Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Here is Just Jeff's Hiking with kids page. Down toward the bottom are pics of his boys at ages 4 & 8 in their hammocks and a link to his homemade child's hammock and quilt.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Here is Just Jeff's Hiking with kids page. Down toward the bottom are pics of his boys at ages 4 & 8 in their hammocks and a link to his homemade child's hammock and quilt.
    Hmmm, I will have to keep that stuff in mind. My 3yo likes carrying a pack, but I think the one on the last trip was too heavy for him. The bag was too large for his back too.

He does have a cheap school bag, but it doesn't have chest straps. I think I might be able to use velcro or something.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Remember when asking a vendor, they are limited in what they can say/recommend by the legal system and they have to give a very, very conservative figure because Bozo Joe, or Jane, could take them at their word and not consider the characteristics of their own kid. Hennessy or Clark or Jacks at JRB or ..., if they give a figure at all would do exactly like Hennessy did.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Hmmm, I will have to keep that stuff in mind. My 3yo likes carrying a pack, but I think the one on the last trip was too heavy for him. The bag was too large for his back too.

He does have a cheap school bag, but it doesn't have chest straps. I think I might be able to use velcro or something.
    Be very conservative and very, very light in a pack for a child. Their bones are still rapidly developing and are a lot more malleable than those of an adult.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I posted a two hammock under one tarp report which you can view here

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1154

I found it only marginally successful. I had to place my daughter's hammock about as high as I could reach and because the hammocks sagged, I had to place mine fairly low. This meant that I had to really lift her into the hammock and when I got in mine, I was bumping the plants below.

Next time, I'll try one tree for both heads and two trees for the feet so that we form two legs of a triangle.

I have a monster tarp though. If you are getting a scout from Hennessy, I think you can get he same poly hex fly that I have thrown in for free as part of a sale.

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    JJ recommends a maximum load of about 1/4th of the child's weight. My son used a mesh child's backpack without a chest strap and loved it - the bag only weighed 9 ozs. Fit is way more important than design because of the light amount of weight the child will carry. An average 3 year old only weights about 30 to 35 lbs so they shouldn't try to carry more than 7 to 8 lbs. You should also be ready to carry the child's pack if they get really tired. Growing take a lot of energy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    What's the general consensus on the age of children sleeping in a hammock by themselves. I emailed Hennessey and they told me a child should not sleep in a hammock alone until they are at least 12.

Has anyone let a 3 year old sleep in their own hammock, or would that be insane?
    I have two kids. One is 6 yrs old and the other 13. They have their own hammock and love sleeping on it at home (backyard camping) or the outdoors with minimal supervision. I would still suggest that children should be taught how to use their equipments and adult supervision is necessary for their own safety and enjoyment.

PS. Im using a clytor clone.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    I posted a two hammock under one tarp report which you can view here

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1154

I found it only marginally successful. I had to place my daughter's hammock about as high as I could reach and because the hammocks sagged, I had to place mine fairly low. This meant that I had to really lift her into the hammock and when I got in mine, I was bumping the plants below.

Next time, I'll try one tree for both heads and two trees for the feet so that we form two legs of a triangle.

I have a monster tarp though. If you are getting a scout from Hennessy, I think you can get he same poly hex fly that I have thrown in for free as part of a sale.

FreeTheWeasel
    You could also try a single pair of trees with the hammocks side-by-side...I think Jeff likes this arrangement (if I remember right) because there's little interference from the small weight of a child, and it keeps them close at hand in case of nightmares or a bathroom emergency or whatever. If that's not suitable, you could always use a single pair of trees with a spreader bar between the suspensions on the head end.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Depends on the kid obviously, but my kids have been hammocking for a few years now and they're 7 and 11. They can get in and out by themselves if we hang it low enough. I usually set up their insulation for them but other than that, they're in it by themselves. Twelve is craziness for kids with normal development, but I can understand the liability issues that would lead a manufacturer to say that...no fault on him.

I like the side-by-side b/c I can easily check on them at night for sweating or shivering...they don't know how to regulate their heat like we do. Also, when it's cold and windy, I put myself on the windward side and give him a bit more heat b/c we're leaning on each other just a bit.

Re: weight - a 3yo should carry a bit of water and a little snack so s/he can feel proud at breaks, probably a lightweight favorite toy, and possibly a rain jacket. That's about it, IMO. But every kid is different. If you use a normal school pack, make sure the straps don't rub the sides of his neck. And in survival we just used 550 cord to make chest straps...you can fake one out of anything.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I have a Kelty Backcountry child carrier backpack. It has a small removable pack attached to it. I am going have him try that this week.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast