Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images

Hennessy Hex Fly - some question for winter camping

Hi,
    I am thinking to by a Hennessy hex Asym for my Explorer Deluxe.

A couple of question:

- do you normally attach it to the ridgeline like the standard diamond fly?
    - is it sufficient for winter camping with UQ?
    - is the 30D silnylon sturdy enough to bear snow...and wind?
    - there are only 2 tie-outs and no pull-outs. Strong enough?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have never attached my Hex Fly to the ridgeline. I used it with a HH, and I always tied it to trees instead. I used the prusiks for the standard fly, though. It surely made things easy.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I've done a lot of winter trips with the Hennessy system, and I would only use a full coverage tarp, the Hennessy Hex, or something like it. There is not enough coverage with anything smaller to protect against wind or wet conditions. Blocking cold air is very important.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    I've done a good amount of winter camping in my HH hex it comes down to making sure you hang it right to break the storm and or wind. I use my poncho or 5x7 tarp as a make shift door for it from time to time as well. you can attach it to the stock suspension but I prefer to string it separately

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by themadindian View Post
    I've done a good amount of winter camping in my HH hex it comes down to making sure you hang it right to break the storm and or wind. I use my poncho or 5x7 tarp as a make shift door for it from time to time as well. you can attach it to the stock suspension but I prefer to string it separately
    Agreed with this - you can use a poncho or purchase a grizz beak for it from 2QzQ; this is really useful if you've got wind direction changing or can't get a hang that breaks the wind on your side.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The HH Hex Asym is not a winter tarp. A winter tarp would have doors. I would definitely not spend $120 on a silnylon Hex Asym when I could have a 4-season Warbonnet Superfly for $140.

I would not attach the HH Hex to the ridgeline - I could never stand the sag. Also, the HH Hex Asym has two-outs per side, four total tie-outs.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I recently got a HH Expedition and instead of the stock fly, I got the larger Typhoon fly that's made for your sized HH. I pitch it right on my whoopies like you would if you were using the stock suspension and it works fine with plenty of head room, even with the doors on. Now, having the larger fly with smaller HH I'm sure contributes to the extra room. The sym and asym hex fly's are larger than the typhoon and smaller monsoon, but its not a huge difference in length between the typhoon and hex. The ability to pitch it vary tight, 3 tie outs on each side ( it comes with both shock cord and regular line at each tie out point and a pocket to store them both) doors that can be vented at the top,have a shock cord pull out for added room and are secured with mitten hooks at the top/ velco on each side/ toggle at each bottom corner are just a few reasons why I picked it over the sym/asym Hex. I get a lot of wind coming off of the water in front of my house, so the doors were a must for me to be able to hang at home in the winter. As far as coverages go, when pitched tight it does a great job at protecting my UQ from spray and wind driven rain so I'm sure the Hex will also. Mine is the 70d and I plan on using it in the winter when my Snugpak 10x10 isn't enough. Hope that helps, you could get Grizz beaks for your HH Hex and it would do pretty much the same thing as the Typhoon. Main difference being the Typhoon is designed for your style Hammock and the doors would be also. But a Hex with beaks would do about the same job I would imagine with a longer ridge line. IMG_20160912_104000_hdr.jpgIMG_20160912_103931_hdr.jpgIMG_20160912_104044_hdr.jpgIMG_20160906_102151.jpgIMG_20160906_102127.jpgIMG_20160912_103906_hdr.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Delux Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Deluxe
    Images
    Thanks for answers!

As I mentioned, the market in Europe is very limited and purchasing from the US is going to cost me a fortune... what is priced at 140$ is going to be over 230$ with the VAT, duties and shipping, so Warbonnet is not an option.
    Hennessy ships from the UK as well, which is why I am thinking it is a good option. The typhoon is a bit small though.
    DD Hammocks makes them only square and 3X3 meters is not enough for a Explorer length, 4x4 is too heavy

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    I found some pics of me using my 5x7 tarp as a door. I string it one of two ways to make it work on the HH Hex, If I'm doing a low or narrow pitch I tie the top corners down to corner tie out on the hex

If I have the hex hung high or spread for room or want a better seal I use a prusic and tie the top corners of the tarp to my CRL

• + New Posts