Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad/Cheap Bag
    Suspension
    Woopies

7th Idaho Sawtooth Hang?

I haven't seen any buzz on a 7th hang this year. Is it going through this year?

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/hammock-hangs.html

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would not make travel plans.

Since July 18th a massive wildfire has burned a huge swath across the central mountains and worked closer and closer to the Sawtooths daily. At this point it does not look like it will burn into the Sawtooths but the smoke and ash are blowing down wind right over the range. Visibility at times is under a mile, other times blue skys.

Additionally there has only been 2 people RSVP in the last year....not much of a group hang.

I have held off making a 100% decision in the hopes that the fire would be more contained, that some would show some interest in joining the group and that we could still put together a hike.

As of Today I am 90% sure that the hang will not happen this year.

IMG_2825.jpg

This is the smoke column from near our house about 50 miles from the fire....the fire is less than 20 from the Sawtooths and strait down wind.

The Ruby Hang in NE Nevada though is shaping up and looking like a good group.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad/Cheap Bag
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'd heard the fires were pretty bad in Idaho, I hope some great rain is headed your way. I probably won't be able to get work off the weekend of the ruby hang but thanks for the invite. I'll keep my eyes open for next year's get togethers, now that I have a steady job and longer weekends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post

IMG_2825.jpg

This is the smoke column from near our house about 50 miles from the fire....the fire is less than 20 from the Sawtooths and strait down wind.
    WOW!!!! Looks like a volcano.... take care out there brother....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    WOW!!!! Looks like a volcano....
    100 years of miss management of the forests and it may as well be. The forest that has burned will not grow back in my kids lives. Amazing places destroyed, where we held the Spring Meat and Greet Hang is now gone, a great lake where a friend and I float tube fished for 15-16" cutthroat now gone, and miles and miles still burning. Just as bad as if lava had rolled through, the ground is sterilized in these bad of fires.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    100 years of miss management of the forests and it may as well be. The forest that has burned will not grow back in my kids lives. Amazing places destroyed, where we held the Spring Meat and Greet Hang is now gone, a great lake where a friend and I float tube fished for 15-16" cutthroat now gone, and miles and miles still burning. Just as bad as if lava had rolled through, the ground is sterilized in these bad of fires.
    This is becoming a common occurrence out here. I hiked the Gila in NM this summer and surveyed the damage done during the White Water Baldy fire... 465 square miles of forest gone, in an area that looks like it will never again get enough water to even support growing a new forest.

I'd love to blame MIS-management... The truth is climate change is reeking havoc on Western wild lands.. Regardless of what's causing it.

I'm sorry to hear that Idaho is just the latest to feel the pain...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It saddens me that to see so many environmentalists and outdoor lovers push Congress to adopt new wilderness areas and national monuments in order to "conserve and protect" these places, not realizing that this is the conservation that they often end up with when a bureaucrat in Washington D.C. is managing it. When will we learn that local management and protection is often superior?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Amazing places destroyed, where we held the Spring Meat and Greet Hang is now gone,
    This area wow it was lovely no more as in gone. With 2 hangs down what next ah the Ruby Mtns.

image.jpeg
    Last edited by arczeneb; 09-02-2016 at 11:56.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardDavies View Post
    It saddens me that to see so many environmentalists and outdoor lovers push Congress to adopt new wilderness areas and national monuments in order to "conserve and protect" these places, not realizing that this is the conservation that they often end up with when a bureaucrat in Washington D.C. is managing it. When will we learn that local management and protection is often superior?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    Well, respectfully I disagree. Locals tend to want to create jobs and opportunities for their constituents. Allowing timber/mining/ranching interests to come in creates jobs and taxes that fund local schools and government needs. I'm not in any way saying that federal oversight is better, just that protecting wild lands is not something that should be left "just" to local oversight.

A lot of folks say that the reason these fires are so damaging, is that for years we have suppressed fire allowing a buildup of material that would not normally happen if these smaller fires were just left to burn. Well... Now these fires are huge and basically we can't to anything to contain them. In effect ridding the forests of all that flammable material.

It is pretty depressing to see this happen... I don't like the loss of these beautiful areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's to bad about the fires, I was one of the 3 that attempted last years hang but we got snowed out. That part of Idaho is really special and it's a shame to see it get burned almost every year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast