Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Understanding Hennessy Hammocks

Greetings! I'm a new forum member, but I've been hammock camping for a while now, and continue to do ongoing research to optimize my camping hammock rig for all different situations.

While shopping and researching mods, I almost always come across specific changes and considerations that need to be made for Hennessy systems, so it really just always interests me in the "why" of it all.

So, with that in mind, can anyone explain to me the appeal of a Hennessy system? From the outside looking in by just watching videos and such, it appears that it's simple in that it's an all-in-one system that would appeal to people who want the simplicity of this, but on the other hand, it seems very fixed and difficult to modify, so over time would just become more of a burden than anything.

I'm not trying to be combative or critical here, I just genuinely want more information, because I know that even experienced hammockers sometimes like the Hennessy systems, so there's got to be more appeal than what I'm seeing. Or maybe it's just that I prefer to be able to swap out lots of little parts, and that it's more of just a style preference thing.

Anyway, just looking for clarification. Obviously whatever works for you is the best system out there. I just like knowing what other people use and why.

Thanks!
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock was an HH Expedition Asym Zip and I bought it because it was an all-in-one system. I used it for two years. I swapped out the rope suspension for whoopie slings almost immediately and started hanging the tarp independently (I couldn't stand the tarp sag).

I could never stop getting calf cramps in my HH - the Expedition is just too short for me (5'11") so I sold it after two years. Two things I learned from my Hennessy hammock: 1) that I would never sleep on the ground again, and 2) that I would never own a hammock with a zippered bugnet again. When I get a calf cramp, my first instinct is to stand up, but I could never find the zipper to get out of my HH hammock.

After moving to hammocks with independent bugnets, I haven't had a calf cramp since. With a Fronkey bugnet, I can just swing my legs out of the hammock and I'm on the ground. Plus, I can leave the bugnet at home when it's not bug season (about 9 months of the year here in Jersey).

Would I get calf ridge (cramps) in a longer Hennessy? I didn't bother to find out.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've been using my HH Backpacker UL since about 2004. It is now referred to as the classic bottom entry. I kept it stock (no mods other than adding some Dutch Bling.
    Reason I bought it is as you said, it's a simple all-in-one system. It was the only camping hammock that I know of in 2004.
    Reason I keep it is it's hard to beat the comfort and simplicity. Also the Super Shelter option provides economical functionality ($100 UQ system good for my region).
    Weaknesses - it's small, I can't move the bottom insulation around in hot weather, and you can't have/fix 'breakfast in the hammock'. I don't like zippers on camping gear - so the bottom entry works great for me and these last two limitations are fine with me.
    Over the years i have built up a good supply of hammocks and insulation - my HH is still a favorite but a gathered end, UQ, and fronkey bugnet are also right up there.

So, my opinion is that HHs are great right out of the box as designed - modifications are not required.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 09-19-2016 at 12:26.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The Explorer Deluxe (what is now "classic") was my beginner hammock. Loved the bottom entry - nobody else has that - which by the way is the best method of dealing with bugs. You put a light on the ridgeline so that bugs are attracted up top, and then enter/exit on bottom. The stock tarp may be minimal, but doesn't require additional lines to the tree, and since it comes down right on top of the hammock, its very effective (for a classic bottom entry anyway, wouldn't want to be going in and out up top on the zip models).

Used a pad for a year or so and finally got an UQ, which I then realized I needed the zipper mod. So, instead of doing the mods with zipper and suspension, I sold it and got a more basic hammock as I had learned by that point that my need for a net was minimal.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have two HH and the only thing I have changed is to use Dutch straps to the tree and a biner on HH supplied rope. Guess I did finally do the 2QZQ Mod 4 to one of them since I wanted to be able unzip the netting but still want/use the bottom (classic) entry.

You don't have to change a thing on the HH system but folks around here like to tinker and to make things "lighter" for hiking.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I recently got my HH Expedition classic entry as an upgrade to the Equip hammocks I was using that Walmart sells once I decided to take the plunge and get off the ground for good. For me, I live on the water and bugs, mosquitos and spiders are VARY bad here. The bottom entry helps eliminate them following me in, and so far it works as designed. Also, the " all in one" aspect is great. I've replaced the stock suspension for 4mm whoopies with different tree straps and use a marlin spike hitch w/ toggle to attach and got the Typhoon fly instead of the Backpacker that's standard. As far as modularity, my Snugpak UQ fits great and I'm getting a JRB Winter Nest that's designed for the bottom entry of the classic for colder temps. The Winter Nest will also work on any other gathered end hammock so I don't always have to only use it on the HH. I've hung on my beach in the sand, in the woods, at home on a hill and other places and its always works as designed so far. They Typhoon fly is awesome ( check out my review with pics in the Henessy sub forum) and so far I'm absolutely pleased with how easy it is to quickly put the whole system up and take down. The Henessy system might not be for everyone, but there are options and different ways to skin the cat so to say if you get one. I don't have a calf ridge and get a perfectly flat lay every time I use it. They are a bigger cottage vendor, so maybe that's why some ppl dont like them? Idk.. But comfort and modularity are 2 main reasons I got my HH Expedition. Hope that helps!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Got the Expedition Asym Classic/Velcro bottom entry.
    Stayed majority in the basement.
    At the time, it was packaged well for its price.

The UQ is my latest obsession. It's a nice warm addition.
    At first, it was wrestling when trying to enter from bottom with the UQ, and trying to adjust the sides of UQ, from inside of the bug net.

Add a shock cord and problem is gone. It just bungees back to where you tied it.

I slept like a baby.
    No stiffness
    No sores.

I'm 5'7'' 160lbs soaking wet. Per rating, I should be fine + gears, i.e sleeping bag, etc

I added some carabiner and rappel ring since I can't tie a knot.

I thought about the zipper mod, but, not at this time

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I agree with nearly everything written on this thread. I think many people start with Hennessey as it is an all-in-one package with a hammock, tarp and suspension. And for a pretty good price.

It is also a cheaper way to find out if hammock camping is for you.

I started 5 years ago with a Hennessey Expedition classic bottom energy that I had 2QZQ add a side entry zipper to. The zipper was a real game changer.

I have probably slept 100+ nights in this hammock with no complaints.

But like most things you enjoy, you attempt to make the experience better. To optimize it if you will.

And that is when I started looking around at other hammock vendors finally going with the WBBB XLC which I absolutely love.

I still have my original Hennessey that my daughter now uses. I also have a Hennessey UL Explorer that I really like.

The problem with upgrading hammocks and equipment is that you can never stop. I then had to buy an underquilt and went with the JRB Nest which is incredible.

But now with the Wooki out, I am thinking about buying that as an under quilt for my XLC.

And I also just bought a new HG Burrow top quilt because I wanted a longer length quilt.

So as you can see, hammock camping is a wicked addiction. Not one that will ruin your body, only your pocketbook.

But it sure is fun. And nothing like a hike in to help keep your body and mind in shape.

Carl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Most Hennessy models are pretty economical and therefore a little more doable for folks starting out (scouts, new hikers, etc). As already mentioned they're kind of a "solution in a bag" (hammock, bug protection, suspension, tarp). I don't own one but I hear even the supershelter is a pretty good product.

I've had an Explorer UL for over 10 years. At the time I didn't understand much about getting insulation on the bottom other than pads and they were a pain. As a result it didn't get much use. Fast forward a few years and I met a thru-hiker on the AT that showed me a 2QZQ zipper mod and my first underquilt. Angels sang and the heavens parted (well, maybe it wasn't that dramatic) and I found the forums here. I don't know the date but that was my last intentional night on the hard/cold ground.

I picked up a 2nd one for one of my kids, both have been modded with whoopies to shave a bit of weight (I just hate that rope and the wrap) and zippers.

I'm actually kind of surprised that hennessy hasn't adopted a lot of the common mods on here and come out with an "advanced" line with better suspension, lighter zippers, etc.

Lots of very insightful comments already. I'll just add the fact that my Expedition probably isn't the best hammock in any one area - it's short, it's heavy, the tarp is small - but it darn well works and I trust it. It's a terrific starter system. The whoopie sling mod has pros and cons, but the 2QZQ mod really changed the character of the hammock for the better.

I guess bottom line is that it's a well thought out system, not the best, not the worst, but worth the money and worth a look.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast