Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    If you build either reflextex or Mylar into a quilt, your going to run into the same issue... there's no place for the normal perspiration your body gives off to go....
    I don't think there was a plan to build it in, just shove a piece of Reflectix under your butt, if it gets cold.
    If you are cold, how much are you sweating... is that normal?

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

Suggestions on how to "get more" out of a top quilt?

Sorry, missed your post. There's a lot of differing opinions on the effectiveness of reflectix. I've had good luck with it and it's saved my butt more than once. Agree that if you use it when it's too warm you'll get condensation, but that's not when I use it. For me it's for those nights when I underestimate the temps. Two weeks ago I went camping at the same spot two weekends in a row. First weekend was with my family, second with a bunch of buddies. First weekend never got below 55* second weekend was high winds and 37*. Made the mistake of taking the same gear for both. Reflectix plus a couple of other tricks allowed me to sleep warm and comfy. I take it every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I added a draft collar to my HG 20* TQ you lose most of your warmth when you move, so if you can minimize movement and get a better seal you can get more out of your gear.20160329_193930.jpg
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    When we make our TQ we add a stip between 4 - 6 ins. wide, from where we start the taper, over the head of the quilt down to the taper.
    We cut out the top of our TQ, save a strip of fabric. The hem the strip, put it aside while we build the quilt. Stuff the chambers with down, add the draft stopper strip.
    So far for our family this has worked very well. The single layer of fabric seals out drafts, not noticeable if slept on. Adds only a tiny bit of weight, does not require added expwnse or bulk of down. Works in hammock, bed or ground.
    Seals like a gasket, thin really not noticeable.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfish77 View Post
    When we make our TQ we add a stip between 4 - 6 ins. wide, from where we start the taper, over the head of the quilt down to the taper.
    We cut out the top of our TQ, save a strip of fabric. The hem the strip, put it aside while we build the quilt. Stuff the chambers with down, add the draft stopper strip.
    So far for our family this has worked very well. The single layer of fabric seals out drafts, not noticeable if slept on. Adds only a tiny bit of weight, does not require added expwnse or bulk of down. Works in hammock, bed or ground.
    Seals like a gasket, thin really not noticeable.
    innovative idea. Thanks for your clear description.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbeard View Post
    What I was asking, is how does the heat get from your butt way down to the Underquilt, with a silly piece of FOIL in between there???
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Don't take it personal, I'm just hoping to learn how the Reflectix negatively affects the underquilt.

--
    Gadget
    I don't know how this idea has propagated so much, but I've pretty much given up trying to fight it.

I've used this in a last minute pinch. It's a kidney warming belt. Great for hunting, a bit heavy for UL backpacking. Plus you have to bring Hot Hands warmers for the pockets.
    One could DIY an apparatus in lighter weight material if they don't mind the extra weight...

kidney belt.jpg

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    MacCat or Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    This is what I do as well - plus I put my zipped up jacket (or vest) over my feet inside the hammock. For me, by keeping the feet, head, and kidneys warm the rest seems to be good.
    I have the 20 Pheonix and 20 burrow. THe burrow is just perfect. The puffy jacket around feet make a huge difference to me. That said I did just order a 20 incubator. I am hoping that additional coverage on the feet will be worth the extra bulk, and will be less fiddling with trying to position a sit pad or refletix just right to try and insulate my exposed feet in the pheonix. I am attributing my cold feet to lack of underquit coverage rather than limitation of top quilt- but we shall soon see.
    And even if you saw it yourself, you wouldn't believe it
    But I wouldn't trust a person like me, if I were you
    Sure I wasn't there, I swear I have an alibi
    I heard it from a man who knows a fella who says it's true
    Gaelic Storm - Johnny Tarr

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhp45auto View Post
    I have the 20 Pheonix and 20 burrow. THe burrow is just perfect. The puffy jacket around feet make a huge difference to me. That said I did just order a 20 incubator. I am hoping that additional coverage on the feet will be worth the extra bulk, and will be less fiddling with trying to position a sit pad or refletix just right to try and insulate my exposed feet in the pheonix. I am attributing my cold feet to lack of underquit coverage rather than limitation of top quilt- but we shall soon see.
    Bulk is definitely worth it. I went back and forth on this and finally decided to stay with a full length, or even a custom length. I now have a 60" and 73" both of which cover my feet; the 60" starts at my shoulders and still covers my feet. I don't really care about covering my head unless it's really cold.

Here's a photo comparing the standard Incubator (78") and Phoenix (52"). That extra bit for your legs isn't taking up much space. If you were to literally cut that off and compress it, I'm guessing you'd have the size of a softball or a little larger. No big deal.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My first UQ was also an HG Phoenix 20, and I thought I could supplement it for lower temps. It didn't work out well for me. The lowest I ever got was 13* F but I was freezing. I did the socks, extra layers, beanie, hot water bottles - all for naught. While hammock socks, UQPs and overcovers work for some, I get way too much condensation and would rather not use those methods.

Nowadays I let insulation do its job, and I don't even wear socks. I use the 10* buffer rule - if the expected overnight temps are going to be 30* F, then I'll take my Phoenix 20* so I have a 10* buffer. If the expected overnight low is 20* then I'll take my 0* Incubator. And if the expected low is 0* F, I'm stacking quilts!
    Dude! do you use the 10* buffer rule???

I'm shocked! it's the first time I ever heard you mention it...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast