Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Question Sipsey Wilderness Recommendations

I'm planning a backpacking trip to Sipsey in the October time frame, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for trips/trails. The plan would be to arrive on a Friday evening/night (minimal hiking), hike and see the sites on Saturday, and then leaving around noon on Sunday. Any recommendations for trails, campsites or recommend forum threads, etc. would be most appreciated .

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    That time of year is the best in the Sipsey. What kind of mileage are you looking at doing? We also have a group hang the 28-30 October.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Probably 12 to 15 miles. Thanks for the info on the group hang also.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I'll look at my map when I get home later. That's a lot of miles to fit into a short window if you want a short hike Friday and out by lunch on Sunday.

There's a normal hiking mile and then a "Sipsey mile." Is this your first trip to the Sipsey?

You can camp wherever you want in Bankhead Forest/Sipsey Wilderness. I'd suggest searching for "Sipsey" in the southeast forum. I'm sure there's several threads. FYI - the trails aren't blazed so profiency with a map and compass is highly recommended especially if traveling solo.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 09-08-2016 at 18:56.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm definitely not looking to over do it. There will be 3 of us but we're just looking to get out and see something different. One of the guys has be there once, but I've not. I've wanted to come for a while but it's about 3.5 to 4 hours away, so it does take a little planning for us. I was looking to do a loop just so the whole trip would be "new", but if there's a good out and back you could recommend, that would be fine also. Thanks again for the info.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Sipsey Wilderness Recommendations

I cheated for the sake of time.... There are lots of options, but here's one with variety that I copied from www.sipseywilderness.org I would suggest visiting the website.

South on West Borden (or 200 if crossing Borden Creek is an option), west on 209, north on 204, southeast on 224 back to Borden creek trailhead. This is at least 12 miles, maybe 13; good in either direction though 200 is generally considered more attractive than 224 - so do you want to save the best for last or see it when you're fresh?

In my opinion, 200 and 209 are more scenic (and you're right beside water the whole time) but tougher hiking. There's not much water on 204 or 224, but it's easier hiking (and less scenic) in my opinion. If you want to go, you're not too far from "The Big Tree" when you are on 204.

Camping along east or west Borden shouldn't be a problem - it's a popular area. I believe west Borden has more camping options. I would suggest getting a good topo map, too.

Just a note: the new parking area is on top of the ridge, so after hiking this loop, you still have a nice long climb out to your vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 09-08-2016 at 23:18.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    To state some of the same... If you are going to the East side of the forest, Borden Creek to Big Tree is about 5 miles one way. You need a good map, because there are a couple of trails to get there. This is through the part of the forest that had some burned areas in the last year or so. Plenty of water around the big tree, but a dry hike in.
    Picnic Area to Fall Creek falls is 1.1 miles, and you can scramble up to camp up top. You have to cross Borden Creek, but it can become a raging torrent after a big rain.
    Great camping on the East Side of Borden Creek, which you hike about 1 mile from the picnic area or less from the Borden Creek trail head. The Fat Man squeeze is on Borden. Good camping if you hike up the bluffs, or you can camp by the creek.
    If you are coming from the West side of the forest, there is Ship Rock and Needles Eye.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Jnunniv and MissileMan, thanks so much for the info! I appreciate the help. Will let you know what we end up doing. Thanks again!

Tarp
    DIY, Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    We were in the Sipsey this weekend. Here's a quick snapshot of our campsite. We decided on a light hike (had some new guys) and scrambled up above Fall Creek Falls and walked in a bit. 14352415_594895468622_6201231545467160259_o.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dimwood View Post
    We were in the Sipsey this weekend. Here's a quick snapshot of our campsite. We decided on a light hike (had some new guys) and scrambled up above Fall Creek Falls and walked in a bit. 14352415_594895468622_6201231545467160259_o.jpg
    Man...that looks dry!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast