when the next events happened.

Second bite:

And apparently I hadn't learned my lesson yet, because ...... 3rd bite

At this rate, I wouldn't HAVE any material left to practice on! Before I threw this old piece of junk out of the window, I decided to count to 10. Isn't that what people are taught in anger management classes? I can only assume so because I wanted to pick up this piece of metal and shake it until it had shaken baby syndrome. There wasn't a relaxed bone in my body after dealing with three bites from this ravenous contraption. I wanted to throw her in a huge pool of hot melted lava. I could picture her sinking down like The Terminator while I stood smiling as her foot pedal finally submerged.

I opted to step away from the JC Penny #6925 and go to bed.

Day Two: Mother Knows Best

While my mom has never sewn a hammock, tarp, or a stuff sack, she did make all the silver shiny vests we wore in high school as we twirled the flags in Marching Band. She knows how to sew light weight fabric. Her suggestion? Put a piece of paper underneath. (She did suggest this right away, but you know me. I HAD TO DO IT MY WAY!)

And of course it worked. I was able to sew. My not-so-perfect stuff sack is done. What started as an 18 X 30 piece of fabric is now a 4X5 stuff sack.

I know I could end my lavish DIY career here and pay one of you fine folks to finish my hammock for me, but now I'm determined not to let this apparatus win!

Thank goodness I have three more remnants of material left and my camping buddy is lending her sewing machine to me next weekend. So, I'll be foregoing ANOTHER weekend of camping to get this DIY project done.

When I perfect these stuff sacks and feel confident enough to get my hammock done..... it will be the best night's sleep in a hammock I will have ever had.

....to be continued....
    Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 08-29-2016 at 18:10.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Well, your hungry machine gave you quite an adventure, but your 4x5 stuff sack does look nice! Congrats on sticking with it! I just sewed my own hammock the other day and it is a very nice experience when it all goes well.

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    Lol, well we're here to commiserate. Sewing machines all seem to have their own personalities, and once you figure out what that is, the two of you should get along fine.

And let's be honest: You're going to buy more ripstop. You are. I am. We all are. It's only a matter of time. Give into it
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Having just completed my first DIY project with my wife ( who knows how to sew and did all the sewing) you have our sympathy and our thanks for the laughter after reading this.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Having 7th grade home-ec flashbacks. Looks good in the end though, I'm impressed with all the DIY stuff. Perserverance has a lot to do with it.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Karla, you are my spirit animal! I have a HATE/HATE relationship with my sewing machine. I'd love to get my sledge hammer and just go to town on that pieve of ^T%(&%&!! And don't even get me started on RBTR Kyle's "oh it's soooo simple to sew a stuffsack" video- I want to take that hat he wears backwards and pull it down over his head so hard it ends up around his neck. (Sorry Kyle, just being honest!)

Something's wrong with the tension on mine, the threads get all bunched up and birdsnested. I don't want to screw it up even more so I'm not going to try and make any adjustments. Unlike you, I don't have anyone available that knows the arcane majic of sewing and sewing machine maintenance so it will just collect dust until such time as I can find someone willing to help me out with it. Be thankful you have support!

Good luck in your continued attempts to sew and DIY- I'll stick to splicing and other projects that don't require black sewing magic in the meantime.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I'll stick to splicing and other projects that don't require black sewing magic in the meantime.
    I JUST started watching videos on splicing. When I finish my hammock, I want to make my own ridgeline & continuous loops. But then I exhale and realize I have a lot of sewing before I worry about AmSteel blue vs. zing-it vs. lash-it type questions.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hey, thanks for reinforcing the stereotype of us frugal German Lutherans. Now I know why my wife gives me that "stay away from my $500 dollar sewing machine" whenever I bring up the idea that I want to use it to teach myself how to sew. Looking forward to hearing how it all turns out and I'll leave the sewing to the experts.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good read and you are patient. My first and last attempt ended up with an old Singer in the garbage can and a lot of money to other vendors for my sanity. I envy anyone having these skills as like you my mother till this day still sews and she's in her 80's. I only wish now I had paid just a little bit of attention. Oh well my loss is the cottage vendors gain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast