Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Looks great, Griz. I might have to try making one of those types of hammocks sometime. I've got plenty of material, I'll just need to get webbing for the suspension.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Go for it. They are simple to make. More simple than you'd think.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Came home from work a little early so that I could hang version 0.1 . My goodness, what a difference a foot of fabric in width makes. Whereas v 0.0 was cozy, but on the tight side, v 0.1 is spacious, very very nice. I cut a curve with maximum depth 12" into a piece from a 62" wide roll, length is 90" inches.

My beautiful and talented wife models v 0.1.

At 5' 7", she shows just how long it is.

I have no-see-um netting that is 117" wide, from Barre Army/Navy. Cutting the main piece, in one piece, will be easy. Sewing it all together and fastening to the hammock body will be another matter. Here I've draped some of it over v 0.1.

More fun to come.

Grizz
    Looks great Grizz --- uhh the hammock also.

Images
    very nice! version 0.1 is getting one of those.

What I hope you'll find with the LazyBoy is an ability to sit more upright than you can in the lounger....the lounger is better at shallow angles because there's no messing around with scooting the fabric when you move.

Grizz
    That's what I'll be interested in seeing. The lounger seems more like the convential hammocks which I like. I'm not sure if I'd prefer being more upright or not. We'll see....
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Came home from work a little early so that I could hang version 0.1 . My goodness, what a difference a foot of fabric in width makes. Whereas v 0.0 was cozy, but on the tight side, v 0.1 is spacious, very very nice. I cut a curve with maximum depth 12" into a piece from a 62" wide roll, length is 90" inches.

My beautiful and talented wife models v 0.1.

At 5' 7", she shows just how long it is.

I have no-see-um netting that is 117" wide, from Barre Army/Navy. Cutting the main piece, in one piece, will be easy. Sewing it all together and fastening to the hammock body will be another matter. Here I've draped some of it over v 0.1.

More fun to come.

Grizz

First of all nice find on the noseeum. That could certainly make things easier!
    I'm impressed by the extra room your wife has in v 0.1. I'm 6'3" and for me to get that kinda room would make the hammock closer to 100"

So you used you curve again that was symmetrical?
    Any differences in that regard with more fabric?
    Do you think the having the curve adjusted for the heavier upper end is advantageous?

Other q's
    What size rings did you use for the spreaders?
    How long are the spreaders?
    In miss-grizz-prone.jpg it looks like she could be a little more comfortable with less shoulder squeeze. I'm not sure if having the offset parabola would help or just a wider spreader bar.

Looks chocolate brown to me
    I have two hammocks made from it and like the color.
    Scott

RWE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Looks great, Griz. I might have to try making one of those types of hammocks sometime. I've got plenty of material, I'll just need to get webbing for the suspension.

It really is pretty quick.
    I used stiff card stock to make a template using the measurements from the aussie site.
    From there it's really pretty quick and would take just as long as it does to hem up a speer type hammock.

It's also fun to dive into uncharted territory like this.
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    First of all nice find on the noseeum. That could certainly make things easier!
    I'm impressed by the extra room your wife has in v 0.1. I'm 6'3" and for me to get that kinda room would make the hammock closer to 100"
    I'm 6' 1". I came up with 90" on measuring what I need to be fully on the hammock with my toes pointed back, and my arms folded above my head.

So you used you curve again that was symmetrical?
    No, this time I used the curve I tailored to my estimated body weight, assuming my 73" were centered in the 90" bed, with no weight on the portions of the bed where I'm not. The normalized curve is plotted below

Any differences in that regard with more fabric?
    As you can see, the computed curve has sharper slope and so puts more fabric on the body, except for the very last part of the foot end.

Do you think the having the curve adjusted for the heavier upper end is advantageous?
    There are a number of things different between v 0.0 and v 0.1. I will say that v 0.1 seemed to be flatter over a wider range of settings of the structural ridgeline. What the curve above shows is a very visible correction for non-uniform distribution of weight (the sharper slopes); the correction for one end being heavier than the other translates into about a 10% difference in height between the foot end and the head end. Whatever, something right is going on there. On the other hand, it was easy enough with v 0.0 to get the flat lay once I understood the dynamics between ridgeline length and outer web tension (dynamics, I'll add, that are the same for any hammock. With my fixed ridgeline HH I'd never had to think about it). I certainly would not say that someone needed to do anything special beyond a parabola to get a flat lay with this style of hammock.

Other q's
    What size rings did you use for the spreaders?
    How long are the spreaders?
    1" OD steel rings rated to 200 lbs, from Lowes. 0.4 oz each. (v 0.1 is not
    focusing on weight issues.) I'm using the same spreaders as for v 0.0. The foot end is 30", in the pics the head end is 33" (although it can be adjusted out to 36"). This weekend I'm going to make another spreader from the same stuff, move the 33" one down to the foot, and go with a 36" one at the head.

In miss-grizz-prone.jpg it looks like she could be a little more comfortable with less shoulder squeeze. I'm not sure if having the offset parabola would help or just a wider spreader bar.
    Wider speader will help. Also her shoulders are pretty close to the middle.

Looks chocolate brown to me
    I have two hammocks made from it and like the color.
    It does in daylight, doesn't it. I like it too.

Grizz

Images
    Thanks for the info Grizz.
    Do you think your normalized curve is good for general dimensions?
    Say for someone like me?

Also, I noticed you didn't reinforce the corners.
    I have been looking at the corners while I'm in the hammock and really don't think the reinforcement is doing much.
    On the next version I might drop it.
    If not I might just use some 2" seatbelt webbing to reinforce the very tip.
    So let us know if you see any issues in the corners.
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Thanks for the info Grizz.
    Do you think your normalized curve is good for general dimensions?
    Say for someone like me?
    probably. But you can compute your own if you like. I slipped a .xls into an attachment by zipping it first. There are some instructions embedded in the document. The data that is in it right now drives my own curve.

[Of course, that .zip may be loaded with some evil that allows me to 0wn your machine. How much do you really trust this Grizz guy, anyway? Just some fancy talking stranger on the internet...You wouldn't click on an .zip attachment that some stranger sends you by email now, would you? I hope not. Shadowmoss won't touch it. She knows better.... ]

Also, I noticed you didn't reinforce the corners.
    I have been looking at the corners while I'm in the hammock and really don't think the reinforcement is doing much.
    On the next version I might drop it.
    If not I might just use some 2" seatbelt webbing to reinforce the very tip.
    So let us know if you see any issues in the corners.
    I dropped it because I didn't see that for the webbing based approach the corner is under any more stress than anywhere else (less in fact because there is less weight at the ends), and I didn't see any stress there.

Grizz
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-03-2007 at 09:27. Reason: added notes and Perl script to zip file

Images
    probably. But you can compute your own if you like. I slipped a .xls into an attachment by zipping it first. There are some instructions embedded in the document. The data that is in it right now drives my own curve.

[Of course, that .zip may be loaded with some evil that allows me to 0wn your machine. How much do you really trust this Grizz guy, anyway? Just some fancy talking stranger on the internet...You wouldn't click on an .zip attachment that some stranger sends you by email now, would you? I hope not. Shadowmoss won't touch it. She knows better.... ]

I dropped it because I didn't see that for the webbing based approach the corner is under any more stress than anywhere else (less in fact because there is less weight at the ends), and I didn't see any stress there.

Grizz
    Thanks for the attachment.
    We'll see if an evil virus takes over the laptop.....

Did you take the measurements laying down with your feet together, arms by your side? Or did you have you arms over head (I saw the measurements increase after your head)?
    Scott

RWE

• + New Posts
  • Page 49 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast