Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Images
    I'll have to admit. I finally read through the whole page linked. Before I just looked at the first pic and did not realize there was more. Those are some pretty good directions.

I think you could knot it like funbun is talking about. Instead of sewing it, I would consider sewing a loop or channel of either webbing or heavy ripstop for the line to go into. The channel would be small enough that the line could not pull out of it. I think the material would be stronger than a seam or two. You could rig up for speader bar attachment to the end of the line to help keep it from pulling out.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'll have to admit. I finally read through the whole page linked. Before I just looked at the first pic and did not realize there was more. Those are some pretty good directions.
    And there's a PDF download at the bottom.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    And there's a PDF download at the bottom.
    I just got done looking at that. I think this is not going to be hard to make. The only unknown is the attachment for the suspension. I think the ideas both of us have in our heads will work.

I have a paper for school (hopefully my last major huddle) to write this weekend. If I get done early sunday I was planning on sewing the last bit I have to do before my hike. Just a hammock sock and a backup, and another noseeum pocket for my ridgeline. If I get a chance I might make one of these. Nothing special. Just a test one using the plans off the site and my idea for the suspension. I'll probibly just use a small board for now for the spreader bar, I don't want to risk my treking poles right now. I usually put some pillows underneath my hammock stand when I test out something I am unsure of, so a couple inch fall isn't a big deal.

Man it took longer than I though for me to convince myself to make one of these. I must be slipping.

what is the purpose of the pleat on the head end?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    .... I do not think you need anything along the cat edge. I think that the fabric will hold and distribute the force along the curve just fine.
    Interesting - I think that something is essential along the cat cut end of the hammock to keep the edges from just laying out flat and to hold the forces of the occupant. Otherwise you are going to have a piece of fabric that is going to just flop about as a person gets into the hammock. There would be nothing to hold the shape. The rope or webbing is the whipping to hold the shape.

Does anyone know if the JRB uses anything along the edge or just hemmed fabric?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you could knot it like funbun is talking about. Instead of sewing it, I would consider sewing a loop or channel of either webbing or heavy ripstop for the line to go into. The channel would be small enough that the line could not pull out of it. I think the material would be stronger than a seam or two. You could rig up for speader bar attachment to the end of the line to help keep it from pulling out.
    I am pretty sure you are going to have to sew the rope or webbing to the full length of the cat cut ends. If you sew a channel and thread spectra through the channel, the fabric will just slide on the spectra and bunch up where the load is greatest. The webbing/rope will have to be sewn to the full cat cut to distribute the load.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    what is the purpose of the pleat on the head end?
    To slightly cup the end to keep the pillow/head from sliding out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Interesting - I think that something is essential along the cat cut end of the hammock to keep the edges from just laying out flat and to hold the forces of the occupant. Otherwise you are going to have a piece of fabric that is going to just flop about as a person gets into the hammock. There would be nothing to hold the shape. The rope or webbing is the whipping to hold the shape.

Does anyone know if the JRB uses anything along the edge or just hemmed fabric?

Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Wouldn't the force be applied to the edges of the cat curve in the same way that they are on a cat tarp? If so the rolled hem on the fabric would handle and support the force. Sewing anything to it would just serve to reinforce it.

The devil in this detail might be the direction that the force is pulled in on the ends. It will probibily have to be attached just right to pull the ends up.

I just can't see a reason other than reinforcement to sew anything along the edge. I can't remember for sure, but I do not think the Jacks hammock had it.

Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Wouldn't the force be applied to the edges of the cat curve in the same way that they are on a cat tarp? If so the rolled hem on the fabric would handle and support the force. Sewing anything to it would just serve to reinforce it.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    .I'm seriously considering this as my next project. In fact, I may be able to use my old 10 x 10 Speer style tarp since this hammock will only be 7 feet ( a foot or so longer than I am tall. I guess 8 feet would work also for storage space.
    may as well turn any unused, well supported space into storage space.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2110148.JPG
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast