Page 99 of 136 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge Hammock

Images
    All sounds reasonable to me... Just make sure that the 36" sleeve is "thick" enough to compensate for the "over stuffing"...

Also I'd probably opt to sort of "accordion" the quilt into the narrower sleeve making sure there's fabric to allow the overstuff effect to optimize your loft.

In fact I think its a pretty neat idea. You could make the outer part from light mesh/net fabric to ensure good breathability and minimize moisture retention in the quilt itself...

Images
    yea I think it's a spiffy idea Grizz.
    It makes is possible to use any quilt...
    I have a summer quilt that would work fine as an underquilt with it 'accordioned' up like rapt said.
    So many options...
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

polish underquilt

ah, I knew it was a good idea to seek the collective wisdom of HF. It would not have occurred to me to accordian the quilt, but that makes perfect sense.

I recently got some interesting material out of the WM $1 bin, looks like no-seeum mesh, appears to be strong. Is black. Now has a purpose!

thanks for the tip.

Grizz

Images
    Grizz,
    I awoke this morning remembering something I suggested a couple of years ago on the yahoo group. I uploaded a pdf in the file section over there. Scroll down to the bombhatch pdf.
    I never executed it because of the problems doing this with a HH or speer type hammock. It was also suggested not to sew into the hammock like that.

Anyway, this got jarred loose from my 'file system' somehow this morning. The reason I came up with it was to be able to use variable thicknesses of insulation. You would be able to snug it up however much you like.
    However, later I started thinking of another way instead of the 'bombhatch' style. One side of the undermost piece would be sewn in (long side). The other side would be left hanging down. I thought a piece of line or shockcord could be on the other side and then the fabric could be cinched up depending on its thickness. It could then be backtracked on velcro or something.
    That last bit is where I ran into a snag, but maybe the group can come up with a solution.
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Grizz,
    I awoke this morning remembering something I suggested a couple of years ago on the yahoo group. I uploaded a pdf in the file section over there. Scroll down to the bombhatch pdf.
    I never executed it because of the problems doing this with a HH or speer type hammock. It was also suggested not to sew into the hammock like that.

Anyway, this got jarred loose from my 'file system' somehow this morning. The reason I came up with it was to be able to use variable thicknesses of insulation. You would be able to snug it up however much you like.
    However, later I started thinking of another way instead of the 'bombhatch' style. One side of the undermost piece would be sewn in (long side). The other side would be left hanging down. I thought a piece of line or shockcord could be on the other side and then the fabric could be cinched up depending on its thickness. It could then be backtracked on velcro or something.
    That last bit is where I ran into a snag, but maybe the group can come up with a solution.
    That's close to what I'm doing. I sewed the underbody last night, with Freemagic strips the long way separated by 36", centered. To these I'll make and attach sidewalls, Freemagic on the long edge, strips like railroad ties at 90 degrees. A quilt support piece with Freemagic on the long edges will cap the side walls. Height is adjustable by where the Freemagic is positioned to meet.

Thought about using Freemagic in the long direction to attach the quilt support, but I'd get the height wrong I'm sure, and this way it's adjustable.

Hope to be finished this weekend. Temps in the mid 30's predicted for Saturday night. Seems like a good test run.

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What is "Freemagic", which you have mentioned 5 times in this one post?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    What is "Freemagic", which you have mentioned 5 times in this one post?
    I was talking to Scott who knows what it is, and forgot there is an Internet-wide community of eavesdroppers. Well you, anyway, and Cannibal.

FreeMagic is a brand of Velcro with hooks and loops all on the same side, so there is only one type of side. I gather that Omnitape is another brand with the same property. Much prefered when working with bugnetting (and my underbody is no-seeum netting) because it doesn't snag like the hooks do on ordinary Velcro.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Ok thanks. I figured it was some type of velcro. Jacks 'R Better is REALLY fond of Omnitape for that purpose. Really, don't get Pan started on the subject of omnitape . (j/k Pan, if you read this).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

the "velcro" that both sides have little mushrooms instead of hooks or loops is my favorite, it has a strong hold and doesn't snag anything.

Images
    I 'think' I understand what your doing grizz.
    Do you think you need two sidewalls?
    I think you might be able to save some weight, time and complexity by just sewing one on and leave the other side for adjusting.
    If I understand the 'railroad' dohicky correctly that seems like a lot of magic.
    Are you running that many strips along the whole length of the sidewall?
    Scott

RWE

• + New Posts
  • Page 99 of 136 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast