Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

suspension gizmos for bridge

In case you don't track the Figure-9 thread, I put this post up showing a way to use lightweight gizmos to attach the top of a bridge hammock suspension triangle to rings.

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

nuthin too exciting

just a couple of use cases to report.

On the RRG hang last weekend I brought my bridge, the underbody with a Nest inside, plus a thermarest "for insurance", and the overshell. First night out reported to dip below 30 degrees, second night out a little warmer.

While I started out OK both nights, later I was getting some cold spots. Was not due to compression, I could reach down and feel the loft in the quilt. These temps should be fine with the Nest; it was easier to use the thermarest than to get out and try and figure out what's going on, so that's what I did. Because the bridge is essentially a trough, the pad sits nicely inside....so long as you stay put. Move and it moves too and needs to be adjusted. No new news there. (the underbody was not tensioned up tightly enough to hold the pad in place when placed between the hammock and underbody).

I figured the cold spots had to be due to the quilt not being close enough to me, rather than being compressed. The corners of the underbody are attached to a loop of shockcord, with a minibiner to clip onto the corner rings. The length of the shockcord loops are adjustable using a toggle.

With temps in the mid 20s forecast for T-day p.m., I resolved to resolve this problem. The last time I hung in the yard the wind came from the direction of the open end of the tarp. To eliminate wind as a source of issues I hung the hammock (for the first time) using my 2x4 end stand, at a different angle, at a more sheltered place in the yard. I wasn't sure I could hang the bridge on that because I normally attach the webbing to the tree at a higher point than the stand allows. I got it to work by cranking up the tension on the line to stand (see attachment); the lime cord is 3.8mm Spyderline run between a clip and a ring, tightened up. When in the hammock I just clear the ground.

(aside: The HH hex fly is an excellent fit for my hammock. At RRG I could, with minute adjustments, get the MacCat Deluxe to cover everything, but it was delicate.)

(another aside: I ran the tarp ridgeline cord over the top of the stand, and attached it to the the stakes that pull the stand back. This way, as I get into the hammock, the distance between the two tarp line endpoints does not change the way it would if you tie the tarp to the stand.)

Prior to attaching the underbody I spent a lot of time fluffing up the quilt, including taking it out of the underbody first (at RRG I'd left the quilt in the underbody when I lofted it.) After attaching it I was in and out of the hammock a few times tightening and testing the tension of the underbody against the hammock, til I got it positioned where I wanted it, and tight.

By late afternoon T-day the temps were at about 30, with wind-chill. I took a nap. Shortly after getting into the hammock I could feel that nice warm heat radiating back at me from below, something that I'd not felt at all at RRG. Good. Stayed that way for the hour or so that I was in there.

Something I've been wanting to do is to try and incorporate a couple of 1/8" Gossamer Gear thinlight pads. I've got two, 19.5" wide, which I adjoined along the long edge using duck tape (not a permanent solution, just to keep them together for a night). I slipped that pad between the hammock and underbody (still with quilts of course). It sticks up over the edge of the suspension webbing a little at the center. Because it's thin, I figured it might conform nicely to the bridge trough.

Spent the night in this configuration, very comfortable. Temps were in the 20s all night, lowest point according to wunderground.com was 24. The sense from below was more neutral, than radiating warmth. Never cold, not even Not Warm. Just sorta neutral. I was using an ancient Gerry down sleeping bag (original temp rating long since forgotten, but likely to be in the sub-0 range) as a quilt, insulated top and bottoms on me.

In the morning there was no condensation on the overbody above me, but the head end cap is sil and that was well frosted. It is a full foot beyond my head and so there was no danger of me or my down bag brushing up against it in the night.

All in all a success. Now I'll wait for temps in the teens and work in a second quilt in the underbody and see how that goes.

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great report Grizz, is that HH hex tarp silnylon?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Great report Grizz, is that HH hex tarp silnylon?
    thanks. No, its the one I got with the netless Safari that I didn't and still don't need. Nice tarp. I'm waiting on the JRB winter tarp, trusting that that one will serve for the bridge. I'm certain that the HH silnylon one will.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    FWIW,

I was just out looking at the tarps:
    • The HH silnylon hex tarp - not cat cut - (coyote brown), is 12'x11' for $129.
    • The new JRB cat tarps (brown or green) are 11'x10' for $104,
    • the Ed Speer winter cat tarp, (which is what I think you mean) is 11'x10' for $119-- only in grey.

But this is mostly for my own edification...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    FWIW,

I was just out looking at the tarps:
    • The HH silnylon hex tarp - not cat cut - (coyote brown), is 12'x11' for $129.
    • The new JRB cat tarps (brown or green) are 11'x10' for $104,
    • the Ed Speer winter cat tarp, (which is what I think you mean) is 11'x10' for $119-- only in grey.

But this is mostly for my own edification...
    I do mean the JRB tarp, in brown. Called it a winter tarp because the "doors" can fold back.

Thanks for looking up the lengths...its ossible I'll end up with the HH sil after all; I'd make add on doors, (well, one anyway) to give 3 sided coverage in wind.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Okay. Quick question for you Bridge builders. I was looking at the JRB BMB and it kinda looks like the ends of the hammock are cut on angles. It looks like angled ends would affect the tension on the hammock and would also better allow the reclining/lounging like in this pic.

The ends may not even be angled but I was just wondering what your thoughts would be on doing this on the ends of the hammock. I'm sorry if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread. I didn't want to read through the 30+ pages. Here's a pic of what I am talking about:

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Okay. Quick question for you Bridge builders. I was looking at the JRB BMB and it kinda looks like the ends of the hammock are cut on angles. It looks like angled ends would affect the tension on the hammock and would also better allow the reclining/lounging like in this pic.

The ends may not even be angled but I was just wondering what your thoughts would be on doing this on the ends of the hammock. I'm sorry if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread. I didn't want to read through the 30+ pages. Here's a pic of what I am talking about:
    you're right, I think that the ends on the BMBH do angle back for lounging. That's handy.

But I'm also finding handy the foot or so of hammock floor+sides beyond the bar for holding "stuff". The floor drops beyond the spreader bar because the width decreases. So this depression holds whatever I toss in there at night. Last night it included a poncho liner (in case I wanted more beneath me---I didn't).

A long while ago I had the idea of using a separate piece of fabric for a "Lazy Boy" lounger. It would clip to the rings on the inside, and be long enough to sit on. The tension on the fabric between rings and butt provide the back support. Resurrecting that idea for the current version of the hammock is on my to-do list.

Also on my to-do list is making a layer from the insul-bright fabric that would go between the hammock and the underbody, just as my GG pad did last night. I can get it at the local Jo Ann fabric store. I'll make it so that could serve as a separate summer time underquilt. Seems an excellent match for the bridge, as I can make the thing to be taut up aginst the hammock body just as I do the underbody that holds the quilt.

Grizz

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    you're right, I think that the ends on the BMBH do angle back for lounging. That's handy.

But I'm also finding handy the foot or so of hammock floor+sides beyond the bar for holding "stuff". The floor drops beyond the spreader bar because the width decreases. So this depression holds whatever I toss in there at night. Last night it included a poncho liner (in case I wanted more beneath me---I didn't).

A long while ago I had the idea of using a separate piece of fabric for a "Lazy Boy" lounger. It would clip to the rings on the inside, and be long enough to sit on. The tension on the fabric between rings and butt provide the back support. Resurrecting that idea for the current version of the hammock is on my to-do list.

Also on my to-do list is making a layer from the insul-bright fabric that would go between the hammock and the underbody, just as my GG pad did last night. I can get it at the local Jo Ann fabric store. I'll make it so that could serve as a separate summer time underquilt. Seems an excellent match for the bridge, as I can make the thing to be taut up aginst the hammock body just as I do the underbody that holds the quilt.

Grizz
    hey Griz, is that a picture of a store bought bridge or a hand made? I'm gonna make one.....
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    hey Griz, is that a picture of a store bought bridge or a hand made? I'm gonna make one.....
    Mule
    The picture that HC4U pointed to is the commercial version, with one of the Jacks of "Jacks R Better" fame modeling the lounging capability.

After a weekend with HC4U, me, Hooch and Cerberus, I knew you'd get hooked on the DIY thing. A guy that can make concert quality musical instruments is going to make production quality DIY hammocking gear. I for one am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

All-Mule already has a name for his DIY bridge :

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 102 of 136 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast