GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Thanks for the attachment.
    We'll see if an evil virus takes over the laptop.....

Did you take the measurements laying down with your feet together, arms by your side? Or did you have you arms over head (I saw the measurements increase after your head)?
    yeah, the arms were problematic. I took chest measurements without them (needing the arms to take the measurements!) and then fudged the data along that section of my trunk to account for them. Kinda sorta. You being a scientist and all no doubt recoil in shock and horror at fudging data . Up round the head I took one measurement, around my chin I think, and then just used it for the rest of the head.

It's pretty crude.

The spreadsheet column "Est. Weight" turns the circumference measurement into the area of a circle (and takes the weight to be proportional to that). Something more accurate would compute, say, an ellipse with a ratio of major axis to minor axis that would vary with the position on the body. Or, easier to compute perhaps, squares side by side, with the number of squares varying with the body position (e.g., 2 around the legs, 4 at the shoulders, 1 at the head). Shouldn't be to hard for someone who likes to tinker with Excel. This is a transformation from a Perl script I wrote (which computed the center of mass, rather than assumed the mass was centered). It would be an easy change to make in Perl.

I'm not convinced any of that matters very much for the purpose of getting a flat lay from the Bridge, which is why I didn't push the detail that far.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It's not called "fudging" in science; it's called presenting a "hypothesis".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yeah, the arms were problematic. I took chest measurements without them (needing the arms to take the measurements!) and then fudged the data along that section of my trunk to account for them. Kinda sorta. You being a scientist and all no doubt recoil in shock and horror at fudging data . Up round the head I took one measurement, around my chin I think, and then just used it for the rest of the head.

It's pretty crude.

The spreadsheet column "Est. Weight" turns the circumference measurement into the area of a circle (and takes the weight to be proportional to that). Something more accurate would compute, say, an ellipse with a ratio of major axis to minor axis that would vary with the position on the body. Or, easier to compute perhaps, squares side by side, with the number of squares varying with the body position (e.g., 2 around the legs, 4 at the shoulders, 1 at the head). Shouldn't be to hard for someone who likes to tinker with Excel. This is a transformation from a Perl script I wrote (which computed the center of mass, rather than assumed the mass was centered). It would be an easy change to make in Perl.

I'm not convinced any of that matters very much for the purpose of getting a flat lay from the Bridge, which is why I didn't push the detail that far.

Grizz
    I figured you were using some pretty rough numbers.
    I agree that it doesn't have to be all that exact.
    I laid on the floor and marked off 90"
    That adds quite a bit of room!!!
    Looks like my next version just got longer.
    Hmmm.... I wonder how that effects the lounger?
    I guess I need to make that next version to find out
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My wife's cousin came over for lunch today and brought his digital camera so I got 3 pictures before the batteries died.

The first picture shows my temporary, jury rigged gear loft:

The deep purple/blue on the right is the foot side draft stopper. The picture shows how I have it tied off to the corner ring and a length of polyester braiding sewn to the webbing.

I used some silnyl I had available for the temporary gear loft. That stuff is very slippery and I have had trouble keeping the corners tied to the corner rings and the para cord. Found a method to keep it tied. The gear loft works really well. The batteries died before I could get a picture from inside the hammock showing the loft lowered. I wanted to show that there is a lot of room between me and the loft when the loft is raised in position and that it is easy to lower with the Prussik loop and reach inside.

There is plenty of clearance to enter and exit the hammock. I don't even touch the loft on entry/exit.

For the final version I will just use some 1.1 oz uncoated or DWR ripstop, use grosgrain on the edges with loops on the corners and use MLD Dacron guy line cord to tie to the corner rings and to connect to the Prussik loop micro-carabiner.

I like the gear loft a lot - I can just leave the loft in the hammock when I take the hammock down. It makes for convenient storage of clothes and quilts and other bulky items and still have them readily available in the hammock and out of the way.

Got 2 pictures from the outside of the Bride Hammock Pillow. The first shows the pillow from the head side looking in over the corner with the arc cut:

It is kinda hard to tell, but the pillow is "floating" a few inches above the hammock.

The two para cords coming off the top of the apex of the triangle are tied off to the 2 head side corner rings.

The pillow is completely adjustable using the adjustable hitches on the para cords.

The second picture shows the pillow from directly outside of the head side, looking down the hammock. You can see the gear loft and the draft stopper on the foot side of the hammock:

The sag of the hammock increases when I get in the hammock and there is even more room between me and the gear loft than shown in the picture. I can move around, roll on my side and twist and turn and not touch the gear loft. Plenty of clearance.

For the final version of the Pillow, I will use a slightly larger triangle. I think the triangle shape works well. Also, I will replace the polyester webbing with some grosgrain. The grosgrain will be softer and much lighter. Also, I will replace the para cord with MLD guy line cord which will also be much, much lighter. Those changes will probably bring the weight down close to or under 1 oz for the pillow.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

gear loft

TeeDee--that gear loft looks huge! A great way to make use of that space. Speaking of which, how high above the spreader bar is your ridgeline?

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee--that gear loft looks huge! A great way to make use of that space.
    Looks really big, but leaves a LOT of room when I'm in the hammock. I didn't measure it - just grabbed a piece of silnyl, folded down to what looked to be appropriate and jury rigged. The width, from hammock end to end is slightly more than the ring to ring distance. The spreader bar is 800 mm, so the loft width is approximately 800 mm to maybe 850 mm, say 825 mm. The other side of the rectangle, I don't really know, but comes to about mid-thigh on me so that would probably be about 840 mm to 890 mm. The fabric is rectangular and when I put anything in it and pull the Prussik to lift the loft floor, the front comes together in the triangular shape. That pulls the sides up and keeps everything inside. The more I test it, the more I doubt that a spreader bar will really be needed for the loft.

And yes there is a lot of room inside the loft. Any quilt would fit with lots of room to spare.

Maybe I can rent space there???

Speaking of which, how high above the spreader bar is your ridgeline?

Grizz
    Let's see I measured that a while back for the head side and that was 327 mm if memory serves me right. Let's see, 327 mm == 12.9". Yeah that's about right.

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It's not called "fudging" in science; it's called presenting a "hypothesis".
    In the Air Force we used to call it a SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess)

Images
    Tee Dee,
    I need some help with the ends. I am making end pieces for the bugnetting and it's the same shape as your draft stopper.
    It seems to me that it is diamond shape with the bottom two sides of the diamond are longer by about 20% than the top two sides. That bottom 'point' will be rounded off...
    Or are you just making a triangle on top with a rounded bottom....?
    Thanks
    Scott

RWE

Images
    I still can't envision that pillow being comfortable I guess I just have to take your word for it.
    Also, that gear loft is huge! Do you think the end attached to the ridgeline could be tailored a bit an the excess fabric cut off?
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    I still can't envision that pillow being comfortable I guess I just have to take your word for it.
    Also, that gear loft is huge! Do you think the end attached to the ridgeline could be tailored a bit an the excess fabric cut off?
    Yes the floor of the loft could be made triangular, but you will lose some the "wall" effect that makes it an efficient storage loft.

You could also, just make it shorter, i.e., not come as far up the hammock towards the head side.

You would have to try various shapes and lengths to see which you like the best. Just do some jury rigging as I did on various sizes and shapes and see which you like the best.

As I wrote, I didn't do any scientific evaluation of the shape and size needed or wanted. I just wanted to get something up and see if it even worked. It does, very well.

I like the size - it holds anything I would want to put in it. The rectangular shape is easy and ultra simple to make. Also, it is not in my way while in the hammock or while getting into or out of the hammock and it doesn't block my view of anything except the foot side suspension. So I really, at this point, do not see any advantage to making it smaller or using a triangular shape.

I measured the size I'm using - it is 31" by 38". That is less than 1 sq yard of fabric. Using 1.1 oz ripstop, the ripstop comes to slightly under 1 oz. The grosgrain around the edges will be approximately 0.60 oz. I doubt the MLD guy line cord I will use will be much over 0.1 oz. So the whole gear loft, at the same size as what I currently have will come in at approximately 1.7 oz.

Not much weight for a lot of storage and functionality.

If you used a triangular shape floor, assuming the height of the triangle remains the same as the height of the rectangle, then the weight of the fabric would be cut in half to 0.5 oz, the grosgrain weight would be cut by 0.1 oz (the perimeter is dropped from 138' to 113", you don't save that much on the grosgrain), which would bring the weight to 1.1 oz. You would save 0.6 oz, but I don't know how much usability you would lose because you have cut off the "walls" that keep things inside the loft.

Try and see

• + New Posts
  • Page 50 of 136 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast