Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    This old keyboard cowboy needs to relax in hammock among friends even if they aren't just like me--it's more fun that way.
    This. Let's go hang. HYOH, all.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    TR- I'm an old guy who's lightweight, but still carries a pocket book for reading. Not so lightweight. And I know a guy who is so super ultra lightweight he only eats cold food, top quilt but no pad and lays on the ground, and sometimes, no shoes. The guy's serious lightweight. He's different than me, and he's a nice guy. When you're talking hammocks, you're dealing with people who like laying back and taking naps. A pleasant bunch of non-fighters. I'm sure no one means to be mean. We're all gram weenies, since we all use nylon and down and aluminum/TI. Keep smiling, and keep camping and hiking, and know that all of us who's pack weighs are greater than yours, kind of envy you when we're headed up hill...
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    This will be my last post on this subject.

It's interesting to me that the OP said he read the first 30 posts... THIRTY posts in response to his complaint.

Not one of the first 30 posts... NOT ONE... agreed with his assessment that there is some kind of BIGOTRY (see Silvr Surfr's excellent response to that charge) being displayed by O&B or other forum members.

When and if he comes back he will find more of the same with some off-topic rambling as is inevitable.

Instead of re-assessing his original thoughts and the nature of his "hurt feelings" he doubled down and repeated his threat to leave.

Draw your own conclusions.

EDIT: I blame this whole fiasco on Pennsy Camp and Canoe for going Gram Weenie on us!
    (PC&C you know I'm kidding Brother!)
    Last edited by johnspenn; 09-16-2016 at 04:30.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have backpacked with ultralight backpackers and been an ultra light backpacker. Wiped with two squares of TP. Ick.
    The Weight Walkers can trudge on and enjoy their luxuries at days end. Using a half roll of TP with their morning constitutional.

I'll accept it with pride and a sly smile and chuckle. I love my stool.

Shug
    Well, Shug, then you'd love Blaine, Missouri - stool capital of the United States! [1]

ferret and gbdave beat me to it, but yeah, talk about how context informs the intended meaning of words and terms!

[1] pseudo-source: Waiting For Guffman

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    This will be my last post on this subject.

It's interesting to me that the OP said he read the first 30 posts... THIRTY posts in response to his complaint.

Not one of the first 30 posts... NOT ONE... agreed with his assessment that there is some kind of BIGOTRY (see Silvr Surfr's excellent response to that charge) being displayed by O&B or other forum members.

When and if he comes back he will find more of the same with some off-topic rambling as is inevitable.

Instead of re-assessing his original thoughts and the nature of his "hurt feelings" he doubled down and repeated his threat to leave.

Draw your own conclusions.

EDIT: I blame this whole fiasco on Pennsy Camp and Canoe for going Gram Weenie on us!
    (PC&C you know I'm kidding Brother!)
    i know. when i went back and found that this all started in a thread I posted I felt a little bad

After reading through all 86 posts on this thread, the one thing I noticed is that there was never a reference to where the OP's original quote from O&B came from. So, I did some digging and found it here: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...bought-a-scale (post 29). In reading that entire thread, it felt like it was no different than any other HF thread where people debate the pros and cons, plus the typical back and forth interaction that we're used to seeing and certainly, nothing that I would call mean spirited or bigoted...

Until I got to this post from the OP of this thread replying to O&B: "I see you like to paint with a wide brush. And you're a moderator here?" (post #32). Meanwhile, the thread continues again with more interaction between HF members and everyone sounds happy. To me, that's the only post in the thread that's questionable.

Post #47 has a reply from O&B explaining his position and context of his experience: "Well first let me apologize to you Trail Runner and the group for my poor choice of words or maybe it was my sentence structure or lack of the ability to tell a story. I'm a retired engineer and english/grammer was not my minor in college. Since this thread was about using a scale on your gear. Something I do religiously. I wanted to present an extreme situation that some folks can get themselves into if they take the weigh reduction, dare I say obsession, issue too far."

IMO, no harm, no foul and I fully understand the context and meaning of how O&B got his point across in the original thread that started this whole thing.

To lighten things up: My weenie may be 15, 20, or 25......pounds that is......of weight in my backpack......That's my threshold, but everyone's is unique and there is no right or wrong....Do your own thing.....pack what you want....safety first....be happy...makes sense?

ps: I'm buying a scale this afternoon

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    We're looking for names for the heavy lifters in the group: Pound Puppy?

I'd love to be UL, but I haven't made it there yet. My last overnighter had me packing in a total of about 25 pounds, including water, food, and backpack. Sigh.....

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    "Gram Weenie" is pretty good...because it makes reference to the act of counting the weight carefully, and assigns the term "weenie" which is a pretty clever/funny term.

There will simply never be something as funny for the folks packing more weight...even with a better name...but we can try?

I believe if we hope to make a derogatory name for folks that carry "more weight", it must make fun of some aspect or reason why they carry the relatively higher weight.

"Weenies" do it (in this stereotype) because they have no social skills, are in "Mensa", they have incredible attention to detail, and as alluded to in this thread, they will do all of this and mooch of others as they go along in order to maintain their high gram weenie status. This creates a pretty funny stereotype to poke fun at.

But what is the funny converse stereotype for people that pack "heavy"?

Most seem to simply either "like their comforts on the trail" or "do not give it much thought". Maybe some cannot afford to lighten the load? There is possibility there...maybe IF folks with heavy loads cannot afford to lighten up their weights, we could make fun of that? There is real potential there, but that really does not work, as most folks choose to pack heavier quite purposefully for "comforts" - which makes for a poor joke.

You could try and work in something converse to weenie...like "thoughtlessness". So people that just throw crap into a huge bag, then think they are uber manly or are merely thoughtless, and tire after a mile (never met such a person, but who needs accuracy here)...

Nothing really sticks in my mind....but here are some feeble attempts:

"penniless pound packer"?
    "Pound packing pauper"?
    "Meager Man of Mass"?
    "Thoughtless Tote Device"?
    "Oblivious Outfitter"?

It just feels like futility...the "gram weenie" has no equal on the other end of the spectrum.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Hefty hiker
    Weighty walker
    Pound puller
    Load lifter
    Seam stretcher
    Have load will travel
    Top heavy traveller

Why am i carrying 40lb load because i couldnt fit 50lb in the pack.
    I used to be heavy and proud
    Tacblades

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast