Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I was in our local Dicks looking at poles Christmas eve, but they didn't have this one on the floor. Too bad. Sounds like just the thing, provided that you can separate the sections and get some dowel rods in there. The same Dicks had Leki Tour poles, but I couldn't separate a pair of sections with a firm tug. Pretty sure you're supposed to be able to replace any section of any Leki so probably it comes apart.

Anyway, do let me know if you go with the Vanguards and they do the job.

Grizz
    Yeah - the last time I visited the store about 6 months back, I was looking at hiking poles for no good reason and the only thing they had in stock were the Leki. I wonder if Dicks will ship to the local store and not charge shipping??

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Yeah - the last time I visited the store about 6 months back, I was looking at hiking poles for no good reason and the only thing they had in stock were the Leki. I wonder if Dicks will ship to the local store and not charge shipping??
    I did what you likely did, which was to go through the ordering process up to the point where it seemed like I was really going to be charged $$ for it. Did not see a "Ship to Store" option like some places have, so I bailed out.

I found, looking for other places that sell Vanguard, that there must be a parent company that owns ****'s and several others. They have different names, but the web-sites are a lot alike. The dead give-away is the list of states where sales tax is collected, e.g., states where this outfit sells retail.

But did you see these poles at Campmor? $20 each, they have adjustable enough sections that you can make them short enough for use as a spreader ( a number of hiking staffs don't, be careful to check for minimum length!) They are 11 oz, slightly lighter than the Vanguards.

I'm taking one (well, two) for the team and ordered a pair. I've been in the market for a MSR kettle anyway, shipping is less costly amortized over more items, on this order somehow standard shipping was free so it's all good. If you can wait on getting your poles, I'll report on the suitability of these as spreaders.

Grizz

what ever happened to the bridge without spreaderbars? I liked it. im assuming it was not the best option?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    The wooden dowel in the poles talk - is it that the normal adjustment lock won't hold when you use them as spreader bars? I've loaded them pretty heavily when hiking and never had them slip, but maybe there will be more force than I thought in the spreader arrangement. What if I run two lines all the way to the tree hugger, wouldn't that reduce the compression some?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    It will reduce the compression but I will let the math guy's give the final answer .
    I think the problem would be trying to get the lines the same length every time you hang. The first time I hung my bridge to test I had one side of the triangle just a little bit longer and the hammock would lean that way. I would not want to deal with this on every hang.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

what ever happened to the spreaderless bridge??

Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    what ever happened to the bridge without spreaderbars? I liked it. im assuming it was not the best option?
    That's a solved problem.
    1. hang the hammock low.
    2. Pull the sides apart with high strength guy-lines about 8' long
    3. May need to use 2 stakes per line
    4. WILL need to use mechanical advantage to pull them apart far enough.

But
    a) being able to do this depends on the soil
    b) you have to hang the tarp high and wide enough so that the guylines go under it

so there's more set-up involved. It's not the easiest option, but may be the best option for full width (60") bodies and flat lays (48" spread).

Since I've found a hammock size and spread I find comfortable for which I have a pole solution, I'm working with that at least for winter configurations. The Man Who Started The Bridge Thread (funbun) is out there somewhere, I think he was going to use this, and also make a cool in-the-house stand. But he's a modest retiring sort, not one to dazzle us all with his exploits.

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    The wooden dowel in the poles talk - is it that the normal adjustment lock won't hold when you use them as spreader bars? I've loaded them pretty heavily when hiking and never had them slip, but maybe there will be more force than I thought in the spreader arrangement. What if I run two lines all the way to the tree hugger, wouldn't that reduce the compression some?
    The dowels thing is TeeDee's solution; I think he came upon it after seeing his poles slip without that. I know at least one othere guy reported that his poles collapsed under force without dowel re-enforcement. I'm a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    It will reduce the compression but I will let the math guy's give the final answer .
    oh yeah. That trig stuff matters. Going from a 48" side to a 27.5" side (as I've done to hit a 10' ridgeline) increased the force by a factor of just over 2. But increasing the size of the compression triangle has diminishing returns. A 64" length side has 72% the compression of a 48" side, an 80" side has just under 60% the compression of a 48" side.

I think the problem would be trying to get the lines the same length every time you hang. The first time I hung my bridge to test I had one side of the triangle just a little bit longer and the hammock would lean that way. I would not want to deal with this on every hang.
    you've got that straight! I went back to a ridgeline I could just clip the hammock to when I discovered all the twiddling that is needed to tune the suspension whenever you change trees otherwise. Common lengths of sides is just one of them.

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    But did you see these poles at Campmor? $20 each, they have adjustable enough sections that you can make them short enough for use as a spreader ( a number of hiking staffs don't, be careful to check for minimum length!) They are 11 oz, slightly lighter than the Vanguards.

I'm taking one (well, two) for the team and ordered a pair. I've been in the market for a MSR kettle anyway, shipping is less costly amortized over more items, on this order somehow standard shipping was free so it's all good. If you can wait on getting your poles, I'll report on the suitability of these as spreaders.

Grizz
    I'd be interested to see how they work with the
    Spring Antishock System

Thanks -

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    I'd be interested to see how they work with the Spring Antishock System.

Thanks -
    saw that and wondered myself. Hey, this is hammock science. We gotta take some risks to advance the state of the art. At risk here is one $20 pole that might not be useable after dissection!

This science is cheaper than particle accelerators anyway.

Hoping to have the poles in a week, that's pretty typical for Campor.

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Computer was Dead on start this afternoon. Got a new computer, hoping that replacing the power supply on the old one will get it working again, otherwise I will have to pull the hard drive to get everything. Don't know when I'll be able to get back to watching your progress. Bummer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 108 of 136 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast