Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Small update here. I now own an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 Limited Edition.

It was an "on the shelf" in stock item that happened to be a size that would fit me so I didn't have to custom order and go through the wait.

From the EE website regarding the "limited edition" part:

This limited run Revelation uses 850 DownTek treated down, as well as, 7D micro-ripstop fabric for the liner and a 20D leaf green for the shell.

Also, I really should have titled this thread how to get more out of insulation, not just the top quilt... because I know what you mean when you all are saying that you'll only be as warm as the underquilt.

So, now I have a good 20 degree top quilt and a 3/4 length 20 degree underquilt. I have a foam pad I can use for the footbox if necessary, I will always have a jacket and some other warm layers in winter that I can play around with, and I think I'll look into an underquilt protector.

I'll play around with some ideas this winter (safely!) and see what happens and if can stay comfortable down into the teens or so.

Tools in the arsenal will be the 20/20 top/under quilts, probably an UQ protector, and a tarp that I can tightly cocoon with doors.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    ....Also, a piece of reflectix under you on those cold nights makes a big difference....

Hi, Brian.
    I wondered about using reflectix in my Ridgerunner, above the Lynx UQ, but somehow I figured it would reflect bottom heat AWAY from down there, and defeat my Underquilt. Am I mistaken?
    Seems like a foam pad would hold warm air, but the metal foil would bounce it the wrong way???
    Can you ( or anyone ) anyone enlighten me?

"Mahwedge...
    A bwessed awangement...
    A dweam within a dweam..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbeard View Post
    wondered about using reflectix... but ... figured it would reflect bottom heat AWAY from down there, ...the metal foil would bounce it the wrong way???
    You are mistaken, soz.
    Where do you think the heat comes from?
    Beware of magical thinking.
    The underquilt does not create heat... you do.

--
    Gadget

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Also, I really should have titled this thread how to get more out of insulation, not just the top quilt... because I know what you mean when you all are saying that you'll only be as warm as the underquilt.
    I pushed my 20 degree Phicubator down to 4F wearing mid-weight base layer, fleece and footpad where the only real discomfort was when my foot shifted off the footpad. I pitched my tarp very low with a tiny leaf wall on the windward side to block a slight breeze. Any real wind would probably have changed the story. Location is a very important factor that should be considered in addition to temp ratings.

I'm speaking to comfort. I slept comfortably. I'm sure I would have been uncomfortable had the temps been lower or winds higher but that would have been 1 night out of 150. Had temps dropped enough that I was chilly I would have done some jumping jacks and eaten something then and slept in.

So, now I have a good 20 degree top quilt and a 3/4 length 20 degree underquilt. I have a foam pad I can use for the footbox if necessary, I will always have a jacket and some other warm layers in winter that I can play around with, and I think I'll look into an underquilt protector.

I'll play around with some ideas this winter (safely!) and see what happens and if can stay comfortable down into the teens or so.

Tools in the arsenal will be the 20/20 top/under quilts, probably an UQ protector, and a tarp that I can tightly cocoon with doors.

Thanks again.
    I have a TQZQ UQ protector as well (didn't have it that night) and I find that it is effective at helping to prevent the wind from robbing your heat.

Bottom line is that temp ratings are dependent on the individual and conditions and thus you are only as warm as your UQ. It is difficult to improvise UQ insulation but relatively easy to supplement your TQ insulation.

The more you use your gear the better you will become at maximizing it's potential. First time I used my 15 degree UQ at 20 degrees I woke up cold. Experience changed that. Get out there and have fun with your gear.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Beware of magical thinking.
    The underquilt does not create heat... you do....
    Gadget
    Well, duh. I realize that.
    What I was asking, is how does the heat get from your butt way down to the Underquilt, with a silly piece of FOIL in between there???

Images
    how does the heat get from your butt down to the Underquilt, with a silly piece of FOIL in between
    So, as I understand it, you are concerned that the foil will prevent your body heat from escaping?
    Fancy explaining a bit more about heat transfer and temperature gradients?

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    So, as I understand it, you are concerned that the foil will prevent your body heat from escaping?
    Fancy explaining a bit more about heat transfer and temperature gradients?

--
    Gadget
    I'm confused by your animosity.
    Are we related ???

Images
    Don't take it personal, I'm just hoping to learn how the Reflectix negatively affects the underquilt.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks for all of the replies. I knew registering here would be a good idea... good and quick info from users with experience.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Hammock Gear Burrow 20... long length, probably wide width (in case I ever go to ground with it), no overfill. I am 6' 180lbs.

As far as underquilt protectors go, is the general consensus that the 2QZQ is the "gold standard" for these? I ask because Hennessy does make undercovers as well, I could get one that fits my Expedition Zip hammock specifically, but if the 2QZQ is that good, I'll go with that, and it will also give me more options if I ever get a different hammock in the future.

Regardless of trying to push temperatures, I am going to look into an underquilt cover / protector simply for the fact that I have a (not exactly intentional) habit of camping in severe thunderstorms. Out of my past three trips, only one has been dry.
    HH does have a Winter System. We did a lot of research before purchasing the system. One family member finds it to be great, the other two find it not worth much. So it again comes down to personal taste.
    We live part of the year in Northern B.C., very severe conditions. We have learned what is between you and the ground it the key to staying warm. Be it hammock, tent, bed, put the warm stuff under you.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Well, duh. I realize that.
    What I was asking, is how does the heat get from your butt way down to the Underquilt, with a silly piece of FOIL in between there???
    So In a past life I purchased the HH Supershelter, which is basically a piece of Reflextex that you insert between the bottom of your hammock and a SilNylon undercover. It's very effective but there is a downside... condensation. I've never used it where there wasn't moisture puddled on top of the reflextex. I think that part of the reason is that between the unbreathable SilNylon and the vapor barrier the reflextex delivers, there's no place for the normal perspiration your body gives off to go....

If you build either reflextex or Mylar into a quilt, your going to run into the same issue. I hope I didn't misunderstand your question or proposal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast