Page 2 of 136 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    When you write flat - do you mean flat from head to toe or flat from shoulder to shoulder?
    I think that's the best definition of what shoulder squeeze is. It's not that your shoulders are being squeezed as much as they can't lie flat.

Suddenly, Claytor's Bat Hammock doesn't seem so crazy after all, lol

If he could refine it a bit so you could hang it between two trees like most camping hammocks he may be on to something.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    About two years ago I called Tom Hennessey and talk to him about this concept of using hiking poles to spread the hammock apart like this and he did not see where it would help the hammocker.
    Maybe he should talk to Slowhike about that one, then. He seems to have great success with using his trekking poles as spreader bars. But then again, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others as well.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Here are my thoughts from laying in it for a few minutes.

-It is really comfortable.

-I did not feel any torque on my waist when I laid on my side or stomach.

-You need a pillow. Not a big deal just something to figure in. I use one anyways.

-I would need somthing underneath my knees or between them on my back or side. Again, I use one anyways in a hammock and in a bed.

-I need a long model. When you are figuring the length, remember when sleeping on your stomach that your feet will add a few mintues of length. Probibly on the order of 6" to 1'.

-I would made the head end high enough to be able to sit up in it and use it as a back rest without having my head in the netting.
    Not too sure what you mean here - do you mean you would close off the head end with fabric in some manner and then sit with your legs out in front of you and your back against the added fabric?

-I would use hiking poles as spreader bars. I slept in the backyard in my hammock last night and was thinking about it. I would rig something up where one side would attach to the handle side and the other to the end of the first section in the hiking pole. This would put all of the force on a continous metal section and not on 2 or more sections.

-I would use spectra to go into the rings then straps to the trees just like my normal hammock. This would also save some weight.
    Do you mean using the spectra along the ends of the hammock where the Australian one uses rope? Unless you stitched the spectra all along the edge as the Australian one did it wouldn't work. Also, you would need a twisted rope to hold the stitching in twists of the rope. Braided or rope with a braided cover wouldn't work. Really narrow webbing, probably polyester webbing for the strength would work. The webbing could be sewn in the hem easier than rope and sewn to the fabric at the same time. Wouldn't want to use any webbing wider than 1/2" though. The webbing would pucker along the curve if too wide and distort the curve.

-I think 1.9 untreated would work just fine and save weight over the material they use.

-I would make mine a little wider. When I laid on my side my knees would hit the sides. This width is kind of determined by the length of the spreader bar.
    When you tried the JRB version, did it seem wide enough for a pad?

In the end I like the design. I am planning on making one when I get back this winter. I want to make it also since I think it would work on the ground really easily. I would use an inflatable pad, probibly a DAM as bottom insulation in the air and padding on the ground. I think it would be the perfect hammock for the times when you do not know if you can hang or not, but still need bug protection.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    For those of you lucky people who got to try out the JRB hammock at Trail Days I have a question for you: How did you get in and out of the hammock?

I noticed looking at the pic of the JRB hammock it looks like one of the ends is open. You don't crawl through the end of it do you?

I was also looking at the webbing used for the suspension. Are those biners at the junction of where the hammock webbing meets the webbing that goes to the trees?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I think that's the best definition of what shoulder squeeze is. It's not that your shoulders are being squeezed as much as they can't lie flat.
    I think the solution to shoulder squeeze is to have a wider spreader bar near the head end.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rptinker View Post
    I think the solution to shoulder squeeze is to have a wider spreader bar near the head end.
    hmmmm - differential spreader bars - great idea.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    For those of you lucky people who got to try out the JRB hammock at Trail Days I have a question for you: How did you get in and out of the hammock?

I noticed looking at the pic of the JRB hammock it looks like one of the ends is open. You don't crawl through the end of it do you?

I was also looking at the webbing used for the suspension. Are those biners at the junction of where the hammock webbing meets the webbing that goes to the trees?
    to get in, you open up the bug net on the side & sit down just like a speer/top entry type.
    as best i can remember & tell from the picture, those are biners.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rptinker View Post
    that's one of the things that the jacks are still looking at... longer/wider spreader bars.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Maybe he should talk to Slowhike about that one, then. He seems to have great success with using his trekking poles as spreader bars. But then again, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others as well.
    the trekking pole/spreader bar that i use doesn't have as much force on it as i think the JRB bars do. and if they make them wider, they will no doubt have even more force on them.
    to get a better idea of what my trekking pole does, lay in a top entry hammock, reach up w/ both hands & spread the top edges of the hammock out.
    it doesn't take a lot to open it up.
    when you do, your shoulders make a little less contact w/ the hammock walls & you have a better view of the world around you. ...tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 136 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast