Page 52 of 136 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Images
    since it was brought up again,

reversing the terminology to get around the ridgeline patent will cause the hammock to be a possible infringement of the asym patent instead. taking a cat cut out of one or both "ends" of the bed fabric is a patented feature of 6865757 (asym patent), even though the resulting shape would be symmetric with regards to the suspension axis.

so on a "regular" hammock, this would be done to raise the sides or middle of the bed fabric, like ed does when he pulls un-even amounts of fabric through the binding. doing this by cutting a curve or angle into the fabric is part of the asym patent, and if you call the "sides" of the bridge hammock the "ends", you may trading one infringement for another.

Bet you guy's didn't know cutting a cat curve into the end of the bed fabric was patented too.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    since it was brought up again,

reversing the terminology to get around the ridgeline patent will cause the hammock to be a possible infringement of the asym patent instead. taking a cat cut out of one or both "ends" of the bed fabric is a patented feature of 6865757 (asym patent), even though the resulting shape would be symmetric with regards to the suspension axis.

so on a "regular" hammock, this would be done to raise the sides or middle of the bed fabric, like ed does when he pulls un-even amounts of fabric through the binding. doing this by cutting a curve or angle into the fabric is part of the asym patent, and if you call the "sides" of the bridge hammock the "ends", you may trading one infringement for another.

Bet you guy's didn't know cutting a cat curve into the end of the bed fabric was patented too.
    Interesting point warbonnetguy - If tom's asym patent can be viewed in that manner, then are you violating his patent and if so do you have a license agreement with him? I wonder if maybe the Jacks are aware of such an interpretation? If that is the case then it would appear that maybe they are caught betwixt and between and have decided that they would rather fight that they do not have a ridge line.

Also, I don't think I am merely "reversing the terminology" - I am really just using accepted definitions of terminology to view the hammock in a manner that follows those definitions. I suppose you could always call the portion of the hammock from which it is NOT suspended as the "end" of the hammock in one situation and as the "side" of the hammock in another situation, but I prefer to keep things consistent.

An argument could be made I suppose for calling the portion of the hammock in which you enter/exit as the side, but I've never seen a definition to that effect. But people have always called the end of the hammock that portion by which it is suspended. In the case of the Bridge Hammock, that is also the portion by which you enter/exit.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    "moderator w/ powers beyond those of us mere mortals" ...now that's pretty silly. i'm just working for you guys. attrol & jeff can remove me or discipline me at any time, as they see fit.

"knee jerk reaction w/o thought or consideration"... nope, maybe i could have waited a while longer before responding to your post & came across a little differently, but what i said is pretty much how i still feel about it<g>.

i'm not about to waste a lot of time arguing w/ you.
    the way you choose to use & place words like defend, attack, argue, & question, to fit your bill, pretty much speaks for it's self. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    yeah, i understand your use of the terminology, i just said "reverse terminology" because it is reverse of a "regular" hammock. i don't have an arrangement with tom, thats why i'm holding the website off line right now. i'm still in the middle of talking with him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Interesting point warbonnetguy - If tom's asym patent can be viewed in that manner, then are you violating his patent and if so do you have a license agreement with him? I wonder if maybe the Jacks are aware of such an interpretation? If that is the case then it would appear that maybe they are caught betwixt and between and have decided that they would rather fight that they do not have a ridge line.

Also, I don't think I am merely "reversing the terminology" - I am really just using accepted definitions of terminology to view the hammock in a manner that follows those definitions. I suppose you could always call the portion of the hammock from which it is NOT suspended as the "end" of the hammock in one situation and as the "side" of the hammock in another situation, but I prefer to keep things consistent.

An argument could be made I suppose for calling the portion of the hammock in which you enter/exit as the side, but I've never seen a definition to that effect. But people have always called the end of the hammock that portion by which it is suspended. In the case of the Bridge Hammock, that is also the portion by which you enter/exit.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

intramural wrassling

my $0.02, prefaced by the assertion that I have no dog in this fight. I suspect I'll manage to get both Tim and TeeDee Ticked (T-cubed!) at me.

Tim, when TeeDee first posted his long explanation of why he rotates the terms applied to the hammock by 90 degrees, I puzzled it out. I understand what he means, but don't like and don't use the terminology. Having said that, his motive for doing it is as he says---to try to create a basis for an argument that the cord that controls the flatness of the lay is not the same thing as the patented ridgeline. It was not an attack on anyone, and it is really a shame if you've been angry about that post for a long time thinking that it was an attack. It's going to be harder for you as moderator to tell others to be civil when threads spin out of control, at least hard to do so and be respected.

Decisions of what is and is not patent infringement rest with juries of ordinary people. And ordinary people are going to look at the bridge hammock, and figure the short edges are the ends and the long edges are the sides. Arguing that the long edge is really an "end" because the hammock suspends from it wil be a very hard sell, particularly since the bridge hammock hangs from the trees with the same orientation as does a traditional hammock. His distinction is as much a technicality as would be an argument that the suspension cut falls under the TH asymmetry patent---it is not anywhere near plainly obvious. TeeDee is entitled to use and argue for his terminology, just as the rest of us are free to accept, reject, or ignore it. He has made his case, it has internal consistency to it, and he has done so dispassionately and without rancor towards anyone.

But TeeDee raises an interesting question about what the Jacks are trying to patent. I have a hypothesis, supported by no data, just inference.

One obvious possibility is that when they filed the patent they were unaware of the Oz site, and filed a claim on the suspension cable concept applied to hammocks. If that patent were awarded, it would be easy to challenge.

There is another possibility. Imagine the Jacks showing up at TD with the Bear Mountain Bridge and setting it up. TH comes over and says what? You know as well as I : "I have the patent on that ridgeline". The Jacks know this is going to happen, and they know that if they are going to be able to sell this hammock they will either have to license the ridgeline concept from TH, or have a defense against the ridgeline patent claim. We can tell from the photo that they are trying to make that thing be different. It's not inside the hammock. It's made of webbing, even though that's heavier (the ridgeline patent refers to the ridgeline as "cord"), there is a ring buckle for adjustment, not a funky wrap do-thingy that is described in the patent, which supposes a round cord. Different all-in-all, perhaps enough to convince a jury that there is no infringment. But, those of us that have been toying around with the bridge know that having that line be too long allows for a phenomena you don't have in a traditional hammock---the inverted bannana. Their webbing is setting flatness, not only minimal sag. The argument (and it is also a technicality) would that their device controls something more encompassing than what the ridgeline patent addresses. They could have filed a patent for a device that keeps the bridge hammock from the inverted bananna, using language that makes as large a distinction from the ridgeline patent language as possible. Since the Oz hammock doesn't have a ridgeline, there is no obvious prior art there.

So that's my $0.02 and my WAG.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-07-2007 at 09:57.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Yep. As does the Bear Mountain Bridge hammock, it seems, but I've got bugnet rising higher to a ridgeline that is tall enough for me to lounge in a la Lazy Boy or lounger. Or just sit up without danger of losing my ears

Outside and below I'll have the sort of adjustable second layer that Scott discovered. Could be bugnet or 1.1 oz. But _something_ to make the nasties have to work harder to get at my tender loins.

Or leave at home if not needed.

Grizz
    Back to our regularly scheduled program......

I plan to use an adjustable bottom as well. Instead of connecting to the hammock itself, I am just going to attach the netting to the bottom layer (which is just another hammock really). I figure this will allow me to completely remove the netting if I want, allow me to pull the netting away to lounge, and also allow me to put insulation below me for the cooler weather with bugs still around.

Currently I am prototyping with a store bought net that I've cut to fit. I figured for $15 I'm getting cheaper netting than I can get at hancock or jo anns....

I just need to pick up some velcro to finish it. Currently I have the bottom suspended by two ropes, two ends and the top. The ends will connect to the top by velcro and will be sewn to the bottom. The top will be sewn on one side to the bottom and left open on the other. The other side will then just be tucked in between the bottom and the hammock. We'll see how that works. Hopefully it will be good nuff and then I can avoid a zipper. To lounge without the net I would simply undo the velcro on both ends and peel to the side, tucking it into the sewn side.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    I remember from high school a method involving a string and nails. Since I'm going to give this ellipse thing a shot, I went a googling looking for ways to draw them and found a promising string free method.

Grizz
    WHAT!
    That method over my highly sophisticated method!
    of all the......
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    WHAT!
    That method over my highly sophisticated method!
    of all the......
    My netting needs to be fitted 'round the interior part of the hammock, not taken all the way out to the ring buckle. So I'd been planning to use ellipses for that before TeeDee suggested doing so. My draft caps could use the highly sophisticated Scott-o-gram, but I'd never get that right His post was helpful in digging out the particulars of ellipse parameters because I'd not done the research on that yet. I only remembered the ellipses had major leagues and minor leagues...or something....

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-07-2007 at 10:45.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    my $0.02, prefaced by the assertion that I have no dog in this fight. I suspect I'll manage to get both Tim and TeeDee Ticked (T-cubed!) at me.

Tim, when TeeDee first posted his long explanation of why he rotates the terms applied to the hammock by 90 degrees, I puzzled it out. I understand what he means, but don't like and don't use the terminology. Having said that, his motive for doing it is as he says---to try to create a basis for an argument that the cord that controls the flatness of the lay is not the same thing as the patented ridgeline. It was not an attack on anyone, and it is really a shame if you've been angry about that post for a long time thinking that it was an attack. It's going to be harder for you as moderator to tell others to be civil when threads spin out of control, at least hard to do so and be respected.

Decisions of what is and is not patent infringement rest with juries of ordinary people. And ordinary people are going to look at the bridge hammock, and figure the short edges are the ends and the long edges are the sides. Arguing that the long edge is really an "end" because the hammock suspends from it wil be a very hard sell, particularly since the bridge hammock hangs from the trees with the same orientation as does a traditional hammock. His distinction is as much a technicality as would be an argument that the suspension cut falls under the TH asymmetry patent---it is not anywhere near plainly obvious. TeeDee is entitled to use and argue for his terminology, just as the rest of us are free to accept, reject, or ignore it. He has made his case, it has internal consistency to it, and he has done so dispassionately and without rancor towards anyone.

But TeeDee raises an interesting question about what the Jacks are trying to patent. I have a hypothesis, supported by no data, just inference.

One obvious possibility is that when they filed the patent they were unaware of the Oz site, and filed a claim on the suspension cable concept applied to hammocks. If that patent were awarded, it would be easy to challenge.

There is another possibility. Imagine the Jacks showing up at TD with the Bear Mountain Bridge and setting it up. TH comes over and says what? You know as well as I : "I have the patent on that ridgeline". The Jacks know this is going to happen, and they know that if they are going to be able to sell this hammock they will either have to license the ridgeline concept from TH, or have a defense against the ridgeline patent claim. We can tell from the photo that they are trying to make that thing be different. It's not inside the hammock. It's made of webbing, even though that's heavier (the ridgeline patent refers to the ridgeline as "cord"), there is a ring buckle for adjustment, not a funky wrap do-thingy that is described in the patent, which supposes a round cord. Different all-in-all, perhaps enough to convince a jury that there is no infringment. But, those of us that have been toying around with the bridge know that having that line be too long allows for a phenomena you don't have in a traditional hammock---the inverted bannana. Their webbing is setting flatness, not only minimal sag. The argument (and it is also a technicality) would that their device controls something more encompassing than what the ridgeline patent addresses. They could have filed a patent for a device that keeps the bridge hammock from the inverted bananna, using language that makes as large a distinction from the ridgeline patent language as possible. Since the Oz hammock doesn't have a ridgeline, there is no obvious prior art there.

So that's my $0.02 and my WAG.

Grizz
    no grizz, you didn't get me ticked w/ that post<g>, & when you say "it is really a shame if you've been angry about that post for a long time thinking that it was an attack." , it's not like i really dwelt on it in anger.
    & if you look again at my post above, you'll see that i didn't describe that post in particular as an "attack".
    i said i was amazed by it AFTER all the deceptive, lawyer like talk by teedee & what i saw as attacks (in earlier posts) on those that spoke out against tom's latest talk about his patents on any ridge line.

and yes, i know that lawyers & others can use all kinds of twists & turns on terminology to help others see things the way they want them to.
    but my point is still the simple point i've made from the start of the patent discussion.

i haven't discredited tom's line of hammocks & accessories. in fact i've spoken highly of them.
    nor have i said that tom had no right to keep people from copying & selling his hammocks.
    my focus has been mainly on two things in particular... ridge lines & snake skins.

even if tom's lawyer can convince a jury that his patent on ridge lines prevents any one from being able to use any form of "structural" ridge line, it's not in the interest of the hammocking community, or even keeping people from copying tom's hammocks, but it would serve to "corner the market" or as i've said before, unnecessarily constrict creativity & growth in the hammock community.
    same basic principal w/ the snake skins. if tom has no desire to provide the larger skins that some people want to be using, would it really be any skin off his back to allow other hammock makers to provide more variations?

now please don't get me wrong... even though i have expressed some anger in earlier posts, i'm not sitting here typing all this out w/ gritted teeth<g>.
    i really don't like conflict, but some times it's just necessary to explain what's on your mind. ...tim

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    scott, grizz & others... i'm really sorry that in our disagreement, teedee chose to delete all those posts.
    i know that's a great disappointment for those working on a bridge hammock. ...tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 52 of 136 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast