Hennessey Asym Backpacker zip
    Tarp
    stock HH asym
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    stock HH

more hammock length = comfort?

Hi, does a longer hammock mean it will be more comfortable? I'm 5' 9". I read somewhere that when the hammock is above your height/weight limit, it is more comfortable. is that true? For instance, I'm 5'9". Would a hammock made to fit a 7ft tall person up to 350pounds be way more comfortable? I have the HH ultralite bakpaker, but was thinking of trying the HH survivor or another big hammock if it's way more comfortable.

Thanks

I've heard that longer means more comfort. I figure it means more room to get your perfect lay, but I'm certainly not qualified to answer your question. Maybe some one with more experience and/or knowledge can chime in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I believe the consenses here is that for most people an 11' hammock is ideal for the perfect lay. This length also works well with the 11'- 12' tarps. Anything longer can become a heavier/ bulkier package.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There are definitely hammocks that are too short. Then there's a length where comfort improves exponentially. But if you keep adding length, it won't become ever more comfortable. I'm 5'4" and a simple gathered end hammock under 10' feels too short. I can live with 10', but only adding half a foot will make the hammock super comfortable. Going up to 11' will add a little bit of comfort, but not as much as going from 10' to 10.5' by far. Adding more length will hardly do anything for me. As a result I would go with 10.5' for hiking, when weight and tarp coverage (with an 11' tarp) are important. At home and whenever weight doesn't matter, I pick an 11' hammock. So in short: there's a sweet spot and it doesn't make sense to add more length. For shorter and taller people, the sweet spot will differ, but not as much as you would think.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    There are definitely hammocks that are too short. Then there's a length where comfort improves exponentially. But if you keep adding length, it won't become ever more comfortable. I'm 5'4" and a simple gathered end hammock under 10' feels too short. I can live with 10', but only adding half a foot will make the hammock super comfortable. Going up to 11' will add a little bit of comfort, but not as much as going from 10' to 10.5' by far. Adding more length will hardly do anything for me. As a result I would go with 10.5' for hiking, when weight and tarp coverage (with an 11' tarp) are important. At home and whenever weight doesn't matter, I pick an 11' hammock. So in short: there's a sweet spot and it doesn't make sense to add more length. For shorter and taller people, the sweet spot will differ, but not as much as you would think.
    Well said. I'm convinced it has more to do with the fabric than the length...within reason of course.

I use a 10.5' Grand Trunk parachute which is overkill for me (holds up to 400lb). But the material is slightly stretch and creates NO calf ridge. I also like having NO ridgeline since that just pulls the fabric and exaggerates any calf ridge. Comfort is way above my Warbonnet Traveler and Blackbird (unfortunately, because I just like those hammock more)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    So....I've been thinking about this recently. I've got my original 10' homemade hammock that I've used for years as a lounging hammock and as my winter hammock. For warmer weather, I have a HH Explorer UL. I've noticed a huge difference in comfort between the two; enough of a difference that I've recently decided to make a longer winter hammock for this year. The shorter hammock feels restrictive. But i certainly don't feel like I need anything bigger than the Explorer.

So, yes....there is a difference in comfort. Like a lot of things, bigger is better....up to a point.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I have to agree with hutzelbein. My wife and I are also 5'3"/5'4" and found 10' way too short. 10'6" was a marked improvement. However, we found 11' to be our sweet spot, even for backpacking, though we could sleep in 10'6" if we had to. I'm certain that physical ailments/old injuries play a significant roll here. We found diminishing returns beyond 11'. Though our indoor hammocks are 11'6" and 11'8", we don't find them to be any more comfortable for us than our 11 footers. You may be different.

We sleep in hammocks nightly indoors. We were able to easily determine our preferences by whipping (approx) 12' hammocks to the various lengths we wanted to try. We spent night(s) at each length. We also tried wide fabric, which didn't help either of us.

Some folks report that hammocks with integrated bug netting are uncomfortable. I can't say as I've never tried one.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think it is a combination of things. Length, material, ridgeline or no rigdeline, ridgeline length, the way you hang the hammock, the way you lay in your hammock.. It is a very personal thing and seems to differ with everyone. The general feeling is longer is better but many prefer a shorter hammock.
    It seems to be like bicycle seats or boots. You just need to find what is comfortable for you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can't find the links at the moment but I believe HF members Mad777 & GregB each have a vid where they explore this question. Personally it's 11' hammocks for this 6' man.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I can't find the links at the moment but I believe HF members Mad777 & GregB each have a vid where they explore this question. Personally it's 11' hammocks for this 6' man.
    Here you go.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ammock-Comfort

I wish I could sticky this video it is so well done and really explains the whole hammock length issue. GregB if I haven't thanked you for this video, thanks, for taking time and putting this one together.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-12-2016 at 16:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast