DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I am 6'2" and 220. My DIY hammock bodies are 11' with a 111" +-1" ridge line. This is comfortable for me. I do always try to use fabric that is at least 60" wide. I don't find much difference over 60" but I think it's not as comfortable with less.

I think fabric stretch is a big comfort killer that doesn't get the credit it deserves. A 1.9oz ribstop is not comfortable for me but the same dimensions in 1.9 + 1.1 or that 2.8oz "plain weave" from DYI Gear Supply is totally comfortable.

How you whip also matters. The Hennessy method will produce the flattest lay but not necessarily the most comfortable. Gathered whipping, like the Blackbird, will produce the least flat, but "softest" lay. Accordion whipping (fold sides to center then make 7 or so accordion folds on each side) is in between. I used the latter for a while and liked it but am currently using gathered whipping. A change in whipping might be all you need. Experiment.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
    How you whip also matters.
    Or you could not whip at all. All my hammocks have triple-sewn end channels with an Amsteel continuous loop through the channel. Whipping just doesn't interest me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Unless I'm way off, the tighter the end channel the more likely an unwanted ridge (calf ridge) or wrinkle? When I swapped my stock rope from the NX270 it had a modest ridge but going to a tight continuous loop it had a pronounced one. I used a larger-loop caribiner and put the continuous loop on that which effectively spread the sewn chanels out. Result? No ridge. None. Poof.

Whipping seems to shorten the effective length and potentially put stressed ridges at the ends depending on how its done. Again, I might be wrong but I'm happily learning as I go.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    Unless I'm way off, the tighter the end channel the more likely an unwanted ridge (calf ridge) or wrinkle?
    I'm not sure how one would tighten (or loosen) an end channel, unless one loosened it the way you described with a carabiner or some other method. I personally have found end channels with continuous loops to be highly consistent and repeatable. I have at least six hammocks done that way.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would say it's personal preference. I love my HH, but didn't quite care for the 11ft hammock I tried.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmyh View Post
    I would say it's personal preference. I love my HH, but didn't quite care for the 11ft hammock I tried.
    I still say 10.5' is where it's at!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123