Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bear Cans in Pisgah & Cheap Hiker Shuttle

Good Morning!

Some friends and I are going to do the Art Loeb Trail in North Carolina this October and I was hoping for some help on a couple of things.

#1 Are Bear Cans required on the Art Loeb Trail North of the BRP? If so, is the use of them policed? I have a hard time understanding why these are required in North Carolina but not in Yellowstone where the bears are bigger and meaner and there are more of them. I'm not saying that I wouldn't use use a bear can but I've hung my food in many different places with incident and I would like to get the whole story on it.

#2 Can anyone recommend a place to stay and a shuttle provider that is near the Art Loeb? The only one of these that I can find is Pura Vida Adventures and they charge $145 to drive 4 guys from Hendersonville to the trailhead. Seems a little steep to me.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I did the ALT in June of this year. Not sure of your itinerary but bear canisters are required if you camp inside the Shining Rock Wilderness. I chose to hike far enough to leave the wilderness area (Ivestor Gap) before stopping for the first night (assuming you are hiking southbound). Once leaving Shining Rock there are very limited hanging opportunities until you reach the spruce grove near the parking area for Black Balsam Knob so that can make for a long day.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Brevard (5 min from trailhead) and used Harry from the Asheville Airport Shuttle who picked us up at the parking area at the southern trailhead and shuttled us to Camp Daniel Boone. He charges $120 for the first two people and $10 each beyond that. That seems pretty reasonable to me considering it is over an hour trip.

Also be aware of your water as this is a ridge line trail and the sources are sporadic and those can be intermittent. We used a small spring just off trail near Shining Rock and did not see any more water until Deep Gap on the south side of the BRP. That was a stretch of about 12 miles without water including a dry camp. I have some maps of what we did if that interests you.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    As for the 'why', there have been multiple incidents over the past few years of bears finding stuff in tents and ripping them apart or taking a backpack.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bonefire Whisper
    Suspension
    Bonfire Deluxe
    Images
    It's not just required in the wilderness area. The map that is displayed at the trail heads indicated that an approved bear cannister is required from where Art crosses MST just North of BRP all the way to the Camp Daniel Boone Trail Head. There is a Ranger who patrols the area often and does issue citations. If hiking Sobo and wanting to avoid carrying a can, you have to plan on 14ish miles and stock up on water at the spring head at the end of FS 816 or plan on going a bit farther to the shelter/spring at Deep Gap below Pilot Mountain.
    Not sure about shuttles, might check w/ the Hub and see if they have any recommendations
    www.thehubpisgah.com

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    So can you be in that pine forest on the MST, just north of the BRP or do you need to actually make it south of the parkway

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumpyro View Post
    The map that is displayed at the trail heads indicated that an approved bear cannister is required from where Art crosses MST just North of BRP all the way to the Camp Daniel Boone Trail Head.
    Thank you for this clarification, I had been given some incorrect advice and didn't check it out for myself. Is there anywhere other than the trail head that states anything more specific than "Black Balsam Vicinity"? Not questioning the validity of that, just looking for more details.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I never found any clear maps online that showed the area.
    I'd be interested as well if folks have a link to them.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I called Pisgah Ranger District. One person said the Shining Rock Wilderness area was the border. Called back an hour later and another person said anywhere north of the Blue Ridge Parkway. He said there is a ranger patrolling handing out $200 citations. Who really knows. Guess the bearvault is coming

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    This is the latest info I have. Click: New Bear Regs in Pisgah Not very clear! But sounds like you're taking canisters to be sure. Couldn't hurt. Have a great trip!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bonefire Whisper
    Suspension
    Bonfire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycobbler View Post
    So can you be in that pine forest on the MST, just north of the BRP or do you need to actually make it south of the parkway
    I'm at the beach this week or I would run over and take a pic of the map posted at the trailhead
    (I live in Brevard) As best as I can remember, the MST was the border of the shaded area where Art runs into it, So as long as you were south of it you should be fine although hammock or tent sites are slim in that area. If you are talking about the pine forest just left of FS 816 where Art crosses, that area was in the shaded area on the map. I have looked and cannot find the map that is posted at the trailhead online anywhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast