DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hey litetrek, I don't know if you're a member of the AOC or not. If not, you should join, they have hikes and trips going all the time that you could tag along on.

I just signed up for this hike on Wednesday at KM:
    http://www.atlantaoutdoorclub.com/ev...?eventid=12620

It would be cool if you could make it!

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    New to hanging and I ordered a EE UQ in long 40*. I also have a EE REV 30* and carry a neo air if it will be chilly. I went with the long because it seemed like I'd like it better. I don't plan to be out many nights under 40.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I live in the Southeast and backpack in the spring fall and winter with an occasional summer trip. I currently have a 20 F jarbidge underquilt which is longer than a 3/4 and a little shorter than a full length quilt. I've been thinking of upgrading to a down 20 F under quilt and that has me considering the different options. The full length is nice because its just simple. No extra stuff to carry to insulate your feet, etc. But it is heavier, costs more, takes up more space in the pack, etc.

I always backpacked with a 3/4 length pad when I slept on the ground and was always fairly warm and happy with that option so a 3/4 underquilt may work fine for me .. don't know.

What do those of you who have owned both full and 3/4 length under quilts think about it and recommend?
    I'd keep the Jarbridge and get a full length - this would enable you to pick/choose or stack UQs if/as needed.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Hey litetrek, I don't know if you're a member of the AOC or not. If not, you should join, they have hikes and trips going all the time that you could tag along on.

I just signed up for this hike on Wednesday at KM:
    http://www.atlantaoutdoorclub.com/ev...?eventid=12620

It would be cool if you could make it!
    Hey thanks. I work most weekdays but I have alternating Mondays off. I've got to work Wednesday, but I'm going to start watching the AOC hikes. Tomorrow I'm hitting the gym at lunchtime to start towards losing the beer belly. About 9 years ago I did a 70 miler with the Scouts at Philmont in NM. I need to get back into that sort of shape.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

full length vs 3/4 under quilt - which do you recommend?

I just bit the bullet and purchased a full length underquilt. It's likely to be the only down underquilt that I'll own. I decided to go full length just because it seems easier. I don't have many chances to hike in colder weather, so I got a 35 degree underquilt that should do fine for me year round.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    This is normally a split debate. Full length is generally accepted as easier to adjust and 3/4 quilts are obviously lighter. Pick what more important to you. I have a Jarbidge and a 20 degree full length Incubator on the way.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Does anyone use their down jacket to extend the underquilt length in cold weather? If so how do you rig the suspension. . It seems to me that if done correctly a down jacket that you're carrying already in cold weather could be used to extend a 3/4 underquilt by 18 - 24 inches. Even a lightweight (thin) down jacket should be able to go to 20 F in the foot box area since the jacket would be double thicknes with a trapped air layer.. My thought would be to zip up the zipper and tuck the underquilt into the waist. Cinch the waist cord a bit. Pull the suspension through the neck or arm holes and suspend it. You might need to rig something special for the suspension. to make it work.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Does anyone use their down jacket to extend the underquilt length in cold weather? If so how do you rig the suspension. . It seems to me that if done correctly a down jacket that you're carrying already in cold weather could be used to extend a 3/4 underquilt by 18 - 24 inches. Even a lightweight (thin) down jacket should be able to go to 20 F in the foot box area since the jacket would be double thicknes with a trapped air layer.. My thought would be to zip up the zipper and tuck the underquilt into the waist. Cinch the waist cord a bit. Pull the suspension through the neck or arm holes and suspend it. You might need to rig something special for the suspension. to make it work.
    Shrug demonstrates something to this regard in one of his underquilt videos. Looks effective.

Hammock
    DIY 11' DL Robic XL 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I use a 3/4 under quilt and wear some thick socks. If its cold i put my down pack jacket around my feet. Has kept me comfy down to 26 degrees.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I use a 20* HG standard with but short full length UQ, It's perfect for me at 5'11". If I were to get a Zero UQ it would be Full size Reg, and if I were to get a summer quilt I would go 3/4 just my .02
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast