Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    how would you supplement an UQ? if you're cold from the top, you just pile on more stuff, but from underneath, what do you do?
    Well, my primary camping hammock is a double layer (I don't like stretch), so I can easily put my sit pad between the layers. Under my lower back this adds surprisingly much warmth. I have also added a thin foam pad with good success. Of course, with a single layer a pad will be more of a bother.

As RichardDavies said, an underquilt protector will also add a bit of warmth. As does a sock.

The nicest method is add another underquilt. I own an Enlightened Equipment 50° Prodigy top quilt, that can be transformed into an underquilt. Added to one of my 3-season underquilts, it easily adds 10°. But I have even used lightweight down sleeping bags or blankets. I usually just stuff it between the underquilt and the hammock.

Of course, none of the methods is the same as owning an underquilt for very cold weather. But if you have some of the supplements, it's cheaper.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    ok, I knew it wasn't as simple as throwing a jacket under you, your weight would compress the insulation and you'd be right back where you started.

so having a sit pad or some other insulation like a windshield cover would work, but having another quilt to line the UQ with seems suspiciously like you're prepared for it. I was mostly asking what you would do if the weather turned foul while you were out there.

I've heard of people who gathered leaves and grass and stuffed it between the hammock and UQ. I've never tried this but I guess it could work...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Hopefully you wouldn't be extremely under-prepared (40° quilt in 10° weather)...so the fleece gaiter I mentioned would be enough in key areas (lower back, butt). Or gloves, extra shirt, whatever you have.

20 is the most versatile temp overall but if you are in a below freezing environment that would no longer be true.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    When I said I would supplement my underquilt in cold weather, I was not talking about being surprised by the cold while hiking and having to improvise. I was referring to what I would do if I only had a 20° underquilt but decided I wanted to go hiking in January. In this case I would simply pack additional insulation.

I would definitely recommend to always hike well prepared for the coldest temperature that you can reasonably expect. If a lot of your hiking is in very cold weather, rather go with a 0° uq.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls
    Thanks for the input, all!

When people are saying " 20F quilts are the most versatile" I think they are ignoring a key aspect of my question. And that is, MONEY is no factor. In terms of bang for the buck, I have no doubt that a 20F UQ is usually the best choice. But if you had a choice of either free, would you really pick the 20F? It would be like picking a Honda Accord over a full-size Lexus if both were free.

Let's look at it from a DIY standpoint. If you are going to make ONE quilt, and assuming there's no significant difference in price, which quilt would you make, 0F or 20F?

I think the argument that the 0F quilt allows you to not have to wear long johns or bring other clothing is a good one. You'd probably save more weight not having to bring extra clothing. How much more does a 0F quilt weigh? A torso length 0F Lynx weighs only five ounces more than the 20F. Probably allows you to go lighter with the top quilt, too. Granted, there's a bigger difference with a full length.

So far, I don't see much downside to the 0F quilt. Maybe it would be tricky venting it on a 45F night, which is where I do a lot of camping.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goober View Post
    But if you had a choice of either free, would you really pick the 20F?
    Absolutely. Out of my past 20 trips, I think I used it 18 times. Those other two times I could have gotten by with supplementing, but also having a 0° UQ was worth it to me. I'm very good at tricking myself and justifying purchases like that.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    No, the 20° uq is most versatile because it's not too warm from spring to fall. I own 20°, 10° and 0° full-length underquilts, and while I sleep extremely cold, the 20° uq works best for all temps above freezing. I only need to vent it when it's above 85°, and I can make it work to about 25° with a sit pad. Both the 10° and especially the 0° need to be vented a lot sooner, and they are not as comfy at high temperatures.

No matter which uq I take, I can't save on clothes. I could never sleep in just my underwear - I always take sleeping pants and a long sleeved shirt. My down vest is part of my pack no matter what time of the year it is. But maybe those who sleep warm(er) can chime in.

Seriously, if money is no object and you sleep outdoors during all 4 seasons, get both.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post

Seriously, if money is no object and you sleep outdoors during all 4 seasons, get both.
    I absolutely love your responses. So informational and kind.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the input, all!

When people are saying " 20F quilts are the most versatile" I think they are ignoring a key aspect of my question. And that is, MONEY is no factor. In terms of bang for the buck, I have no doubt that a 20F UQ is usually the best choice. But if you had a choice of either free, would you really pick the 20F? It would be like picking a Honda Accord over a full-size Lexus if both were free.

Let's look at it from a DIY standpoint. If you are going to make ONE quilt, and assuming there's no significant difference in price, which quilt would you make, 0F or 20F?
    no, people are telling you the 20* is more versatile not because it's cheaper, but because it's more versatile. it's lighter and less bulky to pack and because the extra temp rating might never be needed.

to use your analogy it's like using a heavy duty diesel pick-up instead of a sedan to commute with because your wife said she might like a garden one day... if you ever moved to a new house...

would you do that even if both were free? there are costs and conveniences associated with operation of both...

I think the argument that the 0F quilt allows you to not have to wear long johns or bring other clothing is a good one. You'd probably save more weight not having to bring extra clothing. How much more does a 0F quilt weigh? A torso length 0F Lynx weighs only five ounces more than the 20F. Probably allows you to go lighter with the top quilt, too. Granted, there's a bigger difference with a full length.
    first, if you're going out in weather that requires a 0* quilt you're going to have long johns.

and second, I wouldn't be using just a torso length UQ in any weather a 20* quilt couldn't handle. if you're truly worried that, on occasion, a 20* may not be warm enough, consider what hutzelbein suggested - using supplemental insulation.

a $20 Costco down throw, narrowed to 40 inches and laid inside a 20* UQ would add significant warmth at little cost in either bulk or weight...

So far, I don't see much downside to the 0F quilt. Maybe it would be tricky venting it on a 45F night, which is where I do a lot of camping.
    if you do a lot of camping at 45* why are you even talking about a 0* quilt? trying to use a 0* quilt on a 45* night would take more than just a little messing around that I personally wouldn't endure.

there's a reason they make these things in varying temp ratings...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12