Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

New Member from the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Area

Hello,

I've been backpacking for about a decade now and was always a tent camper until this year (2016).

I more or less used the same set of gear for almost that whole time without questioning much of it. It just worked... with one small problem. I could never sleep consistently comfortably in a tent.

Finally, this past year, I've been getting into hammock camping and I don't see myself going back to a tent (except when I let my girlfriend use my hammock... maybe a second hammock purchase is in my future).

I've been on a number of backpacking trips ranging from KY to NH this year with my one and only hammock (Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip) and am now getting to the point where I am beginning to fine tune and customize my hammock gear since I have a much better idea of what I am looking for.

In addition to hammocks, I'm getting more and more into lightweight / ultralight ... but I am also something of a bushcrafter so I do add a bit of that element into my kit and mentality. I like lightweight, but I also like durable / long-lasting, and I like to carry a small number of tools so that I can simply use nature in some situations to provide certain items instead of carrying them with me. With that being said, I also wish to preserve the woods, therefore, unless I were to find myself in a true survival situation, the materials that I might take from the woods would mostly consist of dead or dead-standing wood.

I plan to hammock camp in all four seasons in temperatures from more or less 0 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

I've already learned some valuable information from these forums simply through search engines and as a guest and I look forward to learning quite a bit more now that I've taken a step toward membership. I will surely contribute what information I can as well, but make no mistake, I still certainly consider myself a hammock noob.

As of right now, my setup consists of:

Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip Hammock
    Hennessy Monsoon Tarp
    Hammock Gear Phoenix 20 Underquilt
    Whoopie Slings
    6' Dyneema Tree Straps (with two small aluminum rods to use as toggles for a Marlin Spike Hitch)

...I am currently using unzipped sleeping bags of varying temperature ranges or fleece blankets as top covers... but a quality top quilt is certainly something that I plan to purchase. I am leaning toward the Burrow 20 by Hammock Gear.

I also would love to get ahold of a Cuben Fiber Tarp, such as the Hammock Gear standard with doors.

Anyway... there's a lengthy intro.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Welcome! ...to a not so new noobie.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Welcome from an hour south. Looks like you have quite the setup there. Make sure to stop by the hangouts section for get together soon around our area.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome to the forums from Marietta GA.

Interestingly, we have a current member with a user name very similar to yours.

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    Welcome and enjoy the forums. I'm fairly sure you'll have lots to offer as well!

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Welcome from Columbus! We try to get a hang of some sort together each month, so feel free to join us. Heading to Mohican on the 23rd and planning threads are always in the Midwest section.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome! I'm 1 year into hammock camping (but if hiking and kayak camping) and before this I hated tent camping so much the idea of backpacking made me cringe - now I'm looking to gain the experience you have over time! Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks all.

• + New Posts